May 14th, 2009

Cornyn expects Hutchison to resign this fall

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/05/14/art.hutchison.gi.jpg caption="Hutchison is mulling a run for governor."](CNN) - National Republican Senatorial Committee Chairman John Cornyn said Thursday he expects fellow Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison will resign her seat "this fall sometime" to focus on a run for governor, according to the Houston Chronicle.

"We certainly can't afford to lose that [Hutchison] seat," he said.

Hutchison has yet to formally announce she will challenge Gov. Rick Perry for the GOP gubernatorial nomination. But the third-term senator announced an exploratory committee in December, and already has a Web site and staff in place, ready for a primary campaign.

Several Texas Democrats are already gearing up for a hypothetical special election to replace Hutchinson. That list includes Houston Mayor Bill White, who has raised more than $2 million for the race.

Filed under: Kay Bailey Hutchison
  1. Tulsa

LOL..... just LOL!

May 14, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  2. Eleanor

On behalf of Progressives everywhere, I'd like to offer my very best wishes to Ms. Hutchinson. She's a classy dame. I hope she wins the gubernatorial race! Good Luck!!

May 14, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  3. Sam in Houston

Kay has my vote for Texas governor

May 14, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  4. dcusseaux

Go Bill White Go! Best pick for Texas senatorial run yet!

May 14, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  5. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

The seat is lost.

May 14, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  6. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Mayor Bill White is the man for governor and has the experienced background to prove. Kay Baily Hutchinson couldn't make it in Washington and the staff left her high and dry, we don't need a person who can't work with others sitting in the governor's office.

May 14, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  7. I can see Canada from my house!

What a great sight..two Texans, each claiming to have perfect hair, engaging in a conservative Civil War to claim the mantle of Governor, or President, of Texas. Have they cleared this with Chuck Norris?

May 14, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  8. reggie

She will make a great governor just as she has been a great senator. No worries, the republicans will keep her senate seat in Texas.

May 14, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  9. robert

As long as Perry and his corruption are gone, I'm happy

May 14, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  10. Julia

Even as a Democrat, I have always felt that Kay has always been a very fair-minded, smart, very capable lady. She'd be a great governor for the state of Texas and I am sure Texans will welcome her with open arms. She is one of the few good Republicans around. I hope she continues her success.

May 14, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  11. Irene

Good – I hope the Dem's get that seat too!

May 14, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  12. I used to like CNN but not anymore!

Just what this country needs, more special elections that will drag on forever and ultimately be decided by the courts! Democracy in action! YAY!

May 14, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  13. Texas Annie *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

John Cornyn must be the "anointed one" the GOP expects to step up to a leadership role. He makes a nice public appearance... but it ends there. He has been a DO NOTHING puppet Senator for Texas ever since he took office. I had high hopes for him, but he has been a total disappointment IMO.

Kay hasn't exactly impressed me as a Senator either. I know her personally, and while she's a great lady, she hasn't been much of a Senator. BUT, she would probably be a better Governor than that nitwit we've got sitting in the Governor's office right now.

May 14, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  14. Dan, TX

There is virtually no chance that a democrat could win a senate seat in Texas. But, I'll do what I can to try to get my district to vote Democratic.

May 14, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  15. Tennessee Libertarian

Hutchinson is a RINO, nowhere near in the class of Perry.

May 14, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  16. Frank, Las Vegas

Good, I hope she does, another seat for the Democrats.

May 14, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  17. Longhorn7

Go ahead resign that way we will be rid of another Republican. Because the new Governor of Texas will be a Democrat.

May 14, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  18. David S. Robins

It will be good to have this Texas hag out of the Senate. Let's hope her successor is a Democrat.

May 14, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  19. KING

Didn't Texas just secede from the United States?

May 14, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  20. Remedios, MD

"That would set up a special election in the spring of 2010 that could prove to be a headache for Republicans as they struggle to keep Democrats from getting a filibuster-proof 60 votes in the Senate."

Have all the GOP Leadership been dropped on their heads as babies or what?

John Cornyn is proving to be another ERIC CANTOR TWIN. This guy is so delusional that you just have to shake your head at all this GOP HOGWASH!!!

The GOP party is "shaking in their boots". Their kicking folks out of the party rather than getting them to stay AND they wonder what the Democrats will get their 60 seats in the Senate? Really?

Wow....

May 14, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  21. Cowboy in West Texas

I would hate to loose her representation in the Senate – I think she does Texas more good there than in Austin.

May 14, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  22. Corey

KBH is a great Senator and will make a fine Governfor for the Great State of Texas!

May 14, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  23. Stacy from Leesburg, VA

I bet senate Republicans do not relish the thought of a democrat in the Senate from the Lone Star State. They had better send M. Steele in to talk some sense to her! Opps, don't do that because after the meeting, she'd change parties too.

May 14, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  24. Art

Good luck Sen. Hutchinson!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  25. dominican mama 4 Obama

Uh-oh!! This does not bode well for the NO team.

May 14, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |