May 22nd, 2009

Lives of McCain, Obama to overlap at Naval commencement

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/05/22/art.omac.gi.jpg caption="Obama will deliver a commencement address with multiple McCains in the audience. "](CNN) - When President Obama delivers the commencement address at the U.S. Naval Academy on Friday, he will have a former presidential candidate and proud parent of one of the graduates in attendance.

John Sidney McCain IV, more commonly known as "Jack," will become the fourth McCain to graduate from the Annapolis, Maryland, service academy and the fourth with the same name.

About mid-day at the academy's commissioning and graduation ceremony, McCain will receive a Bachelor of Science degree, take the oath of office and be commissioned as an ensign in the U.S. Navy 103 years after his great-grandfather did the same.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain • President Obama
  1. JT

Excellent speech, and Excellent President.

May 22, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  2. Republicans are the American Taliban

When will Bristol Palin show her patriotism and join the military??

May 22, 2009 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  3. paul

I find it interesting how cnn has provided a platform for any Republican talking head who defends the Bush administration and its failed policies and is so critical of President Obama's efforts to clean up their mess. Is it not enough that they have an entire network? Or is Rupert Murdock now a partner of Time Warner? Is it still CNN or CNOX? This is very troubling to me. My friends and I are complating seeking NEWS elsewhere.

May 22, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  4. Moderate Republican

Congratulations, God Bless you on defending our country, and go make some money w/ that degree!!!
    President Obama, despite the hate my party spews, I respect you.

May 22, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  5. Rob

And we're all just eagerly awaiting Meghan's idiotic posts about going to this. Although, seeing as her new friends the libs are anti-military, she may not go. Hey, gotta keep on the good side of those who'll plaster your face on the tube.

May 22, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  6. rob in austin

i don't understand why this is a topic that needs the attention it is getting. even though mccain lost the election, i haven't seen anything truly showing hate from him to obama. and either way, this event is not about them. its about the graduates and the work they put in to attain a degree. past events of these two should not interfere with that.

May 22, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  7. phoenix86

I can see why McCain is there. I cannot understand what Obama would be doing giving the commencement address. Obama is working hard to weaken the US miliary in all areas, including the Navy.

May 22, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  8. Kelby In Houston, TX

Congradulations John and "Jack" McCain we wish you the very best as you embark on your Naval career. And I am sure everyone who is intelligent* is proud of the tradition of service that the McCain family has provided this country.
    For some reason, I hope that one day yet another John McCain will continue this great tradition

May 22, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  9. BJNJ

Who's the rock star and who is a "commander in chief". The rock star makes decisions by the polls. The commander in chief does what's right. Who's who!!!!!!

Releasing the memo's on enhanced interogation opinions was just plainly stupid.

BJNJ

May 22, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  10. Cowboy in West Texas

Good to see the McCain family continue to serve our country – thank you to all of them. And I don't see anything political about this – I would have been proud to have the President speak at my graduation over 35 years ago. Can't wait to see how people make a big deal out of this somehow.

May 22, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  11. Tate

90% of these guys hate Obama. My uncle is a retired Delta and hates the guy with a passion. Would rather have his wife as comander n Chief because he is only a friend of terrorist and a coward.

May 22, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  12. hongli

Any one who supports CRIMINAL DICK CHENEY should be tried for war crimes and torture in the HAGUE and if found guilty should be punish by the death penalty.

May 22, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  13. Vic

President Barack Obama and Senator John McCain are proof that two decent men with class who can disagree without being nasty. We need more like them.

May 22, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  14. donttreadonme

Sorry John Sidney McCain you deserve better than this man at your commencement .

May 22, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  15. Danny E. Gonzalez

Sen. McCain should be extremely proud! I watched the president speak at Notre Dame and I have to tell you it was a very good speech, very gracious (the president of Notre Dame was extremely eloquent and gracious as well); this is the kind of rethoric the country must engage... civil disagreement but towards an eye of conciliatory ideas and solutions. Very impressive... I wish Mr. Cheney could do the same... I'm far more impress with Pres. Bush for accepting his new role as citizen... very gracious indeed.

May 22, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  16. Michael (Nashville,TN)

Congratulations!
    Fair winds and following seas.

May 22, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  17. white female

Good for him, we're proud of our servicemen, and I know his parent is proud also. I hope that this younger generation can bringabout some peace in this (USA) and the world. We have a great start in this New, and young President Obama to do that.
    May God bless america.

May 22, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  18. Joe

OMG People....

Obama is the Commander In Cheif.

Who would you rather have than your boss? Joe the Plumber?

May 22, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  19. obambi

What are you bitter about, Frank in Las Vegas? Your side won, unfortunately. I could not watch Obama's speech today after hearing him bash American Pres and VP day after day in the Media. I am surprised that he accepted this speaking engagement. No doubt he used another opportunity to bash Americans and to highlight himself as usual. McCain's are both great Americans.

May 22, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  20. Paul

someone on here asked, "How can a NON_MILITARY person give the commencement at the naval academy"? You probably missed that civics class, but President Obama is Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States.

May 22, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  21. Honest Abe

Umm.... So..... This is a story

May 22, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  22. Lynda/Minnesota

I am sure the McCain family is very proud as they should be. Congratulations . . .

May 22, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  23. Eric in Colorado

Paul you are a complete fool. CNN is in the tank for Obama and every other left wing crazy like yourself. Hongi put your anger and stupid comments on your daily kos website. We don't need morons like you with your hatred of everything that is not socialistic.

May 22, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  24. Independent in Virginia

You messed up CNN – Democrats and some Republicans don't like McCain.

Comments here are ridiculous. It isn't really news, but I don't see the point for nasty comments.

May 22, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  25. joann

Congratulations and thanks to the McCain family for their patriotism and sacrifice.

May 22, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |