May 26th, 2009

Obama to visit Saudi Arabia on June 3

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Barack Obama will begin next week's trip to the Middle East and Europe with a visit to Saudi Arabia, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs announced Tuesday.

Obama will meet with Saudi King Abdullah in Riyadh on the evening of June 3, Gibbs said. He will spend the night in Saudi Arabia before flying to Egypt the next morning.

Obama is scheduled to deliver a long-awaited speech on relations between the United States and the Muslim world in Cairo, Egypt, on June 4.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Fed Up

To bow or not to bow...

May 26, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  2. Chi Town

Don't forget the knee pads

May 26, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  3. Marc in MS

Betcha he won't hold hands with the king.

May 26, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  4. Suez

Plenty of fellow Muslims there to befriend.

May 26, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  5. demwit

I can see it now.., Obama on his knees in front of the King that is..

May 26, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  6. Ken

No. It is to be meek, humble and be a human being not cow boyish arrogance and I don't care attitude of yester- years.

May 26, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  7. alvino

I hope Obama does not kiss the King and hold his hand like Bush did.

May 26, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  8. Steph

Will he stroll down the street hand in hand with the prince like shrub did?

May 26, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  9. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

@ Fed Up

Bush hugged the guy. Your case is weak. Is that all you right wing nuts got to talk about? A bow, a teleprompter? 2012 is looking vey dim for you guys.

May 26, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  10. Bitter Republican, party of No I mean one, your table is ready!

Uh oh, in about two minutes every conservative will label Saudi Arabians as terrorists, and say Obama is a muslim.

Because Muslims are also terrorists in the eyes of Republicans.

May 26, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  11. ANGIE IN PA

FED UP
    I Bet Bush asked laura Should I kiss the King and Hold hands and Hug or Shouldnt I?

May 26, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  12. Mary, NH

Kudos Sonja, stand your ground and get ready to fight. The no-nothing-do-nothing GOPers are going to hit you hard. Why? Because they don't like President Obama. They'll get over it, trust me, because he will be in office another 4 years after this first term.

Obama 2012

May 26, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  13. Thomas C Evans

Here you see the two faces of the Republican persona. On the one, there is the facial pretense they do not engage in policy playing with the Judiciary. On the other, nothing but frowns the minute a nominee not known to be an arch conservative, is put forward. When viewed together, the hypocrisy is apparent.

May 26, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  14. Kelly, NY

Yes, that's fine, but make sure he's protected.

Obama 2012

May 26, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  15. J.P.

Coming to a terror state near you... it's Bow-Fest 2009!

Did the POTUS not get enough genuflection time with the good king the last time?

May 26, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  16. j

I`m tired of kissing up to the oil barrons here and abroad. The quicker we let them keep their oil, the better off we`ll be in the future.

May 26, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  17. JT

Seem to remember George W Bush groveling and pleading with the Saudi's on more than one occasion. What an embarrassment he was!

May 26, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  18. Chi Town

JT May 26th, 2009 4:07 pm ET

Agree... and sadly the embarrassment continues.

May 26, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  19. alvino

Our president continues to reach out, trying to undo the mistakes of the last 8 years.

Maybe Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Tenet could make a trip to Spain. I hear the weather is great there.

May 26, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  20. alvino

Hope he doesn't whine to the King like "W" did.

May 26, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  21. Mark

I bet Obama doesn't bow to the Saudi King this time.

May 26, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  22. TCM

JT – get over it... Bush is still getting calls from your messiah..

"George, George...what should I do?"

At least Bush never bowed down to the muslim radicals.....of course, birds of a feather stick together.

May 26, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  23. TCM

@ DUTCH – could you possibly get any further up Obama's ass? I mean really, dude, your ignorance of the real world is revealed each time you post here; like some sort of glee club cheerleader. Get a job, get a life....pay your own way.

May 26, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  24. Greg in AR

I'm not a Muslim, just a Viet Nam veteran that also served 13 months in Afghansitan. My son served 23 months in Iraq.

I wish Obama much success.

May 26, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  25. Shannon

Let them drink their oil and eat their sand. Let the Afghanistani Taliban war with Al Queada over control. Lets leave 70% of their women illiterate.
    Lets watch them produce nothing but war. Let the Shias shoot the Sunnis or the Jihadis overthrow the Palestinians(?Hamas?) or lets just let the Iranians nuke them all to toast.. Let them fight it out in a internecine Semitic way and lets stay the hell away from there. Why do we keep getting into other people's business? Do you want to pay for this? I don't want to give another tax dollar to anyone for anything we should be able to produce right here in the home 50. No way neither party at all. Other than that I have no strong feelings.

May 26, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |