May 27th, 2009

Gingrich: Sotomayor 'racist,' should withdraw nomination

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/04/06/art.newt.jpg caption="Gingrich tweeted that Sotomayor is a 'latina woman racist.'"]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Rush Limbaugh isn't the only one calling Sonia Sotomayor a racist. Newt Gingrich is, too - and he's demanding that Obama's pick to the Supreme Court withdraw her nomination.

On Twitter, Gingrich pointed to a line in Sotomayor's 2001 speech to a Hispanic group in Berkeley that has drawn fire from some conservatives.

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experience would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life," Sotomayor said in that speech, describing how life experience can inform judicial opinions.

On Wednesday, Gingrich tweeted: "Imagine a judicial nominee said 'my experience as a white man makes me better than a latina woman.' new racism is no better than old racism."

Moments later, he followed up with the message: "White man racist nominee would be forced to withdraw. Latina woman racist should also withdraw."

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs responded to Gingrich's criticism at Wednesday's briefing.

"I think it is probably important for anybody involved in this debate to be exceedingly careful with the way in which they've decided to describe different aspects of this impending confirmation," Gibbs said.

Filed under: Newt Gingrich • Sonia Sotomayor • Supreme Court
  1. Shasta

For once, I agree with Newt.

May 27, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  2. JR

Gosh, Gingrich, Limbaugh and Coulter are calling Sotomayor a "racist", now there's a fine bunch of hypocrites and liars. Do you think the GOP is dumb enough to keep following their lead?

May 27, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  3. johnny

Dear CNN,

I have a television, and a computer, and a radio. If I gave a good ____what Gingrich thinks, I'd follow him on twitter. If I felt the strong urge to hear what Limbaugh thinks about anything, I'd tune him in. These people don't need their own media outlets, they have CNN. I have never had this much exposure to Rush Limbaugh in my life and I have never tuned in to his radio program. Something is definitely not right about that.

May 27, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  4. richard miller

The repugs are at it again....kind of like the pot calling the kettle black.

May 27, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  5. Alice

Good work, Newt. Stir that racial pot. Maybe you'll get Sarah Palin's voters in 2012.

May 27, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  6. Clinton Fringer

While her statement doesn't bother me in the least, under the current politically correct rules we are supposed to follow Newt is actually correct. Dang! How did that happen?

May 27, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  7. DJW

Who ask Gingrich to cralw from under his rock!!! Also did racist make this country you should ask my grandfather Mr gingrich????

May 27, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  8. This sorry POS is sold as an intellectual

And he actually thinks he DESERVES to be President. The ONLY purpose that Newtie serves is to illustrate exactly how bereft of ideas and even plain decency the Republican party has become. Every time he opens his mouth votes for his party evaporate. This is a new low for an already abysmally pathetic little man.

May 27, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  9. Jeff

Tell me again, why are we listening to Newt Gingrich? I seem to recall he quit the House when things got too difficult.

May 27, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  10. Jack Van Fossen

Poor Newt- The Republican ship is lost at sea. His comments appear as an attempt to bolster their chance of regaining control of the White House with himself as Captain. The GOP revolution is dead. Move on–it's time do what's best for the country, not the GOP and their base.

May 27, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  11. larry florida

If there ever were people who were racist, it would be these right-wing nut cases... I will be so glad when they pass from the scene and we can get past these bitter old men from the south.

May 27, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  12. Peter (CA)

Aw Newt, even though I don't agree with you much I would have thought you were better than that idiot, Limbaugh.
    To take that phrase and make it out to be a racist sentiment takes a special kind of stupidity.

If you don't like her because you don't think she is qualified to be a Supreme Court nominee, then so be it. At least that is a respectful line of questioning.
    Then again, given Clarence Thomas, you may not have much room there either.

May 27, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  13. Franky

For the record GOP or should I say, "Minorities"(Conserves), what do you know about Racism?? Tell me, what do you know? So, she's a racist, huh? And Bill Clinton is horny, huh? And Hillary is a dumb broad, huh? And I guess Joe Biden is a...well, you know, hilarious! LOL!!! Ohh and don't forget my boy, President Obama...he's probably the biggest racist ever in our country's history, LOL!!

Ohh and by the way, since we have a black President, does that mean the black community should be well aware of what he's doing and how he'll make their life better? You know what I'm talking about...geez GOP, watch out, the black people are coming for you...Booooooo!!!!

LOL!!!!!!

May 27, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  14. Hope

In this country Republican Christians are the most foul mouthed people.

May 27, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  15. Cleaning up after W

Good, Newt. I see you've gotten your talking points from the Rushberry Doughboy memorized. Keep driving the wedge, boys.

May 27, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  16. Daley

Woo hoo! Go, Newt Go!

Talk about the GOP taking the bait. I thought former Speaker Gingrich was too smart for this, but apparently not.

The Rupublican Party demographic death spiral continues. They sure are trying hard to go the way of the Whigs; they just don't seem to realize it.

Once again, Obama outfoxes the GOP "leadership."

May 27, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  17. dreamer

Seems once again the party of NO has tried and judged.You sure your christians?Judge not least thee be judged....least thats what i read.

May 27, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  18. Paul Williamson

Old man Gingrich has finally lost it . He got booted out of Congress, holds no office, and like Limbaugh, is trying to run the US Government with nobody behind him. He's just a sad old fool whose time has long past him by. The less we hear from him, the better...especially since he has been a white racist for the last 30 years. The more we hear from him and Republicans like him, the longer the Republicans will be out of power, they will just be a footnote in a history book in 20 years.

May 27, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  19. Jackson

Give me a break Newt and Rush should crawl back into the hole they came out of.

May 27, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  20. Tony in Maine

Keep shrieking Newtie. You're painting an accurate portrait for all the world to see the real Republican Party.

May 27, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  21. Terry, Butte, MT

Can we have the full context of her statement? It sounds to me that she was answering a specific question about a specific circumstance. There are certain points of view people have because of their culture and environment around them that others would not have. A rich man can not talk about living in poverty if he never lived that life or worked in those communities, would be a good example.

May 27, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  22. Celia

Newt Gingrich is one to talk. So is Rush Limbaugh. They are both wealthy white men and people I do not want running my country. I'd vote for a wise Latina woman any day of the week before I'd vote for either of those guys. These guys are exactly what we need to change from. They're just upset because Obama chose a Latina woman from "humble beginnings" and not anyone form the "good ole boy" network. I'm just a mere citizen, but I'll bet Sonia Sotomayor has a far better understanding of the citizenry of this country than they do.

May 27, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  23. Kate

Wow!!! The republicans are drawing at straws again. Her comment is based on her experience- which is different than a white man's!!! That is not racist, that is the truth!!! The republicans have no merit to judge anything- and if they ( the wealthy white men) feel like they are being knocked out of the way a bit, by minorities- take a head count of the senate, house, and supreme court. They need to get over themselves!!!

May 27, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  24. Florida , for equal rights

CNN,,,,,,,,please stop giving the likes of Newt,,,,and the drugster , the time of day ,,,,,,,,,noone really cares what they think,,,,and i for 1 am tired of hearing what they have to say,,, nothing,

May 27, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  25. Patriot

Monkey see, monkey do. Get rid of both of these scumbags. They're both truly "life unworthy of life."

May 27, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |