June 25th, 2009

Sanford visiting family in Sullivan's Island

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) – Mark Sanford left the state capital of Columbia this morning and traveled to Sullivan’s Island to visit with his family, the governor’s office said Thursday.

Sanford’s spokesman also said the governor is calling state legislators and other state officials by phone.

Sanford’s wife Jenny has been at the family’s beach house on Sullivan’s Island since last week along with the couple’s four children.

The South Carolina governor returned from Argentina on Wednesday and admitted to an extramarital affair at an emotional press conference in the state capitol. Jenny Sanford said yesterday she asked her husband to leave two weeks ago for “a trial separation.” After the press conference, Sanford said in a statement that “Mark has earned a chance to resurrect our marriage.”

Filed under: Mark Sanford
  1. viva

'k, we've had Ensign and now Sanford ..... and bad luck comes in triples ...... I vote for another fundamentalist pastor/gaysex/drugs scandal to round off the week.

June 25, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  2. Cynthia

There goes another HOLIER THAN THOU REPUBLICAN!!!!! HYPOCRITES!!!!!

June 25, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  3. Carl

Keep dropping the GOP flies. It makes room for a 2012 run for Ron Paul, that is unless the media destroys his image after being in Bruno, which comes out in a few weeks.

June 25, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  4. ThinkAboutIt

I feel so sorry for his wife and family – humiliation is bad enough, but to have to deal with this publically is horrible. Sanford really is a jerk – he continues the affair for 7 months after his wife finds out and then subjects her and their children to this mess.

Resign already, dude!

June 25, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  5. Steve (the real one)

Sharon June 25th, 2009 12:12 pm ET
    Is it just my imagination or does it seem that the morally superior Republicans have an extremely difficult time with faithful behavior in the marriages they so revere that they do not want to include all in that institution
    -------------------------–
    Sharon, I am conservative and believe marriage is one man, one woman, ONLY. Does what Sanford did change that? No! Is he wrong, even hypocritical? Yes! I am disappointed in him? Yes! Do I change my core beliefs becuase of Sanford's actions? No! I am sure there are folks in the democratic that you are ashamed of as well! P.S. I have been married almost 30 years! Still and will always be faithful! So your blanket statement DOES NOT apply here!

June 25, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  6. EM

The real issue is this man cheated on his wife, not just physically but emotionally as well. Now she is claiming that she can work with him after this? Seriously? So i'm wondering, WHERE IS THE SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE NOW? Yet it is against the law for me to get married?

June 25, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  7. Lisa

Maybe his boys will be able to give him his father's day gift.

June 25, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  8. Judi

Now one can understand why SC was the state that started the 'war of northern aggression' – we have elected idiots consistently. We have 'Mr Morality' as our governor, Lindsay thinks we need to mess with Iranian internal politics (it worked so well for us in Iraq), we have the thrid highest unemployment rate in the nation, next to the bottom in education and these clowns don't want to accept stimulus money so we can be the only state on the I-95 corridor that is only 2 lanes in each direction. Oh, BTW, did I mention we host the country's largest nuclear waste facility?

j

June 25, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  9. Peter E

Would the media please report on relevant stories? Nobody cares about a politician's personal life. It's between him and his family only! Don't you have more important news to report?

June 25, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  10. Limbaugh is a liberal

He had an affair he tried to keep secret, and was caught lying to even his own staff. Gee... didn't republicans crucify a previous leader who lied about an affair? Aren't liars the biggest villains in the world anymore?

June 25, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  11. Courtney

Praise to Jenny Sanford for her eloquent and graceful press release. I have no idea what I would do in this situation, but hope I would carry myself in the same manner. The real victims here is the woman who had stood behind him and those precious children. As a side note, the fact that when Sanford was listing those he hurt and he mentioned his girlfriend first, I could have thrown up.

June 25, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  12. carlos

second chance Mrs. Sanford?....after you read all the emails.....I think you will change your mind....

June 25, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  13. Jo

This is the real face of GOP...hypocrit. They say they are conserve: they ran the biggest budget deficit, they say they are for the middle class but don't want the middle class to have health care. They want free market, but the don't want Government to compete with the private market, and on and on. Even if Obama messses up, I will never vote for GOP, because who they are

June 25, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  14. Jim

I'm a democrat who doesn't particularly care for Mark Sanford and the GOP. But, what happened here is a tragedy for him and his family. This is the kind of stuff that scars kids for life. I'm not going to stand around smirking while yet another family implodes due to an affair. I don't think Sanford should resign – we all make mistakes, even huge ones like this. The best thing the governor should do at this point is to get back to work. Do the job you were elected to, and do it well. Perhaps you'll be able to restore your reputation and your family's faith in you. My prayers are with the Sanford family.

June 25, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  15. Ryan

LacrosseMom – Clinton lied under oath, that's why the GOP was up in arms. Sanford so far has been open and honest. Don't take this the wrong way – it was a horrible thing to do and he deserves all the heat for it. BUT he did not lie under oath as Clinton did. I'm curious what your reaction was after the Clinton, Spitzer and Edwards...........Lets take a step back and look at ALL of these affairs in a non-political way for once...Many politicians cheat...left, right and otherwise.

June 25, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  16. bella

I hope his wife can be authentic, be her own person, and speak her own truth!! And I hope she met him at the front door with the biggest iron skillet she could find!!! Give him a few licks, and tell him to get the heck out of there and NEVER come back!!!

June 25, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  17. Jefferson Handcock

Lying to God seems to weigh more than lying to congress!

June 25, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  18. News we can't use, but CHANCE in AMERICA

WHO CARES. THE RNC IS A JOKE. Where Newt or Steele, or Baukman and Rush. THeir all jokes

June 25, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  19. Sandra, Atlanta

I won't even comment on what he has done to his family nor how I am sure he's earned a second chance since he spent the time with his mistress.
    However, what impeachment is about is his absolute deriliction of duty to the people of South Carolina. Did he not leave the state with no one knowing where he was or how to get in touch with him with no authority moved to someone else (i.e. Lt Governor) to make decisions in his absence. That is what the impeachment issue is. Let his wife take care of the other.

June 25, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  20. Let me educate you

First of all of you are wrong. Clinton was impeached for perjury in a deposition for the Paula Jones civil trial and for obstruction of justice in that case. He was NOT impeached for lying to congress.

Perjury is defined as lying in a material fashion in a court case. The judge in the case ruled the question to be immaterial and the case was eventually thrown out. So Clinton's statement was an answer to an immaterial question in a case which was eventually tossed out of court.

As for Sanford. He should not be impeached for what he did. (This in fact would make Democrats hypocrits). However, for the sake of South Carolina, he should resign. He has lost all political capital. The press corps can no longer trust what he says or what his staff says.

Personally, I am enjoying watching him burn and I hope he has to file for unemployment checks. Then he can realize that the extra $25 per week the stimulus checks do not encourage you to stay on unemployment, but may help him buy groceries while he continues to seek work.

June 25, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  21. Carolyn Folsom

Lots of people making comments who don't know any facts at all...

June 25, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  22. shortybatmite

I think he should resign, not because he had an affair but because no one knew where he was for 5 days. What if there was some type of state emergency at the time. Also the only reason he admitted what he did was because he got caught. I f he felt he did something wrong he could have broke up with the women over the phone or email, not travel to Agentina, for one more HIT and then come back home.

June 25, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  23. David

Hahahaha...nows he's going home to his family. Its sad when public embarrassment forces you to do the right thing. Had this all not come to light , he would still be in Argentina- and all during a 2 week trial separation????? And as a result of failing that trial, he's earned the chance to come back?" Pathetic.

June 25, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  24. bill

I am proud of Mark Sanford. As a hard headed right wing neo-conservative– no, a neo-libertarian I thought he was devoid of any sex drive. Thank goodness I never voted for him

June 25, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |