July 14th, 2009

McDonnell holds the edge in Virginia gov fundraising race

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/04/13/art.bobmcdonnell.com.jpg caption="Republican gubernatorial candidate Bob McDonnell has more money in the bank than his Democratic contender Creigh Deeds."](CNN) - In the closely contested battle for Virginia governor, campaign cash could be a crucial factor - and as of right now, the Republican gubernatorial candidate has more money in the bank than his Democratic rival.

Republican Bob McDonnell's campaign announced Tuesday that they have nearly $5 million cash on hand, and that they raked in over $1.8 million in the period ending June 30.

On Monday, Democratic candidate Creigh Deeds announced that his campaign has $2.7 million in the bank, with $3.4 million raised during the same period.

Deeds, a Virginia state senator, came from behind to top Terry McAuliffe and Brian Moran in the June 9 Democratic primary. McDonnell, the former Virginia state attorney general, did not face a primary opponent. Gov. Tim Kaine, a Democrat, is term-limited and can't run for re-election this year.

The McDonnell campaign says that they received contributions from 3,452 donors. That's nearly 1,000 more than the approximately 2,500 donors announced by the Deeds campaign.

"Our campaign enters the final four months of the race in a strong financial position to carry our positive message of new jobs and more opportunities to every region of the state," says McDonnell for Governor Campaign Manager Phil Cox.

On Thursday, Vice President Joe Biden headlines a fundraiser for Deeds in Richmond, Virginia.

Filed under: Bob McDonnell • Creigh Deeds • Virginia
  1. republicans hate america

its ok as long as the democrat gets more votes thats all that counts

July 14, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

We need the President here to sure up support for Deeds. McDonnell has the upper hnad in this election. Deeds needs all the help he can get.

July 14, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  3. Leslie

Kick Democrats out of office!!! I can't believe I am saying this, when I am a democrat. But even me, a lifelong democrat can't stand anymore corruption and abuses committed by my own party.

July 14, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  4. Georgian

Nice try Leslie.

July 14, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  5. Todd (not the Alaska Separatist)

Patriotic Democrats need to work harder to keep Team Hate America out of this office. Is George Allen stumping for Bob McDonnell?

July 14, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  6. Sheryl

Leslie I really don't think you are a Democrat maybe a plant!!! And if I am wrong please feel free to go to the other side, we don't need you...This president has been in office six months, it took a long time to get us into this mess and it will take a long time to get out of it!!!!!

July 14, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  7. John Sivills

One also has to consider Creeds is coming off of a primary battle, so he will have less cash on hand. McDonnell had no opposition. Creeds raised money at a faster clip however, which is worthy of note during the same reporting period.

July 14, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  8. Rita

No she is not qualified and she has quit every job she has held! The GOP made their greatest mistake ever by choosing her for a running mate. Hence McCain lost the election! She speaks of Alaska as her country, she is not from the United States. Aside from the oil business she has no credibility to run any office let alone the the top office in the country. She is a spiteful, beauty contestant, money grabbing,empty headed soccer mom!

July 14, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  9. Janna, IN

So what, he's still not going to win.

As for Palin taking on Obama on Energy. This quitter should take a break from politics. She said infamously during the campaign, that she had "nothing to lose". Palin loves to be in that position. So now she can be a female Rush Limbaugh, all mouth and ZERO responsibilty to anyone.

I hope President Obama ingnores her, because she is a nobody.

July 14, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  10. anne

I was a Democrat until recently as well. Now the party stands for nothing but spend, spend, spend, spend.

July 14, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  11. Kristen

Why is she still talking?

July 14, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  12. Saneetha

sara palin is an idiot of the highest order!!!!!

July 14, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  13. not republican, not democrat, just american

What did Deeds do with the money he said he raised. 3.4 million and he only has 2.7 million in the bank right now. Ugh! We must get past this right and left syndrome. Has anybody given it any thought that someone is probably trying to divide and conquer. Check it out what it means if you don't know.

July 14, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  14. This will be my 2nd time voting in VA

And I'm voting for the other guy the Democrat.

July 14, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  15. Justin, CA

The GOPers are not fighting against Sonia Sotomayor, but Barack Obama. They think they are slick. This nominee is going to sail through, but not until they get down off their soapbox to tell Americans why white men are so special.

The real fight will be with the next nominee, and we will be ready.

July 14, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  16. Butch/Good News, MA

Hey Dutch...Is there anything that you don't need Obama for?

I liked your comment earlier today that if you weren't so busy with work, maybe you'd go back to school. Maybe if you weren't so busy blogging on CNN all day, everyday, you may actually have time to go back to school. That way, you could find a more challenging "job" that wouldn't allow you the free time to blog all day.

July 14, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  17. johnnie

so what, he can raise the titanic and it still wont give him that seat,.....Mcdonnel better come to his senses,that 2010 is a ways off and by the time the elections rolls around , the (gop)... (Sara Palin) will have destroyed the (doomed party of morons). keep dreaming . (bob) president obama won virginia ,and we dont have to worry about these (bogus)... headlines about the (gop) money chest... they mean (nothing). i cant wait . when the president takes virginia by storm ,and knocks out the (gop) for good. Get Real (cnn) that is another clown ... (headline)....... Virginia is (Democrat Country)... get use to it (Mcdonnell)....

July 14, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  18. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

@ Butch/Good News, MA

Actually my job pays quite well. Thanks for your concern about my higher education though. As for needing Obama, Mr. Deeds definitely needs him. I was supporting Moran because McDonnell has never went up against him. He has gone up against Deeds and won. That's why Mr. Deeds needs the President's support.

July 14, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  19. From One White Male

Once again, out of 110 supreme court justices, FOUR have been non-white males.

So my question to America is why hasn't race and gender been at the forefront for all those WHITE MALES, 104? No one questioned their race and gender. The minute a minority or female is selected there is so much talk about race or gender or both. Baloney. We will drag these old farts into the future, if it kills us.

July 14, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  20. Leslie

Todd (not the Alaska Separatist) July 14th, 2009 12:28 pm ET

====
    Politicians come and go, but my country stays with me until I die. Yes Todd, I am a Democrat and now campaigning against my party. The Democratic Party do not represent me anymore. I'm still a registered Democrat but I won't be voting for democratic candidates from here on out. There is something MORE important to me than my party and that is MY COUNTRY.

July 14, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  21. Voter from VA

I love the picture of McDonnell, his supporters say it all...Fail

July 14, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  22. Joe

Oh Sarah, you lost your credibility (if you ever had any) with your recent quit-fest. You left politics, thank God, and now it's time for you to keep your trap shut. Are you still seeing Russia from your house?

July 14, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  23. Sniffit

Dollars =/= Votes.

About all you can say is that the fundraising figures are an indicatoin of how angry the GOP's base is. You can't provide a breakdown of how much money each candidate has received from IN-STATE RESIDENTS who will be able to vote in this election, can you CNN? No? Then it's meaningless. Just like that dope in yesterday's article, this GOPer is probably getting money from all over the country from rich GOPers who are angry about the possibility of the gov't finally holding them accountable for their hording of the nation's wealth at the expense of everyone else.

July 14, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  24. TangledThorns

Even though McDonnell has a ton of money over Deeds I'll still donate to him today. I'll do my part to kick the Leftists out of Virginia.

July 14, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  25. Lisa, Saugus MA

You are all coming down on Leslie yet I too am a democrat not a plant and even though I was for Hillary I voted for Obama.

I wish I stayed home. I didn't think he would ram everything down American proverbial throat within 6 months. He should have focused on the crisis that was there on election day...the economy.

He has had so many things hit the fan that we can't keep up the pace. Our children heck even our children's children will have deficit spending for years to come. I almost shrieked when I saw today that we had passed the 1 TRILLION dollar mark. Bush was bad but President Obama has spent so much with virtually nothing to show for it.

I don't quite like the taste of my kool-aid anymore and don't have to be a republican plant to say so. So you can call Leslie a plant but there are many dems like me who are conservative in many areas just like there are moderate republicans. Neither group is popular but tend to be more truthful when expressing ourselves.

July 14, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |