July 17th, 2009

DSCC links Palin to GOP Senate hopefuls

A new web video links Sarah Palin to Charlie Crist and Kelly Ayotte.

A new web video links Sarah Palin to Charlie Crist and Kelly Ayotte.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Senate Democrats are using Sarah Palin's decision to leave office later this month in a new Web video linking the Alaska governor to two GOP candidates in key battleground states.

The new spot from the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee features an oath of office repeated by voices intended to represent Palin, Florida Gov. Charlie Crist and New Hampshire Attorney General Kelly Ayotte, and flashes images of hands with their fingers crossed behind their backs.

Crist and Ayotte have both announced their intention to run for the Senate next year; Ayotte has decided to resign early in advance of her run. Palin has not said whether she may be weighing a run for another elected office.

The first attempt to use Palin's pending resignation to slam Republican candidates began earlier this month, just days after she her decision.

(updated with GOP reaction after the jump)

At the time, a top Democratic operative speaking on the condition of anonymity told CNN's Mark Preston that going forward, Democrats "won't be shy in tying Sarah Palin to other Republican candidates where it makes sense."

Ayotte was the first target. "We're seeing a national trend where Republicans have abandoned their responsibilities to their constituents in favor of political gain," New Hampshire Democratic Party Chairman Ray Buckley wrote in a fundraising message sent to the state party's e-mail list in early July.

"From Alaska to New Hampshire, Republicans just can't seem to honor their commitment to the public. Not unlike Sarah Palin, Kelly Ayotte has broken her promise to the people she represents and put politics before public service."

UPDATE: Republicans responded Friday by linking Palin to another familiar Democratic target. “First it was President Bush, now it’s Governor Palin - when will the Democrats stop trying to turn Republican candidates into other people and finally focus on the critical issues facing America, like bipartisan health care reform and skyrocketing unemployment? " National Republican Senatorial Committee spokeswoman Amber Wilkerson said in a statement Friday afternoon. "Obviously the Democrats are nervous about Charlie Crist and Kelly Ayotte’s candidacies, considering they’re spending this much time lobbing these pathetic attacks instead of figuring out how to turn our nation’s economy around.”

Filed under: Charlie Crist • DSCC • Sarah Palin
  1. Jack in Florida

Charlie.....don't blow this run for Senate by getting Saracuda to come and stump for you......................YOU don't need her. She needs to go fishing or moose hunting and stay away from the lower 48.

July 17, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  2. Matt in MN

Silly Dems, what about Biden, Obama and/or Clinton?

But... I guess it's ok for them to leave their elected positions early.

July 17, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  3. Steve

When are the Dems going to get over their obsession with Palin? I mean, sure, she's a babe, but this borders on stalking.

July 17, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  4. Minnesotan

I don't necessarily believe that the GOP is now somehow no longer thinking about the public, but it does seem to be a strong sign that these folks have been thinking more about themselves than the office they were elected to run. Call it overly ambitious if you want to be nice, but there needs to be fallout for this kind of behavior. Elected office should not be like some sports where the highest bidder gets the best players. If the Dem's do it they need to be held to the same standard. But it is kind of funny that its only the GOP with the big headed ambitions they have when they've just been trounced in the past 2 elections for not being able to do their jobs. Now they want to raise the ante. Sometimes I wonder what sort of a gene makes the GOP do some of the dumb things they do. I wouldn't care except that they run around as some sort of higher moral police screaming at anything they can make enough noise about so that people won't pay attention to their failings. We're all human. It happens. But please stop acting like your some sort of special human and lambast the Dem's for anything and everything you can possibly make the media pay attention to.

July 17, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  5. Deep Throat

What about Hillary Clinton's "responsibility to her constituents" when
    she bailed out to join Obama's administration? Then there's Janet
    Napolitano pulling out of Arizona for Obama...and then replaced by
    a Republican Lt. governor! Is Buckley on Kool-Aid?

July 17, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  6. Arochotech

Palin is the gift that keeps on giving, go republican't

July 17, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  7. not a Jackson or a Palin fan

Palin is so full of herself that she thinks she would actually be running this country if she became president. Not so. She would be a puppet, a figure-head like George W. Bush. Her handlers will allow her to travel around the country giving her little speeches but she will not be the real power.

July 17, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  8. John H.

Good for Democrats. The Republicans will call foul, knowing this series of ads pales compared to some of the divisive and hateful ads I've seen Republicans come up with.

July 17, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  9. Bingo

Senator Clinton - resigned after two years in her second term
    Senator Obama - resigned after four years in his first term
    Senator Biden - resigned 14 days into his term
    Governor Napolitano - resigned two years into her second term
    Governor Sebelius - resigned two years into her second term
    Congressman Rahm Emanuel - resigned before taking office after being elected to his fourth term
    Senator Salazar - resigned after four years in his first term

Did all of these Democrats abandon their responsibilities to their constituents, too?

July 17, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  10. Susan

Why can't we forget party politics and just think about what's best for the United States?

I'm soooooo tired of all the cat fighting and back biting that I'm beginning to think that anybody tied to a 'formal' political party is too busy game playing to think of what's best for the country. We've sunk to extreme lows when it comes to personal morals and ethics in this country.

July 17, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  11. Michael Carr

This will backfire. It draws attention to the fact that neither Obama or Hillary were never serious about being a Senators.

July 17, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  12. GI Joe

Palin/Limbaugh 2012 to 2014-1/2

July 17, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  13. single mom

Mmm, to be or not to be...
    Seems to be a bit of a conundrum, doesn't it?
    Is it better to remain in the position while running for another, higher, post and not really do the job the way it should be done? Or resign, let someone else take the job full-time and then run for the higher post?
    I know it happens all the time. This time last year, I'm surprised the Senate had enough members in chambers to vote on anything because it seemed like half of them were running for President!
    I know voters elect people for a full term, but wouldn't it be better to have someone in position actually DOING the job? At least Ayotte was honest about it and resigned so someone else could be the full-time AG the people of New Hampshire deserved.
    Palin? No idea, but I know I would have been livid if reporters went after my family the way the media went after her kids.

July 17, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  14. Gator

Same thing the bumbler did, why don't we here more about his abandonment of duty to run for president. I guess it's alright as long as your the messiah and float above everyone else. Hypocrites

July 17, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  15. lou

What about Specter? Quitting your party to join another because you know you won't get elected in your own, is just as bad.

July 17, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  16. Pepou

Palin ? Again ? Isn't she fishing off shore in Alaska ?

July 17, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  17. Son of G-dubb

So Sarah Palin is going into the sniper bussiness while getting paid at the same time.

July 17, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  18. Anonymous

So, instead of resigning from office to run for a different public position, it's better to keep your current positon and campaign for 18 months, all the while not serving the people and collecting a paycheck? It must be wrong to do the RIGHT thing?

July 17, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  19. POSTIT

Hillary Clinton resigning to become secretary of state after failing to win the presidency: good. Obama running for president after being in the senate a few short months: good. Biden running for president and then accepting vp: good. Arlen Specter switching parties and abandoning those who elected him: good. (all abandonment based purely on political gain).

Palin resigning and making no announcement of intentions to run: bad...

Ok I totally get it now...

July 17, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  20. Too True For You

An accurate illustration of the typical "Me! Me! Me!" attitude of greedy to-hell-with-everyone-else republicanism.

July 17, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  21. abatoy

What about the junior senator from Illinois (you know, the guy in the White House now)? I guess he did not "abandon his committment" and put politics before public service? Guess he does not count.

July 17, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  22. Matt

Pot. Kettle. Black...Again.

July 17, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  23. Ross Ferguson

Sarah Palin goes to Washington

Hi, I'm Sarah Palin. Just wanted to take a minute, because that's all the time I have nowadays, don't ya know while fielding endorsement offers and book deals. I have all these elitist's offering me millions of dollars, and I don't know what to do, it just make my head spin.
    \
    Anyway, if you don't remember me, I'm the woman who wanted to be the vice president and ran along beside John McCain in the great (race) of '08. We ran on a promise to fight for the people and understood the hard economic times everyone was facing and planned to change not only the way politics are run, but also the environment with new renewable energy. You have to remember, I sat on a board and became a whistle blower in the great energy producing state of Alaska, before becoming governor for 2 years.

Well, now I'm tired of being poor, so I've got all these great offers that will allow me and my entire family to be financially secure for the rest of our lives, especially my teenage daughter, who just had a baby and doesn’t have a job. But, that’s typical of most American high school dropouts, right?

Todd and I understand the value of hard work and we do realize everything that it takes to be successful. While playing governor of Alaska, I had a lot of people scrutinizing me for things I just didn’t do. As a result of these accusations, the people of Alaska have had to pay out over a million dollars in legal fees, even though the people who were paid for the unnecessary proceedings are state employees and would have been paid the same amount during that same time for their salaries. But, seriously, that’s just a small detail.

Like I said during my press conference, when I announced my resignation, I am a dribbler driving toward the goal with my head up. What I didn’t tell you is that the goal of which I speak is my bank account, and the shots I’m taking are anything and everything being thrown my way.

I’ve got a reputation as a maverick, and with that comes a responsibility to do things never done before, including a book offer. Now, I know I couldn’t name a single newspaper or magazine published in the United States when Katie Couric tricked me in that CBS interview, but I am seriously ready to write a book. They give you so much money to write books, I know because my friends Mike Huckabee, and Newt Gingrich told me. If you can’t trust those two, who can you trust?

My only hope is that the rest of my fellow republicans, will join the ranks and understand the leaders of our party and their concerns with environment. Just the other day, a prominent republican leader said, why should we engage in environmental protection when Russia, China and Saudi Arabia, aren’t willing to participate.

No truer words have ever been spoken.

–XOXO Sarah Palin

Soon to be former Governor of Alaska 😉

July 17, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  24. yuri

We should arrange a diplomatic canard between Palin and Putin, and then make her compete with Medvedev for his job.

July 17, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  25. TangledThorns

The Dems are pathetically scared of Sarah Palin. Seriously, why are they afraid of a leader that can lower the deficit, revive the economy, and restore our standing to the world?

July 17, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |