August 10th, 2009

White House launches health care 'reality check' Web site

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/08/10/art.whhcreality0810.wh.jpg caption="The White House launched a new Web page Monday."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) – The White House is stepping up its efforts to promote health care reform with the launch of a new Web initiative that officials say is designed to combat misinformation about the issue.

Citing what it calls "a troubling trend" of "wild rumors and scare tactics," the White House Monday announced the launch of http://www.whitehouse.gov/realitycheck/, a new Web page which "focuses on what reform really means for you and your family" and "debunks some common myths along the way," White House New Media Director Macon Phillips wrote on the official White House blog.

In keeping with President Obama's use of social networking sites to engage and utilize his network of supporters during his presidential campaign, the new page also provides users with a number of ways to notify their own networks of contacts about the page and its content.

The Web page features half a dozen videos from Obama aides who discuss various aspects of health care reform and it also has a set of "faq's" or frequently asked questions about health care reform.

"Moving forward, we'll use this platform to provide you with the latest 'Reality Checks' and tools to combat misinformation," Phillips writes in the blog post announcing the new Web page.

The launch of the new administration Web page comes two days after Obama used his weekly Internet and radio address to address recent attacks on Democratic efforts to pass health care reform legislation. In the address, Obama responded to "outlandish rumors that reform will promote euthanasia, cut Medicaid, or bring about a government takeover of health care."

Obama's comments came one day after former Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin posted a message on Facebook that suggested Obama's agenda for health care reform, if passed, would deny care to her parents and to her youngest child, Trig, who was born with Down's Syndrome.

The White House's aggressive move to defend health care reform also comes after a week where town halls meetings with congressmen across the country have been attended and disrupted by citizens concerned about the possible adverse effects of health care reform.

1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

A fact based site is definitely a good thing now that these right wingers are all stuck on stupid.

August 10, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  2. Sam Sixpack

Read the website for yourself. These elitists think you are real, real stupid.

August 10, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  3. Rush Goebbels

Rush is ready to blow the big fuse.Keep up the great work people, we will stomp him like the roach he is.He is crying now about being called that which he is,"The voice of the Corporate Fascists".hahaha

August 10, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  4. Birch Barlow

It should be the press's job to cut through the crap from both sides. But they continue to do a poor job of that. They're entertainment and $$$-driven now. And America suffers for that.

Frankly, I don't trust either side to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Given their past, I think you'd have to be crazy to trust these Democrat and Republican partisans.

August 10, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  5. nurse

Why do I have to pay for illeagals health care ?????

Sec152 pg50-51

August 10, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  6. Dave

and there we go with people saying the post office is somehow bad.

you can send a letter across the country in a day or two – what's the problem? It's government run.. it's inexpensive.. and it's efficient. stop the fear.

August 10, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  7. Sam Sixpack

What does anybody think factcheck.org tells the truth?

August 10, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  8. MomofFour

The CBO has debunked every fact on that website. The Obamacare plan will NOT lower costs for healthcare. It will not insure all Americans. It will INCREASE the deficit to UNSUSTAINABLE levels. When has the government ever run anything with efficiency? Never!!! Going to a White House/DNC/SEIU/ACORN website for "facts" is a bit much....

The progressives are trying to take 1/6 of the economy and this is socialism. Americans do not want a socialist country.

August 10, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  9. alvino

What happened to my America? a right wing nut asked.

Your America disappeared at the end of the Civil War in 1865.

August 10, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  10. Reggie from LA

I think that "Some Republican Guy's" comment embodies what many believe to be the "facts" about why we need an alternative option to the current healthcare system. For starters, not everybody who needs a lesser or no-cost option IS a "welfare queen". Let's try someone who lost their job that provided healthcare because of the irresponsible management of the taxpayers' dollars during the last administration. It is that regime that has increased the "welfare state" AND unemployment which has directly affected access to overpriced health care. Typical.

August 10, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  11. ANGIE IN PA

The Insurance companys and Lobbist must be so proud of the way the Republicans are fighting for them and Protecting them! jeez wish the Republicans could do that for us fight for us, protect us from the Frauding Pratices of the Insurance compaines oh wait we dont have Millions of dollars to throw at them oh well!

August 10, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  12. Fool me once shame on u, fool me twice, err...

People crack me up when they complain that the government can't run anything well. They forget the government runs better than 80% of the services they use. I think most people agree we have the best military machine in the world – last I checked it was run by the government! The US Post Office is frequently given as an example of poorly run government ventures. I have paid hundreds of bills through USPS, and so far they're batting a clean 1000.

I was watching Sen Claire McSkill's townhall meeting this morning live on CNN. I have to say this lady is the best voice for the Democrats after President Obama, hands down. She should be featured for the health care reform drive as often as possible. I'd love to see her in the WH 8 years from now!

August 10, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  13. anti liberal

i'm FINE with providing healthcare to all LEGAL Americans that can't afford it.

That's not 50 million.

its more like 10 million.

Oh and the cost won't be nearly as much as it would to cover all the illegals (ie OBama's meal ticket in 2012) and those that are too cheap to get it or now realize the government will pay for them when they don't get it or are fraudulently stealing from the system.

Those that need it SHOULD get it, but those that are defrauding the system should get jail time and I would think the Democrats would be against their type of fraud.

August 10, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  14. AndrewCPA

Wow some of the comments here are funny. I have read a version of the bill... not sure which version, but I was not to happy with it. I did call my rep and both sen... they have not responded to me or even have a staff person give me a call/email about this. From what I can read this is not too much on reform, but more of ideas that we will reform after certain things.

If this is going to happen, I would rather they start over and make it real reform.

Yes I am a repub, grew up in military healthcare in the 70s/80s.. was good, but not always great. I have friends that are Dems... some even some what far left and they all do not like this plan too.

August 10, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  15. james

Health care is dead for now.Considering most americans are happy with yhere existing healt care lets drop it for a wlile and concentrate on the real crisis "'JOBS"'

August 10, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  16. Typical Republican

This web site sucks! It answers all my questions, honestly and to the point. It's so not fair to go and tell the truth when us republicans are trying to misinform the world in an attempt to cause more people to die from denial of health care.

Killing people for profit: It's the american way. We don't want government health care because then life would be protected, rather then sacrificed for a better quarterly earnings release.

August 10, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  17. T'SAH from Virginia

The WHITE HOUSE forgets – in REALITY, the ones who SHOULD go to the site and CHECK what HEALTH CARE REFORM is all about are our POOR SENIORS and half of them do not use computers and in addition, ALL of them are being FRIGHTEN TO DEATH by the RIOT INCITERS – the PARTY OF NO suggestions and NO solutions!!!

August 10, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  18. John in WV

It's a sad time in this country when you can be in prison or on welfare and have better access to health care than if you worked all your life. I worked in public service for 32 years, paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in federal taxes, medicare, and social security so others could have a better quality of life. Now that I'm disabled, I have lost my health care and only want a plan I'm willing to pay for that does not bankrupt me. Is this socialism? Through comments I have read on this blog, I have learned that because I support health care reform, I am ignorant, uneducated, lazy and only want a handout. In response to those who feel this way about people like me I can only say; Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do.

August 10, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  19. Sam Sixpack

All this bill means is that the current bunch of fat,greedy rich people who leach off you are going to be replaced by a new bunch of fat, greedy, rich people who will leach off you.

BTW, read the website for yourself - these elitists think you are an idiot.

August 10, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  20. Jackie

Republicans pls check before you say another word on healthcare!!!!!!!!!

August 10, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  21. ASTROTURF THIS

This is a bunch of garbage. Like I'm going to believe what the White House says. These are not facts. Whenever the Democrats accuse the Republicans of something...it is the Democrats who are really doing it!!!

This is socialism. The government is silencing the majority of people who are against a government takeover of healthcare. That's what this is. The SEIU thugs are out beating up people at town halls and the Democrats are calling the citizens mobs??? Is this the Soviet Union?? This is outrageous!!! Nancy Pelosi needs to be impeached and we need government to stop this nonsense and do their job. This is about money and power. It's as if organized crime has taken over government. It's pathetic.

August 10, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  22. RJ- GA.

This debate has truly been destroyed by the MONEY Changers(Insurance Companies) ! Every American is one pay check or one illness close to bankruptcy ! I can not understand why the data of health care does not convince Americans the need for change. How is it we spend the most for health care, yet we rank near the bottom of industrialized nations on life expectancy. What does tort reform have to do with every insurance company denying claims the first three times ! Please, don't let a good idea for a public option to drive competition be destroyed in the debate over how to pay for it. Take the billions in tax credits to the oil companies to pay for it ! Stop all foreign aid, until we balance the budget ! Give us real cost controls by telling the pharmaceutical companies, you can not sell medicine outside of the US, cheaper than, what you sell to Americans ! Put America first !!!

August 10, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  23. NH Independent

It took Obama 6 months to choose a dog for his kids but he wants to shove the trillion dollar healthcare reform down our throats that nobody in the house or senate has read....and they want us to trust the whitehouse web site?...........priceless

August 10, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  24. nurse

You think wire tapping was bad !!!!!!!!! Read sec 1401 pgs 502-518 on your records and private life info and sharing to all gov agencies and public access of that info.

August 10, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |