September 17th, 2009
  1. maria

Everything is not either/or. Some criticism may be based entirely on policy dissatisfaction, some may be entirely based on race, and other criticism may have elements of both (and other factors).

Based on what I have seen, I would argue that for some there is a racial element. I would also argue that there is partisan selective perception. You only notice something that you don't like when the 'other' party does it and then somehow it's worse.

September 17, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  2. Enough

Yup – they got it right saying the continual playing of the race card is turning people off.............keep it up!

September 17, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  3. Mississippi Miss

RACIST : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

BIGOT: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Racist=Adolph Hitler, Bigot=Jeremiah Wright,
    Rude but Passionate Patriot= Joe Wilson

Look in the mirror, find your own prejudices, work on them...
    "IMPROVEMENT starts with I"

September 17, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  4. phoenix86

No one is as racist as the far left fringe, except Jimmy Carter.

September 17, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  5. Lynne

If tea partiers want to shed the racism criticism, they need to shed their racists organizers and leaders. All one has to do is go on their web sites or listen to some of their radio and tv "personalities" to realize that racism is a part of their angst!!

September 17, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  6. Pepou

When you see the outrageous signs depicting President Obama as a witch doctor or others claiming "bury Obamacare with Kennedy" at these rallies there is no doubt in my mind that the worst kind of racism is at play in this country, encouraged by the GOP.

September 17, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  7. arapikos

Welcome to the Neo-America. Finally, we all have the right to voice our opinions or position on any and all issues. Thanks to our great and progressive President, we have risen to the next level of "freedom of speech". Thank you!! Mr. President Obama

September 17, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  8. Lilarose

It IS RACISM!

I talk with people and know people and correspond with people who hate our president because of his race.

We don't see much of it here in the Pacific Northwest or even the West, but it is rampant in the South and also among mid-Westerners, who are not as vocal about it but racist just the same.

September 17, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  9. worriedmom

Mr. Carter does not speak for me and a lot of Southerners. This type of race talk and play that Mr. Carter and LIberal Democrats are putting out there is dividing the country . I hear from many of my friends that this sort of talk makes you racist because you are having to defend yourself. Why is it so hard for people to understand that it is policies that are being objected to and that these policies are not just the making of an Afro American man but of many people of all races and gender. keep playing this card and people will be afraid to elect anyone else of race, gender or nationality of the fear of being labeled when they don't agree. I didn't hear racism called when people objected, name called Bush, the white man! Please people get over it and start thinkng intelligent and look at policies that affect our country!

September 17, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  10. David

This is so ridiculous. The dem party has wanted to use the r word at any attempt to disagree. The two party system is a scam everyone. People are slowly but surely starting to come into the light about this.

September 17, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  11. Mic

My wife and I attend these protest. My wife is Afro American ,and we have been married for 10 years. How does that makes us racist? We are using are ist admendment rights. Like other americans, and you are wrong saying all these people are racist. My wife and I have been treated with respect when we attend these tea party rallies. I even went to one by myself ,and never heard any racist remarks. Have you ever thought just maybe these people who attend these rallies just don't like socialist.

September 17, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  12. Proactive

I understand the meaning of freedom of speech in the big democracy, however, some people folks have gone beyond the boundary.
    They have said things that have nothing to do with the health care reform

September 17, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  13. Carl from MI

It's racism... I don't need a weatherman to tell me which way the wind is blowing. It's all about FEAR with the Republicans and fear of a black man who's running our country is thier first priority to spread to their base and anyone who will listen.

It's sad and it's shameful... racism is alive and well in the USA!!!!

September 17, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  14. Pam

If posters depicting President Obama as a witch doctor aren't racist, what are they?

September 17, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  15. John

A little of both -maybe your poll should ask does race affect your overall opinion.

September 17, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  16. Soren

Just listen to them – and look at them – and you have the answer.
    Wilson, Beck, Limbaugh, etc.
    Sweaty, overweight, scared, corny, brainwashed, panicky, etc.
    At least Steele and Palin look good.
    God help the GOP.

September 17, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  17. Scott, Tucson

Leave it up the democrats to make this an racist issue, seems I recalled that it was not only the blacks voting for Obama but Whites too. If Hillary was in the White House now and she were trying to implement the same plan as Obama is trying to shove down our throats, the protests on this issue would be the same.

I guess the leftist along with the likes of Keith Oberman have extremely short memories, when for the past eight years they were calling Bush every name in the book right up to the day Bush departed the White House. The problem here is that more and more people are waking up to the fact that Obama is indeed at least a flaming socialist and his spending policies would harm the nation for years to come.

September 17, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  18. Mark H.

The democrats are clearly flailing just like their failed president.

When any opposition to anything this clown does is labeled racism, it is a clear sign of desperation.

I will never understand why African-Americans consistently run to the democrat party as they continue to oppress them in return.

September 17, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  19. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

Is it politically incorrect to say that I grew up without Negroes (as they were called then), that I like it that way, that a significant majority of my experiences with their subculture since then have been negative, and that race is one but not the only factor in my principles criticism of Obama? Can “racism” have a “rational” basis, that is, can it be based on shared personal, empirical or anecdotal evidence that Blacks (as they are called now) are disproportionately associated with crime, ignorance and culturally inappropriate conduct? I think so.

September 17, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  20. justin

Generic reporting. Steele is a liar and manipulator. No African Americans support him. White America props him up with a stick and makes him adhere to party lines.

September 17, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  21. When-painted-into-a-corner..

Cannot take the heat of 'CRITICISM' whenever under attack Obama
    comes out with yet another of his SPEECHES, played indirect the race
    card on the Clintons' and many others who oppose him ....

Get on with it Obama along with the black community...there will be
    always bigots among us and yes racism ...but look what happend
    in some African countries hundred of thousands killed just because the were of a different TRIBE...Think Ruwanda...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 17, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  22. Sam's Nemesis

Won't jimmy carter just go away.......so now it's racism to disagree with someone from the party of the donkey..............hurry up jimmy, we need more peanuts............

September 17, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  23. BOBBY K. FROM BIRMINGHAM, AL.

I think part of the problem is racism and fear. True our President is half black and resembles more African traits then Caucasion traits but he is bi-racial. I for one feel that the real problem is the fact that people are scared of change. It's okay to start wars that cost Americans billions of tax paying dollors but to provide free or affordable healthcare is blasphemy according to some people.
    Calling Mr. Obama a socialist, marixts, communist, the joker, muslim, un-american etc... etc....... only creates more fear and hatred no matter what the positive outcomes of his reform.
    I for one hope that Americans can look past our Presidents skin color and try to work with him for the betternment of all American Citizens!
    YES WE CAN stop the hatred and stupidity from some people!

September 17, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  24. They call me "Tater Salad"

It's not the criticism itself thats racist! It's the fact that the criticism was inspired and fueled and continues to be motivated by racism thats the problem! There's a big difference people!

September 17, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  25. Carnell

This Is For The Idiot Journalists And Clueless Fools Out There Who Are To Busy Instigating The Facts And Buffering The Truth. Most Of The Criticisms Of The Obama Administration Isn't Racism, But It Hasn't Offered Any Good Alternatives To Their Plans. Instead, Conservatives Just Whyne And Complain About Everything These Days. All While Totally Unprofessional And Wreckless News Media Let Them Get Away With It.

September 17, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |