September 18th, 2009

McMahon says WWE antics not a liability to Senate run

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/09/18/art.mcmahon.gi.jpg caption="Linda McMahon told CNN Friday she doesn't expect her company's colorful antics will serve as a liability to her campaign."](CNN) - World Wrestling Entertainment CEO Linda McMahon, who earlier this week announced she is launching a Republican bid to challenge Sen. Chris Dodd in a Democratic primary, told CNN Friday she doesn't expect her company's colorful antics will serve as a liability to her campaign.

"[Voters] enjoy our product, but they also know that it's an entertainment product that's on television and the company that's behind that is a very strong company," McMahon told CNN's Kiran Chetry on American Morning. "It's traded on the News York stock exchange."

McMahon - who joins a crowded field of Republicans hoping to challenge Dodd - also said she can identify with the financial plight of many of the state's voters, since she and husband Vince McMahon once had to declare bankruptcy.

Full interview transcript on AM Fix blog

"We lost our house, we lost our credit cards. We couldn't even rent a car," she said. "So I know the angst of that. I know the embarrassment of that. I know what it's like to wonder, are you going to have a job, are you going to be able to make your mortgage?"

McMahon also said she is running to reform Washington's "reckless" spending.

"You know, I'm a businesswoman and I've been watching what's going on," she said "The mounting debt that we have, people out of work, reckless spending going on in Washington, and I couldn't sit on the sidelines and watch anymore. I really wanted to get in, to do something."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Keith in Austin

Anyone can beat the CROOK Chris Dodd next November!

September 18, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  2. danel

Question: If you are fiscal conservative how come you loss your house? File bankruptcy? Hmmn something's not add up.

September 18, 2009 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  3. Randolph Carter, a real American

I'd much rather see Doink, the evil clown run. He would use a folding chair to keep our congresscritters in line. Have a nice day!

September 18, 2009 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  4. Chris Kirkpatrick

All I want to know is, if she is elected, will she hit someone with a chair?

September 18, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  5. Jayden,FL

As a WWE fan I would like the see Linda elected senator... but I know somehow Dodd will pull of a Victory.

BTW- she's the former CEO of WWE

September 18, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  6. Truth-Bomb Thrower

I can't believe that I'm not enthusiastically in support of WHATEVER candidate is running agains that CORRUPT SCUMBAG Dodd..........but if this woman actually gets nominated, it's going to really test my Dodd hatred.

Whatever happened to the good ol' days when a person did not have to have millions of dollars, notoriety, and instant name recognition in order to be taken seriously as a candidate for public office (Franken, Shwarzenegger, Baldwin, ect.)? Most of these Show-Bizzers-Turned-Politicians are simply flexing their inquenchable egoes or they have peaked in their current business, they're on their way down, and they want to maintain their relevence and their economic status. And we wonder why this country is so corrupt and messed up.

September 18, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  7. gt

ah ya .......looks who is th senator form minnesota.....

September 18, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  8. victim of republican greed

Having to declare bankruptcy is not a good thing if you want to go to Washington to stop reckless spending.

September 18, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  9. Brent71

fake wrestling makes you qualified to be Senator or nothing....
    maybe a city council person.. but that's it. what a moron.

September 18, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  10. J-dizzle

"Mounting debt...blah blah blah." Where were you people when Bush was doing the same thing??? Making money because of the reckless investing many in this country were doing, that's where. Give me a break. I can smell what Linda McMahon is cooking and I don't like it Jabroni. I'm sure she'll slip some tax loophole for WWE into some legislation too.

September 18, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  11. Expat American

Many people say that the WWE is offensive, violent and the like. Partisan politics put aside, and while I would not consider myself a great fan of professional wrestling; (I think I watched one of those 'mania' events in a hotel on business once – in Japan go figure) there is no doubt that Linda and Vince McMahon are marketing geniuses.

They give their fans what they want. The fans give them a lot of money for their product. It would be foolish to downplay the McMahon's potential selling power in another arena – that being politics.

This is America after all.

September 18, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  12. Gus The Willie

Rein in "reckless spending"? Did we all hear that before? Or was that a tune Gingrich use to whistle awhile back?

September 18, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  13. Brandon

This is the best present Chris Dodd could have gotten for Christmas.

September 18, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  14. DonnaLee

Wrestling Entertainment ?

Can you see how the Rethuglican debate style would change on the floor of the US Senate ? ... Wam ... Boom ... Flying chairs ... Choke holds ... and finally the pin !

That ought to satisfy all of our righty-tike brethren !

What's next fools ? The cage ?

September 18, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  15. CC

She's more qualified than most and definitely could handle a bunch of backstabbing old geizers in government...go for it!

September 18, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  16. Chris ~ Albany, NY

This has got to be a joke...but hey it's the republican style. She's as serious a contender as her husband's business is real!

September 18, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  17. cfoster

I think it is funny when millionaires show up to try to help us. The only thing she would do is find a way to screw someone over or help to pass tax breaks for he buddies. I think she should answer for all the deaths of her employees such as the case of Benoit ad other wrestlers who have died. .What a disgrace?

September 18, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  18. Phil

It's only appropriate for me to say I hope she lays the smack down on Dodd.

September 18, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  19. John

On CNN.com's home page: "Wrestling millionaire to run for senate"

Yet another sad example of bias reporting from the mainstream media. Do you think they would have called McMahon a "millionaire" if she were a democrat? Of course not. It would have said, "Wrestling CEO aims to fight for little people in Senate"

September 18, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  20. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

another no-class, brain-dead GOP.... what a hoot!

September 18, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  21. Nick San Diego

Does'nt she and the other GOP hopefuls, realize that this mess we're in was due to the Reputlican Bush Administrations policy or she along with the rest of that field t expect the voters to blame it all on this administration who has been in office a few months.

September 18, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  22. Fair is Fair

Anyone who can turn a small regional business into a publically traded multi-billion dollar worldwide enterprise must have the smarts.

McMahon 2010

September 18, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  23. dan

Please no more Dodd. he just cares for the rich and good home deals for himself!!!!!!!!

September 18, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  24. carlos, that one

"It's traded on the News York stock exchange." she said... "News" York stock exchange?????????oh well!!!

September 18, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  25. Dilligaf

Let's get ready to RRRRRRRUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 18, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |