September 18th, 2009

McMahon says WWE antics not a liability to Senate run

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/09/18/art.mcmahon.gi.jpg caption="Linda McMahon told CNN Friday she doesn't expect her company's colorful antics will serve as a liability to her campaign."](CNN) - World Wrestling Entertainment CEO Linda McMahon, who earlier this week announced she is launching a Republican bid to challenge Sen. Chris Dodd in a Democratic primary, told CNN Friday she doesn't expect her company's colorful antics will serve as a liability to her campaign.

"[Voters] enjoy our product, but they also know that it's an entertainment product that's on television and the company that's behind that is a very strong company," McMahon told CNN's Kiran Chetry on American Morning. "It's traded on the News York stock exchange."

McMahon - who joins a crowded field of Republicans hoping to challenge Dodd - also said she can identify with the financial plight of many of the state's voters, since she and husband Vince McMahon once had to declare bankruptcy.

Full interview transcript on AM Fix blog

"We lost our house, we lost our credit cards. We couldn't even rent a car," she said. "So I know the angst of that. I know the embarrassment of that. I know what it's like to wonder, are you going to have a job, are you going to be able to make your mortgage?"

McMahon also said she is running to reform Washington's "reckless" spending.

"You know, I'm a businesswoman and I've been watching what's going on," she said "The mounting debt that we have, people out of work, reckless spending going on in Washington, and I couldn't sit on the sidelines and watch anymore. I really wanted to get in, to do something."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. g

somebody got to stop this notion of taxing the rich if it wasn,t for rich there would,t be poor

September 18, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  2. Ken

Let's see, a financial enabler of uber-steroided, under-witted, pro-violence, anti-reality purveyors of staged drama wants to be a [R] politician. SOUNDS ABOUT JUST RIGHT!

It is sad and embarrassing that a significant portion of our population here in 21st century America actually chooses to support [R] politicians that proudly represent the backwards, anti-enlightenment agenda of the rightwing underbelly of this nation. Welcome to the party of delusion McMahon.

September 18, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  3. Jeff in Virginia

Idiocracy is unfolding right under our eyes.

September 18, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  4. Darth Vadik, CA

I've always liked Vince McCMahon, he is a great entertainer, but I think he has too many scandals on his head to run.

He is ruthless, no doubt about it, a shrewd businessman, but I have a better chance of becoming an opera singer than Vince does in getting elected to the Senate...

...and when I try to sing, even the crows start to cry.

September 18, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  5. Paul

All we need is another phony. We already have Franken, Burrris, not to mention formerly Ventura, and would-be's like Friedman wanting public office. The WWE is riddled with steroid addiction, and about as honest as the Enquirer. Who could believe anything she says?

September 18, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  6. Stu

Well, he is obviously a shrewd businessman, and there isn't much difference between pro rasslin and congress!

September 18, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  7. Jim

That's nice. Accrue a lot of debt, then declare bankruptcy and walk away from it all. Now that they're millionaires, have they paid all their previous creditors back? Doubtful.

September 18, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  8. GI Joe

Maybe she can get one of her guys to shut up the right-wing fringe nuts in the GOP side of the Senate//House

September 18, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  9. Kerry

Put the SMACKDOWN on 'em Linda!

September 18, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  10. Steve (the real one)

We need people in Congress who know how to balance a checkbook! I am NOT saying she will gert elected. What I am saying is that most of the current crop in DC lacks this basic skill! You can't keep spending what you don't have! if I spent like Congress, my family and I would be on public assistance quickly! Many of these top "leaders" are millionaires and I doubt they spend their own money so recklessly and foolishly! Like drunken sailors! My heartfelt apologies to drunken sailors for the evil comparison!!

September 18, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  11. Cappy

Interesting the article does not mention the state is Connecticut.....

September 18, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  12. Leno

Methinks CT is not Minnesota....

September 18, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  13. Bill Paxten

She couldn't handle her own finances, but she wants to help run the finances of our entire country? Please give me another republican candidate to vote for. She's not a contender.

September 18, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  14. Gregory, Scottsdale, AZ

Are U kidding me????? Listen – I'm going to keep this real simple for you. Your taxes will be rasied, you can afford it and you will help w/ Healthcare reform. Deal w/ it becasue it is going to happen. What is wrong with your extremely wealthy people.....

September 18, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  15. makesUwonder

What's her address so I can send her a campaign donation!

September 18, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  16. ron from california

Jesse Ventura in drag. Just ask the state of Minnesota about how much damage wrestlers in government can do.

September 18, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  17. John

Notice how it is always millionaires running for office, something kind of wrong with this don't you think.

September 18, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  18. John Z.

Agreed, theatrical antics are not be a liability in politics. Just witness Joe Wilson and the many other right-wing nuts in U.S. politics.

September 18, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  19. Beyond absurd

The CEO of a company that makes millions from orchestrated violence and obnoxious behavior running for the Senate as a Republican. You can't make this stuff up. She would fit in well with some of the other cartoon character GOP legislators like Demint and Wilson.

September 18, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  20. gl, From Pittsburgh

Do the Republicans have any body that can run other then rich white sports person? These people can not relate to poor and middle class people. There woman have no chance to beat.

September 18, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  21. Debbie W.

If she truly intends to fight Washington's waste – she's got my vote!

September 18, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  22. XXVII

well i think that's good for her!

canton friendship festival rules!

September 18, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  23. SBrown

In 2010 my dog could beat Dodd. Thanks for the Housing mess Dodd!

September 18, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  24. tochi

WWE and GOP politics have one thing in common-both are fake-so she must be qualified

September 18, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  25. Enough

Why should it be an issue? Look at what is the senate now, a bunch of tax cheats, crooks, clowns, etc!

September 18, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |