October 2nd, 2009

Even in time of war, 'pork' still reigns

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Obama campaigned on a vow to end wasteful spending, but even in a time of war and record deficits, pork still reigns on Capitol Hill.

Funds meant to help U.S. troops at war are instead being spent on senators' pet projects that are geared more toward helping their home states.

Utah National Guardsmen returning from risky deployments receive a gesture of appreciation, a video scrapbook about their battalion and tour of duty. The video is produced by a business in Utah called StoryRock.

That $5 million comes from the fund that's supposed to pay for troops' basic needs such as food, fuel and ammunition.

But Bennett says the project saves money in the end.

Full story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Burns NH

Pork is for those who have no credible place in our society,when all
    taxpayers are expected to fund frivolous dollars for the ego's of the
    politicians on their own agendas of personal gain is unconstitutional
    and illegal. I submit that congress be censured and held response
    ble for their actions.

October 2, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  2. inofritzn

"President Obama campaigned on a vow to end wasteful spending..." Oh boy that made my Friday, rofl!

October 2, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  3. D: Tree

Earmarks still only account for a fraction of our overall budget. This is just another Straw Man for the Republicans to pound on. They act like they don't have any earmarks, but the the Republicans are as bad as anyone else!

October 2, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  4. rr

So much for Obama's campaign promise to end business as usual and wasteful spending.

October 2, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  5. bill

All congresspeople are porkers and the American people are going to set "term limits" for them in the future by not re-electing any of them.

After all, it's not "their" money that they are spending. It's "public" money.

October 2, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  6. Michael M, Phoenix AZ

SO? What else is new. There has always been that kind of spending by both sides of the aisle in Washington hasn't there? It is like Gen Westmoreland constantly calling for more and more troops in Nam....now it's the new general's turn to ask for more troops, and without a draft or popular backing.

October 2, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  7. S Callahan

Though I don't begruge the video idea...i do begruge the use of taxpayers funds..particulary pork item.
    This is something I think families would willingly pay for, as well it would sustain buisnesses in each state (even if franchised) if left to the private sector. It's common sense.

October 2, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  8. Hammerer

Only one Republican has an earmark for $5 million?
    Are there not others with pork in this bill?
    Where is the list of the other players or would that be unbiased reporting and I know that CNN claims to be the leader in honest news reporting.

October 2, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  9. Pat

figures...47% of america doesn't pay taxes and the remaining 53% buy the pork, the new health care proposal, the expensive life styles of Congressmen. I may as well quit my job. My investments that are now worth 30% less that what I had continues to go down. When the country goes bankrupt, those investments will be worthless. I pay taxes, I save, spend wisely and don't buy anything on debt – play by the rules, yet we get nothing. So I may as well quit and let the Gov and Democrats take care of me. A lot less stressful this way.

October 2, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  10. AntiRush

"Utah's Republican Sen. Robert Bennett wants to help his home-state company take their project nationwide, so he's secured a $5 million earmark in the defense spending bill."

I thought that the Republicans were against earmarks. I thought that they were fiscally responsible.

October 2, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  11. gt

more waste of our money..... this crap makes me sick...no matter the party.... oh ya thats right ..its not there money ...so they dont give a crap .... pitful !

October 2, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  12. B

Nothing seems to ever change when it comes to politics and Money!

October 2, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  13. just saying

way back in 1982 when i enlisted in the us army...guess what? they freakin paid me ...dont know why soldiers/marines are having such a hard time that folks have to send them money....

just saying

October 2, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  14. Randomone

The president doesn’t consider flying off to Copenhagen a waste of tax payer’s money? The use of Air Force One and its double plus the addition of the transport to carry the limos seems a bit much considering the current state of our economy. It would be apparent that the Olympic officials were not impressed by this move as well. I do believe it did more harm than good. I thought Obama was trying to get away from the America in your face appearance.

October 2, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |