October 5th, 2009

New GOP ad hits Deeds on remark to female reporter

New GOP ad hits Deeds on remark to female reporter.

New GOP ad hits Deeds on remark to female reporter.

(CNN) - After weeks of Democratic attacks on Republican Bob McDonnell's 20-year-old comments on women in the workplace, the GOP is going on the offensive in the Virginia governor's race, hitting Creigh Deeds over a public comment to a female reporter.

The Republican Governor's Association is launching a 30-second TV spot that points to the Democratic gubernatorial candidate's post-debate press conference last month, where he referred to a female reporter as "young lady."

"Did you catch that?" the ad asks, after showing the back-and-forth exchange. "It gets worse."

The commercial, which will air heavily across the state this week, comes after a major Democratic push to focus the race on views in McDonnell's thesis two decades ago. The Republican's recently-reported comments on working women and other social issues have become a lightning rod issue in the campaign, and are credited with helping Deeds close the gap with his GOP opponent over the closing months of the race.

McDonnell is also out with a positive ad promoting his plans to improve the state's transit system.

"Better roads mean better jobs," McDonnell says in the 30-second spot, set to run in Northern Virginia.

Filed under: Bob McDonnell • Creigh Deeds • Popular Posts
  1. Independent Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

It sounds to me that the "young lady" reporter asked one too many questions or wasn't behaving like a "woman."

She sorta looks like Sarah Palin..............I wonder if this person IS a woman or still a "young lady."

Actually, being called a "lady" isn't something I prefer, because it carries with it certain responsibilities to act like a "lady."

Some women liked to be referred to as a "lady." But when it happens, we object????????????????

October 5, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  2. Eileen

The Dems are going to lose. Obama is the worst president ever. They over reach and the GOP will replace them. Same ol, same ol.

October 5, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  3. Shasta

I fail to see where the insult is...and I'm a 22 year old woman.

October 5, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  4. proud dem in nc

Picky Picky!! Since when is being called "young lady" such a horrible thing? The Rethuglicans are sooooo desperate and it shows. The party of NO ideas, and NO solutions has to resort to nit picking. They've really gone down the toilet. Rush, Newt, Ann, Beck and Hannity. bye bye!!

October 5, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  5. Jeff

This is stupid. I imagine most women would prefer to be called "young lady"...how many would like to be called "old lady"? Just distractions from the issues from both sides...grow up OLD MEN.

October 5, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  6. Melissa

Why is it a big deal to be addressed as "young lady"? Its kind of formal, but oh well. And btw, I'm a 33 year old woman. It doesn't bother me a bit to be addressed as "young lady", because I AM a young lady.

Its much more offensive to be called "dear", "honey", or "sweetheart".

And by the way, "Sir" and "Ma'am" aren't offensive either, though they are definitely respectful and have a tendency to make a person feel old. I work in the public service industry and I find it incredibly aggravating to have to identify myself in calls so that the caller addresses me by my name instead of more politely as "Ma'am" or "Miss". Its rude. I'm NOT their friend and shouldn't be treated as such.

This is incredibly childish, especially since the GOP prefer their women barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen and away from "men's work".

October 5, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  7. independent Jim

Sorry – the older I get, the more I am required to refer to "young ladies" and "young men". The sad fact is that there are fewer "older folks" than I am, and it's really demoralizing....

I am encouraged by a comment heard a while back, though: "Middle age is always 15 years older than you are."

October 5, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  8. An old dame from New York

Oh boy, McConnell is really on the defensive if he's beating his rival over the head for referring to a young woman as "young lady." Pitiful.

October 5, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  9. Nick 27, So Cal

I don't get it! Calling a woman young lady is offensive??? Calling a woman ma'am is a no no. Can you say desperate Republican... This guy is trapped in a corner and is going to throw any stone next to him! Funny that McDonnell is wasting thousands of dollars on tv ads going on the offensive!! This is a great example of our faulty political system where the people who need representation are getting screwed by two opponents who are bashing each other for POWER and GLORY.

October 5, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  10. eyckie

Wow, what an awful thing to say to a young lady. Are Repubs really this petty? Grasping at strawmen.

October 5, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  11. Jeffrey

That's it, he called her Young Lady. Normally, I'd say the best defense, in some cases, is a good offense, but this is neither.

It's not he said, "Hey you old lady, shut up and get back in the kitchen!" He called her a young lady, I know my mother loves it when people call her that.

October 5, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  12. Gentwelve

We have become a nation wher childish pranks and adolescent jibberish are the norm. Pathetic........

October 5, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  13. Operation Replacement

Digging up dirt on McDonnell going back 20 years...why are they
    stooping so low? What can we do to raise the level of campaigning
    in this country? Right now it's at the level of MSNBC tabloid news.

October 5, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  14. Nancy

I am 51 and I still get called sweetie and honey by elderly men. I take it as a sign of affection and not as anything negative. I am a conservative and I took up for Obama when he got blasted for calling a woman "sweetie" during his campaign. I think this is just being petty and people need to get a life.

October 5, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  15. bill taylor,, belize

OH MY GAWD!!!
    she should sue him, his family and relatives, take his house, car, assets, assets for all eternity, then jail him!
    it is just sooooooooo terrible to have refered to her as a 'young lady"
    i'm in shock,,,,,

October 5, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  16. Eyckie

Wow, what an awful thing to call a young lady.

Republicans are grasping at straws. They got nothin'.

October 5, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  17. tee

Whats wrong with calling her a young lady......I don't get it.....then again I don't get the repugs and their folowers.....Thank God, they are the monority.........Lets bury them next election.

October 5, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  18. charlie in Maine

Only in the new GOP world of make believe is "young lady" a slur and "You lie" simply a comment. Hey GOP you lost get over it. I had to put up with 8 long years of w Bush and he wasn't even elected the first time.

October 5, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  19. Doc

McDonnel promises to get us our fair share of tax monies for our schools and our roads while at the same time cutting our taxes. I guess he can do that since our fair share of nothing will be nothing. Somebody has to pay the bills and it's a choice between the tax and spend democrats or the don't tax and spend anyway republicans. I find the former method more honest than the latter, bribing us for our votes with our own money!

October 5, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  20. charlie in Maine

oh there it is thanks.

October 5, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  21. Dwayne

I suppose it would have made more sense if he had called her "Old Hag". Maybe the liberals would have been happy then!

October 5, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  22. sally

Seriously? Young Lady? What on earth is wrong with that?

October 5, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  23. Beverly

What's the problem with refering to someone as "young lady" ? What should he have called her? "Female Reporter" ?

October 5, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  24. Amelia

What is wrong with "young lady"?

October 5, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  25. taurran

What's wrong with "young lady". She was younger than him, no?

This country is in a sad state if you can't simply call someone "young" without being labeled an "Ageist".

October 5, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |