October 5th, 2009

New GOP ad hits Deeds on remark to female reporter

New GOP ad hits Deeds on remark to female reporter.

New GOP ad hits Deeds on remark to female reporter.

(CNN) - After weeks of Democratic attacks on Republican Bob McDonnell's 20-year-old comments on women in the workplace, the GOP is going on the offensive in the Virginia governor's race, hitting Creigh Deeds over a public comment to a female reporter.

The Republican Governor's Association is launching a 30-second TV spot that points to the Democratic gubernatorial candidate's post-debate press conference last month, where he referred to a female reporter as "young lady."

"Did you catch that?" the ad asks, after showing the back-and-forth exchange. "It gets worse."

The commercial, which will air heavily across the state this week, comes after a major Democratic push to focus the race on views in McDonnell's thesis two decades ago. The Republican's recently-reported comments on working women and other social issues have become a lightning rod issue in the campaign, and are credited with helping Deeds close the gap with his GOP opponent over the closing months of the race.

McDonnell is also out with a positive ad promoting his plans to improve the state's transit system.

"Better roads mean better jobs," McDonnell says in the 30-second spot, set to run in Northern Virginia.

Filed under: Bob McDonnell • Creigh Deeds • Popular Posts
  1. J.Crobuzon

. . . and this is bad because she was obviously an old lady? No? She was young, but no lady? Maybe 'she' was a guy in drag? Still no? Well, he should have just asked her if she had a speech impediment, then made fun if she said yes. I hear that's ok now.
    Silly Republicans! Governorships are for Democrats.

October 5, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  2. John

What a waste of his money and our air time. She looks young and hopefully acts like a lady – so what's the big deal? If he called her m'am he'd probably be lambasted for agism. Give me a break. Talk about Deficit reduction or something relevent.

October 5, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  3. Angie

I am from the South (Virginia) I thought being called "lady" was a sign of respect. Deeds is close to my age and I grew up calling people Sir, M'am and Miss. My Grandma called me young lady when I was that age. I guess McDonnell had to ambush him to counter his subversive ideas about women. People are finding out about the real Pat Roberson I mean McDonnell.

October 5, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  4. FormerGOP

Seriously! It that it! OK then. Ummm That is so stupid, This is why I as a republican voted a straight Dem ticket, and I will do it again! Obama 2012

October 5, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  5. Jaye

Deeds is nothing but a country hayseed who is reaching far beyond what he is qualified to do. He should stay on his farm and keep on riding that tractor of his instead of making things worse in the VA Commonwealth.

October 5, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  6. Lynn

Who cares!!! Stupid politicians on both sides arguing about things no one cares about! Honestly, if I spent this much time on something at my job, I would be fired!

October 5, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  7. AJ

Once again the GOP is absurd.

October 5, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  8. Me

Yeah, Rose, that offshore drilling would take a whole 5-10 years to see any profit! Not to mention to overall impact it'd have on oil & gas prices in the long run. Geez, let's just not do it then. After all, unless we see immediate effects let's not bother to invest in the future what-so-ever. No wonder you're a Dem, you probably think deficit spending won't impact the next generation either. Lord help this country.

October 5, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  9. MB

Jeez, I didn't think "young lady" was such a bad thing to be called. It's a good thing he didn't say something like, "...you old bag."

October 5, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  10. Fitz

"Young Lady" how dare he refer to her like that? OMG the bastard. What was he thinking? We certainly don't need our elected officials referring to young ladies as young lady.

October 5, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  11. Ian Rennie

wait, that's all they have? He called someone "young lady"?

that's pathetic.

October 5, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  12. Laurie in Spokane

Did I miss something here? Being called a "Young lady" if in fact one is young, is just a polite expression in any circumstance. Better than being called something else.

The Republicans are desperate aren't they?

October 5, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  13. pd

Its not like her referred to her as a "broad".

Smells like desperation.

October 5, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  14. joel palmer

If this is the best McDonnell can do; he's toast

October 5, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  15. kaleto

Why is the democratic party the party of hypocrisy? Because you know very well if a republican had referred to a reporter as "young lady" (even 20 years ago), they would have come out with an ad lambasting him for it!

It amazes me how much time and effort the democrats spend trying to dig up questionable comments by their opponents–even ancient ones. I guess they do it because they know it appeals to their base: people who embrace style over substance and get their news from The Daily Show.

October 5, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  16. Spardog

What is the Sam Hill is wrong with the GOP (Gang of Perverts) these days? Being called a "Young Lady" is applying manners towards a young woman.

Many rebubs are an embarrassment to America.

October 5, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  17. Michelle

The term "young lady" is usually coined in order to make a woman feel as though she was second-class to the speaker. It's DEROGATORY. It's CONDESCENDING. It's not a slur, but it's plenty RUDE.

The only time it's appropriate is when you're talking to a five-year old girl. Anyone who doesn't understand that needs to wake up.

October 5, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  18. Phil

Perhaps it's offensive bc she's not really a lady. Maybe she's transgendered. Or an alien. Or a robot. Also doesn't the statute of limitations on young run out once youre 25?

October 5, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  19. joel palmer

McDonnell is an absolute and total disgrace; he should hang his head in shame; stratght from the 1800s

October 5, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  20. Kate in San Diego

As if the GOP cares anything at all about women! Especially when it involves equal treatment! This is so funny I almost hurt myself laughing.

October 5, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  21. JR

That's the best the GOP can come up with, "young lady", what's next criticizing if a democrat calls someone "Sir"?

October 5, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  22. One Proud Texan

LOL...where's the part about where she made fun of the Gov's speech impedement??? Oh, that's right, doesn't play ball in this court...my bad.

October 5, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  23. disgustedbyall

I think anyone including the female reporter that finds this phrase offensive is down right 'STUPID" .....it just shows ignorant ones who find it offensive have no manners or class!

October 5, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  24. JB

Folks, when are we going to stop creating division and strife over these asinine comments???? This is one of the many reasons this country is in such a uproar due to focusing on ridiculous issues such as this one!!!!!

October 5, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  25. tony

So it is not polite to call someone young lady anymore? She is younger than Deeds, right? Since when did Republicans become P.C. police?

October 5, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |