October 5th, 2009

New GOP ad hits Deeds on remark to female reporter

New GOP ad hits Deeds on remark to female reporter.

New GOP ad hits Deeds on remark to female reporter.

(CNN) - After weeks of Democratic attacks on Republican Bob McDonnell's 20-year-old comments on women in the workplace, the GOP is going on the offensive in the Virginia governor's race, hitting Creigh Deeds over a public comment to a female reporter.

The Republican Governor's Association is launching a 30-second TV spot that points to the Democratic gubernatorial candidate's post-debate press conference last month, where he referred to a female reporter as "young lady."

"Did you catch that?" the ad asks, after showing the back-and-forth exchange. "It gets worse."

The commercial, which will air heavily across the state this week, comes after a major Democratic push to focus the race on views in McDonnell's thesis two decades ago. The Republican's recently-reported comments on working women and other social issues have become a lightning rod issue in the campaign, and are credited with helping Deeds close the gap with his GOP opponent over the closing months of the race.

McDonnell is also out with a positive ad promoting his plans to improve the state's transit system.

"Better roads mean better jobs," McDonnell says in the 30-second spot, set to run in Northern Virginia.

Filed under: Bob McDonnell • Creigh Deeds • Popular Posts
  1. Navy Vet

So calling her young lady is bad, but mocking Deed because he's a studderer is ok?

How stupid can they get?

October 5, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Obama and the whole democratic party is an embarresment to the country.......Obama and most democrats are elitist that think they know what is best for me and my family......I'll take free choice and free will and will give to charity when I choose. Obama-change that will destroy us

October 5, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  3. Big Deal

So what, that is a terribly offensive remark, 'young lady' wow, who will be next to take offense at simple things. I'm thinking of words like butterfly, flower, sunshine...step up crazy people! Start a new offensive to put me in my place for saying these words that I'm sure will offend someone!

October 5, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  4. Cat

What will these pathetic Republicans do next?

October 5, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  5. Centrist

McDonnell unfortunately shows desperation trying to divert from his fundamentalist views against working women, which only continues to be highlighted by this ad.

Since when is not ok to say young lady? Is that not politically correct for McDonnell's antiquated positions in fundamentalism? It seems sad projection on McDonnell's part.

October 5, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  6. Kathy

Young Lady is now a bad word?

October 5, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  7. Michael

Should he have called her "old lady"?

If it was a guy and he'd called him "young man", nobody would care.

Just more GOP pseudo-outrage masquerading as a legitimate concern. Pathetic.

October 5, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  8. Dave

Wow. He called her a young lady. I'm stunned.

Seriously, if this is the absolute worst thing that they could come up against a public figure then I'm pretty sure this guy is almost a saint.

October 5, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  9. gl, From Pittsburgh

Bob McDonnell's was to privatize liquor stores and you think he is going to stop at just the liqors stores? Not ,becasue the GOP is for the corporations and want to end government for good. Most poor people work for the government becasue Corporations only hiring mostly their white friend. Govenment is created jobs while Corp. is seeing our jobs over seas. I guest wants the Liquor stores are privatized they will be seen over seas as well. GOP is a danger to this country. They want to privatize every thing and then sent our jobs over seas. We seen this movie before.

October 5, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  10. deb

Oh come on, Republicans! Is that the best you can come up with??!!! That is absolutely RIDICULOUS!

October 5, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  11. blindbear

There's a whole lot more to talk about here than just "young lady". I'd question the fiscal sanity of the Republican Governors Association. How much does it cost to produce and run a 30-second TV ad? Somewhere, some group of Republicans sat around a table and said, "Wow, lets go out and spend a couple of hundred thousand dollars on this incredibly critical issue".

These are the people that want to manage Virginia's finances? Save us. I hear they're working on an impeachment resolution because Obama farted at a news conference.

October 5, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  12. Scott

childish and pathetic . . .

October 5, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  13. Republicans is smart in the head area

He should have called her "Macaca", then the GOP would be saying it was meaningless word and that people were making too big a deal over it.

October 5, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  14. Classy 57

You know, I'm a conservative and a woman, but I don't give a rat's nibble when a man refers to a woman as young lady or miss or cutie. Men are men; women are women. The difference is we women usually refer to men by names in the privacy of female company only.
    Give it a rest, folks, and let's hear some substantial debate.

October 5, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  15. Gay Maley

How is Mr. McConnell running as a "jobs" anything when he dismissed federal funds for the state? Republicans will say anything to get elected and then do nothing except keep themselves in power. I don't have very high hopes for our state, but I will never vote for a Republican for anything!

October 5, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  16. Marlene

The GOP is using juvenile tactics. Teachable moments are not these. Jr. High school students know better debate tactics than these.

October 5, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  17. gl, From Pittsburgh

Since when did "young lady" become a derogative comment?

This ad is another waste of money for the STUPID GOP!

October 5, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  18. AustHall

That is pathetic!!! Deeds called her "young lady"

The Republicans have lost their minds

October 5, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  19. Cathy in AZ

I echo the sentiment – when did it become derogatory to call some one "young lady". Grow UP!

October 5, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  20. jayindenver

So if I address an audience as "Ladies and Gentlemen," according to the Virginia GOP, I am now using insulting language. Wow. If Deeds had said, "Got that, beeyotch?" it might be an issue. Calling a young lady (regardless of her age) a young lady - how can Virginians live with these kinds of offensive, insulting pejoratives?

Get a clue, Virginia. This ad is a pathetic, inexcusable joke.

October 5, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  21. unshrub

We have a friend who is 76, and he calls my wife, who is 56, young lady all of the time. My wife loves it. What is wrong with these republicans. If that is all they can find wrong with Creigh Deeds, everyone should vote for him.

October 5, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  22. Barry

Yes I believe it is something that the GOP needs to learn. I think we should all strive to Call the GOP what it is a Bunch of OLD FARTS

October 5, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  23. Bubba, Sunnyvale, CA

I guess I haven't kept up with the ever-changing norms on political correctness. What's wrong with young lady?

October 5, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  24. Rob

LAME!!! LOL! Oh you Repub's are better than the old Dial A Joke phone line.

October 5, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  25. marcia

What a pitiful thing to get upset about much less to report on.
    Deeds was being polite.
    What was he supposed to call her???
    What is wrong with everyone? NO ONE CAN SAY