October 5th, 2009

New GOP ad hits Deeds on remark to female reporter

New GOP ad hits Deeds on remark to female reporter.

New GOP ad hits Deeds on remark to female reporter.

(CNN) - After weeks of Democratic attacks on Republican Bob McDonnell's 20-year-old comments on women in the workplace, the GOP is going on the offensive in the Virginia governor's race, hitting Creigh Deeds over a public comment to a female reporter.

The Republican Governor's Association is launching a 30-second TV spot that points to the Democratic gubernatorial candidate's post-debate press conference last month, where he referred to a female reporter as "young lady."

"Did you catch that?" the ad asks, after showing the back-and-forth exchange. "It gets worse."

The commercial, which will air heavily across the state this week, comes after a major Democratic push to focus the race on views in McDonnell's thesis two decades ago. The Republican's recently-reported comments on working women and other social issues have become a lightning rod issue in the campaign, and are credited with helping Deeds close the gap with his GOP opponent over the closing months of the race.

McDonnell is also out with a positive ad promoting his plans to improve the state's transit system.

"Better roads mean better jobs," McDonnell says in the 30-second spot, set to run in Northern Virginia.

Filed under: Bob McDonnell • Creigh Deeds • Popular Posts
  1. Vinnyb

For anyone thinking the Madonnel has not put for any proposals for solving problems, i think you need to search for Deeds specifics, i think you will find ZERO.

October 5, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  2. Stephan

Four weeks out and McDonnell has lost significant support – polling below 50% now, and with only a 4% cushion. Still think it will be a close one – but that Deeds may be able to motivate enough people in the suburbs of Richmond and DC to upset McDonnell – that thesis is the gift that will just keep on giving. That he's going negative now suggests he's out of argument and scared.

October 5, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  3. Chris ~ Albany, NY

Young lady is not bad at all. It's 100 times better than calling her cutie, sweetie or hun so what's the flap all about???

October 5, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  4. Truth Teller

Speaking of a thesis; I'd sure like to see Obama's. But since he has spent over $1m in legal fees to keep ALL his records sealed, we the public will never know what was in his mind while being indoctrinated by the likes of Saul Alinsky.

October 5, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  5. Anonymous

calling a young lady "young lady" is disrespectful? oh, that's right... republicans think young ladies should be called "second class citizens". sorry, i forgot.

October 5, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  6. Russ

I'd like to know how old the reporter is before I can comment further.

October 5, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  7. Vinnyb

If this were an African American he would have said "Boy". Anyone notice how Deeds does not seem to be saying much about Obama.

He trucks out Warner who said Deeds has job-creation proposals, but they done mention that Deeds supports OBamas cap-and-trade, which will KILL jobs, especially manufacturing jobs and coal jobs in southwest virginia.

October 5, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  8. Roger

My God, how more petty can we become! If this wasn't so acinine, it would be funny! The Republicans are getting to be beyond pathetic – grasping at anything they think will hold water.

GROW UP and deal with matters of consequence that are country is facing rather than engage in this moronish childish name calling. Shame on you!

October 5, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  9. Rumsfeld

Young lady? And, the problem with that is what? Wow, the GOP does not get it. Get a clue people.

October 5, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  10. Todd

What horse manure. Comparing an off the cuff remark that ever guy over the age of 35 has made at some point or another to political and phoilosophical positions putting women into the status of 2nd class citizens is ridiculous. It shows that mcdonnell really is a smear and lie and obfuscate bush republicon to the core. He's got nothing so he is willing to use dirty tricks to ry to score cheap points.

How stupid does this guy think voters in VA really are????

October 5, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  11. republicans hate america

she should be happy she was being recognized as a young lady because she doesnt look anything close. just more phony outrage that is the Rush Glen Beck Limbaugh party

October 5, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  12. Sean

I guess I didn't realize that "young lady" was a derogatory term.

October 5, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  13. Ryan

This is pretty over the top nuts.

October 5, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  14. midwest liberal

I think GOP doesn't mean Grand Old Party anymore. It means Grumpy Old Poops...

October 5, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  15. kimberly

you HAVE to be kidding me??? This idiot says women should not work, OR have been givin the right to vote, and thinks saying young lady is even remotely close??? WOW, talk about bad advise from his handlers. This is going to back fire BIG TIME!!! This is like someone calling black people the N word, and comparing it to calling coal black. NOT EVEN IN THE SAME LEAGUE! UNREAL! I love it though, just shows how out of touch this loser on the right really is...

October 5, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  16. tony

The GOP as the moral and courtesy police? Please! The GOP is nothing but a good ole boys club for for fat, racist, homophobic, adultering old white men scared that their power is slipping away.

October 5, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  17. Student

I think "Young Lady" is a compliment... I honestly don't see how they can think that was offensive.

October 5, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  18. sensible Cape Coral FL

Anyone can call me "Young Lady" and I'd say "THANK YOU very much. BTW I'm 78 years old.

October 5, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  19. Todd

If it was a man and he called him young man would that also be an insult? She is young. She is a woman. Hence the combination of words, young and lady.

mcdonnell thinks Virginians are such imbeciles they will confuse calling a young lady "young lady" with soending decades trying to revoke the 20th century.

October 5, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  20. Angie

So...I should be angry and offended if someone calls me "young lady"? I prefer "young lady" over "Hey, girl!" any day. xD

I don't really get it.

Then again, I don't get anything the GOP does or says. Eh.

October 5, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  21. gardine

I'd rather be called a "young lady" (which I am, incidentally) than a "fornicator" or a "destroyer of the family". (eh, McDonnell?)

October 5, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  22. Don

At this point the "Bush bash" is old news, democrats not knowing how to deal with wars and the economy is more worrisome....

October 5, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  23. Ky

It's not just that he called her "young lady"...he spoke down to her. It was the same tone that I use when I am disciplining my children. I took it as he was patronizing her. The tone of the language speaks more than the language itself...believe me, I have a degree in linguistics.

October 5, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  24. Minnesotan

Most women would love to be called, "young lady," especially since the Republican version is "chattel."

October 5, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  25. Doris

Young Lady is plenty condescending and if you don't think so imagine him addressing a male reporter in the same fashion.

Regardless, there are plenty of men from both parties (and across the nation) who still think of women in Eisenhower-era terms. The only difference is who thinks it and who dares to speak it.

October 5, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |