October 5th, 2009

New GOP ad hits Deeds on remark to female reporter

New GOP ad hits Deeds on remark to female reporter.

New GOP ad hits Deeds on remark to female reporter.

(CNN) - After weeks of Democratic attacks on Republican Bob McDonnell's 20-year-old comments on women in the workplace, the GOP is going on the offensive in the Virginia governor's race, hitting Creigh Deeds over a public comment to a female reporter.

The Republican Governor's Association is launching a 30-second TV spot that points to the Democratic gubernatorial candidate's post-debate press conference last month, where he referred to a female reporter as "young lady."

"Did you catch that?" the ad asks, after showing the back-and-forth exchange. "It gets worse."

The commercial, which will air heavily across the state this week, comes after a major Democratic push to focus the race on views in McDonnell's thesis two decades ago. The Republican's recently-reported comments on working women and other social issues have become a lightning rod issue in the campaign, and are credited with helping Deeds close the gap with his GOP opponent over the closing months of the race.

McDonnell is also out with a positive ad promoting his plans to improve the state's transit system.

"Better roads mean better jobs," McDonnell says in the 30-second spot, set to run in Northern Virginia.

Filed under: Bob McDonnell • Creigh Deeds • Popular Posts
  1. warren

This is it? This is the best they have?

Clearly, the Obama lovers / Bush haters jump on it as a sign of the devil, because that's what they want it to be. You can find wrong anywhere you want to find it, whether it's there or not.

I had no idea young lady was an insult. Would there have been a big a fuss over young man? Who knows, but I doubt it. Make controversy where there is none. keeps this stupid little "news" sites in business and the forums hot.

October 5, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  2. Proud Boulder Liberal

The Republicans: much ado about nothing, irrelevant.

October 5, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  3. Lila

Really? Young Lady is offensive?
    It shows his age more than anything else. I've NEVER gotten offended when an elder has addressed me as "young lady," even when s/he is angry. I feel flattered and respected when I get called Young Lady 🙂

October 5, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  4. vic nashville , Tn

Republicans ran same type of ad in 2006 senate race here ( Tennessee) but they won

As long as some people believe this kind of ad we can’t expect change

October 5, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  5. chenz

Let's see. She was young but maybe she's not a lady. This is a non issue.

October 5, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  6. Beth

The young lady probably took it as a compliment. Do the Republicans really think this will work?!!!

October 5, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  7. JT

Should he have called her "age appropriate female"?

October 5, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  8. dem all the way!!!

would the Repubs prefer her to becalled "old women!!!"

October 5, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  9. Dave R. Pawleys Island, SC

Again, Republicans use distraction by picking fly crap out of pepper. They continue to fail to get to the heart of qany matter.

October 5, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  10. mabel floyd

well once again the republicans show that when it comes to ideas to help the people–they have none.
    one more time the c street philosophy is a looser and all those who follow it are themselves vacuous idiots.

October 5, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  11. Grog in Ohio

Seriously? Is this the best the GOP has? I call my daughters "young lady" ALL the time. Who knew it was a slur??? Pathetic.

October 5, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  12. birdy

i don't find anything offensive about being called a young lady. this is really reaching.

October 5, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  13. Jake

wow. grasping for straws much?

October 5, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  14. mims

I'm 46 i would love for someone to call me young lady...

October 5, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  15. CJL

Hillarious. Its not that it's a slur. It's that it perfectly demonstrates the 'shut up – I know better than you' democrat ideology. Can we make a law where when a public servant tries to put someone in their place like this, we instantly remind them that we are in charge by docking them say...I don't know...3 month's pay? Maybe even publicly flogging them or something funny. They seem to forget to easily.

October 5, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  16. Jilli

"Young lady" is a slur.

Lord help us. This is nothing but petty nonsense – which are the two words that most accurately describe the antics of the republican party these days.

October 5, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  17. Bob Wilkins

OK, so I've read the article a couple times and I'm still having a hard time understanding what the problem is here.

October 5, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  18. Yawn

Is this what what the Republicans have been reduced to. It's bad enough that they have no ideas or plans of their own, now they have been reduced to playground politics.

October 5, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  19. Jason

The media hypes the dumbest crap. What difference does it make that he said "young lady"? There are bigger things to worry about.

October 5, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  20. vette gal

As a 66 year old woman, I would consider it a compliment if someone called me "young lady". If you're going to cast stones, at least make sure they are big ones. When are our politicians going to start acting like adults and not children. Maybe it's time to vote all of them out of office and start anew. I, for one, would like to see term limits for all politicial offices. Then maybe our politicians would do what they're supposed to do while they're in office, SERVE THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES, instead of themselves.

October 5, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  21. wheat

I am a republican and I see nothing wrong with calling someone a "young lady". I think too much of a big deal is being made of this.

October 5, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  22. Welches, Oregon

......as explained on Mad Men last night

when you can't win – DELAY.

has anyone noticed how the themes of shows today are very political – very liberal leaning – which is good for the country.

October 5, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  23. GaryB

One of my vendors calls me "young man" all the time. I always thought it was an inside joke because I'm in my 40s but he's in his 60s, but now Bob McDonnell has enlighted me. I should be offended! Thank God the Republicans are on top of the whole politically correct speech thing, or I would never know when I should be offended!

October 5, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  24. Welches, Oregon

it's so wonderful to see the Citizens engaged and informed.

Never again will be let the GOP (or any political party for that matter) hijack our country again.

October 5, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  25. a_racquet

Are you kidding me? What is the unemployment rate in their state? Isn't that more important?! How sad.

October 5, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |