October 6th, 2009

Letterman invokes Palin in apology

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/10/06/art.letterman.gi.jpg caption="Leterman is issuing another apology to Sarah Palin."]

(CNN) - As long as David Letterman is apologizing after revelations he had sexual relations with members of his staff, why not throw an extra one in to former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin?

The embattled late night comedian wrapped up his lengthy apology to his staff and family Monday night with a light-hearted reference to the public spat he and Palin had three months ago over an inappropriate joke.

"Through all of this, you have to ask yourself what really happened. And what really happened was you can't be victimized by criminals. So you have to go ahead and push back if you're being pushed by something illegal like this," Letterman told his audience Monday.

"And through all of the heartache, and the attention, and the embarrassment, I still feel like I did the right thing, and now also, because what can it hurt, once again I'd like to apologize to the former Governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin. I'm terribly, terribly sorry. So there we go," he added to cheers from the crowd.

Letterman joked in June that Palin's "daughter was knocked up by Alex Rodriguez" at a recent Yankees game, but later insisted he was referring to Palin's 18-year-old, Bristol, who gave birth to a boy in December, and not the 14-year-old Willow who actually attended the game.

Palin, John McCain's running mate in last year's presidential election, called the joke "inappropriate" and "sexually perverted," and a Palin spokeswoman said it would be wise to "keep Willow away from David Letterman."

Filed under: David Letterman • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Don Maurer

I know that Mr. Letterman is not perfect, and believe that he knows it as well. That said, he remains a class act in taking personal responsibility and seeking to make amends when he is wrong. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him on TV the past couple of decades, and have a great deal of respect for his sense of personal responsibility as well as his sense of humor. While no one is perfect, or should be perceived as such, Mr. Letterman remains one of the main role models in my life and I applaude him!

October 6, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  2. Hayley

Just what she needs, more media coverage. Just go away already, Sarah.

October 6, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  3. fellow from chicago

No sympathy for this guy using his prestige and fame to get women in the "sack". Hope his peers like Leno, Colbert, O'Brien and the rest give it to him good. "How does it feel Dave?"

October 6, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  4. Brian

This says invoke, but the link says Palin "wins" apology. Just thought it was funny seeing her actually win something, even if its a childish back and forth between celebs.

October 6, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  5. WeThePeopleofVirginia

Letterman is still a DIRTBAG ! ! !

October 6, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  6. meltem

Wow, I hope this calms people on both sides. Maybe these small gestures will help heal some wounds that words cause. As a conservative woman, I'm tired of all the ugliness on both sides.

October 6, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  7. Aunt Bea and Opie

We have the same two words for Sarah Palin,David Letterman and Rush Limbaugh.

October 6, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  8. Debby

Please CBS should just get rid of this guy sounds like he is off his rocker already.

October 6, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  9. Puddin'

Letterman's behavior confirms my belief that he is really a stupid male and not so funny. I can't believe he "confessed his sins" before the whole world and ruined the reputations of the women along with his own . Even if he was bent on doing that, he sure could have handled it more delicately. To blurt out "I had sex with women who worked for the show" is inexcusable. If he thought he just had to confess, he could have said he had had "long term relationships with women who worked for the show." I think adults can assume what goes on with most (not all) long term relationships. I say "kick him to the curb" and replace him with Drew Carey or Al Roker but only if they sign a contract to keep their really personal lives to themselves.

October 6, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  10. Ted

I have never seen the Letterman show, but this guy is a pathetic moron.

October 6, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  11. T'SAH from Virginia

PUT A LID ON IT!!! You have your fans and will always have your fans!! The SORRYS are beginning to sound BORING!!

And PLEASE – you already rinsed your mouth out will PAL-ER-INE so now it's time to spit it out – inhale a refreshing breath of minty freshness – and then MOVE ON!!! Jeez!!

October 6, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  12. Letterman has finally learned.....

that "what goes around, comes around."

The Palinettes are absolutely beside themselves with glee as Letterman eats humble pie.

However there may be more to come as some of Letterman's office conquests may have been married. If so, he can expect to hear from the husbands and their lawyers.

October 6, 2009 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  13. Jen

It's amazing to me that Sarah Palin has been out of the spotlight for months now, yet David Letterman STILL brings her up in almost every one of his monologues. Why does he have to keep talking about her? His humor used to be so much better, but now he's just this angry guy who picks on people and complains. I used to be such a huge fan...now I can't even sit through 5 minutes of his show.

October 6, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  14. Danny J

I just heard something go "CLUNK!" That really didn't soften the blow at all, and marginalized both his apologies. I'd hate to be his wife and kid right now

October 6, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  15. Mike

Just another sleazball. To cheat on your then-girlfriend and then marry her anyway just shows a lack of decency and character. He should run for Congress – he'd fit right in with those folks. LOSERS!

October 6, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  16. Judy

put a fork in him.

October 6, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  17. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Let's see if I understand this.

Letterman, a comedian by trade, took advantage of a real event, the pregnancy of Palin's daughter, to make a lampooning remark in which he inadvertantly referred to the wrong daughter of Palin, and that's heinous.

But, it's alright for Palin to out-and-out lie about Obama, calling him a terrorist. Also, she stated that the health care plan contained "death panels" which only proved conclusively that she hadn't read the plan (surprise!).

Did I get that right, now?!

October 6, 2009 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  18. Parnell Meagre

Sorry, David Letterman – it hurts me to say this but I never understood why you were popular in the first place – then again, I never cared for Johnny Carson either.
    What is it that you actually do that people like?

October 6, 2009 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  19. JV

I am really disappointed in Letterman. It is amazing how he can criticize other people and be just as despicable as them.

Never did like his show......now I really don't. Shame on CBS, they had to know about this too.

October 6, 2009 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  20. rudy

the truth always reveals itself.

October 6, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  21. joesalters

Letterman should be fired , he wasn't that great before this scandal & sure has lost slot of credibility now.

October 6, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  22. sally

David Letterman has proven that he is just another sleaze. His wife
    should divorce him and take him for everything he's got.

October 6, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  23. Alan

I am not even a Letterman fan, but I believe the guy is truly sorry for his behavior. For hm to even bring up the Palin affair shows that he still thinks about it.

Good going Dave, now straighten up and get on with life.

October 6, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  24. bernice

Palin would have been proud to be able to close Letterman's show down....I sure don't understand why he needed to apologize again...The sound of her name makes me sick....

October 6, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  25. Jeff

Mr. Letterman's true nature has been revealed and with the narcissism typical of an abuser attempts to defend his behavior and remarks. Somebody tried to blackmail him because he was having sex with his staff and he has the audacity to say "I still feel like I did the right thing". What a moron...

October 6, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |