October 6th, 2009

Letterman invokes Palin in apology

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/10/06/art.letterman.gi.jpg caption="Leterman is issuing another apology to Sarah Palin."]

(CNN) - As long as David Letterman is apologizing after revelations he had sexual relations with members of his staff, why not throw an extra one in to former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin?

The embattled late night comedian wrapped up his lengthy apology to his staff and family Monday night with a light-hearted reference to the public spat he and Palin had three months ago over an inappropriate joke.

"Through all of this, you have to ask yourself what really happened. And what really happened was you can't be victimized by criminals. So you have to go ahead and push back if you're being pushed by something illegal like this," Letterman told his audience Monday.

"And through all of the heartache, and the attention, and the embarrassment, I still feel like I did the right thing, and now also, because what can it hurt, once again I'd like to apologize to the former Governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin. I'm terribly, terribly sorry. So there we go," he added to cheers from the crowd.

Letterman joked in June that Palin's "daughter was knocked up by Alex Rodriguez" at a recent Yankees game, but later insisted he was referring to Palin's 18-year-old, Bristol, who gave birth to a boy in December, and not the 14-year-old Willow who actually attended the game.

Palin, John McCain's running mate in last year's presidential election, called the joke "inappropriate" and "sexually perverted," and a Palin spokeswoman said it would be wise to "keep Willow away from David Letterman."

Filed under: David Letterman • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. fred l. fraud

Dave has risen above the mess to be sincere and contrite.

The comments from Halderman's attorney regarding potential "sexual harrassment on other staff members" perpetrated by Letterman – what's the deal with this guy (Halderman's attorney)? THAT has nothing to do with this case. This attorney says Letterman is a "masterful manipulator". What does this attorney think he's doing by throwing this allegation out there. This is a case about extortion. Hey lawyer man – that ain't gonna work.

October 6, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  2. jm for sc

Letterman only owes God and his wife an apology not the public. I am tired of people expecting apologies for the sins of others while living and enjoying their own sins.

Whether it be talking about other people in a negative way, killing, stealing, jealousy, greed or having an affair, all unrightousness is sin.

He needs to move on with his public life of bring an end to the show. He did not rape anyone, so each female had the right to say no.

October 6, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  3. Melissa

I'm so sick to death of watching people kiss Republican butt. The Republicans DESERVE you making fun of them. They have brought it on themselves. No one apologized to the Democrats for anything they've done to them over the years, so you bloody people need to stop grovelling to the Republicans. The Republicans aren't in power, and they caused the worst recession since the Great Depression. Stop kissing their butt.

October 6, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  4. Phillip Bunn

I have always admired David Letterman, but now I have great respect for him. If Bill Clinton and John Edwards had Letterman's integrity both could have circumvented all the embarrasment of having an affair and lying about it. I do not, however, believe that he owes Sarah Palin an apology. In fact, I believe Sarah Palin owes the American public an apology for exploiting her family for political gain.

October 6, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  5. Buffalo

Oh, no! David Letterman was my role model. I've always had entertainers be my role models. Oh, well, I guess I'll have to find some other breed of professional to be my inspiration. But who? Maybe a politician...they never submit to sexual improprieties, do they? Or maybe a professional athlete? Minister? Banker? Lawyer?

OK, I've got it. I'll let a newborn be my roll model. All they do is cry, eat, sleep and poop. Oh, no...they poop! I guess I'll have to be the best I can be.

October 6, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  6. Kate

I am tired of Palin in the news...can she go away now and we can move on with our lives!?

October 6, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  7. Whoa, hold up...

Lets not get carried away Dave. I know you feel humble, but, you said you were sorry THEN.

Don't give the nut jobs in this country anymore ammo, for lack of a better word, to defend the digbat! Next they'll be using a clip from your show to show how even the likes of you cave to her highness.

October 6, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  8. Bob

His second apology last night was a joke. I mean he did technically apologize but it was to get a laugh. The media's interpretation of quotes by comedians are constantly skewed. I've seen it happen with Jon Stewart's quotes many times. Laugh a little, America.

October 6, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  9. Charly

How come he didn't apologize to A-Rod. Hypocrit!!

October 6, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  10. Randolph Carter, the real enemy of humanity

I'll bet you that the guy under the seats saw everything, and is the one behind all of this. He's very sneaky. Have a nice day!

October 6, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  11. jeff jackson, alabama

Same ole story with celebrities. A politician runs
    around, it's an offense worthy of resignation, public
    apology, and an end to a career.
    A celebrity does the same thing and it's not only
    a joke, it's a LEARNING experience that actually
    serves to make them better people and more embraced
    by their public. These air heads want to run the country
    and advise us on who to vote for ???

October 6, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  12. big deal

is this guy for real? no wife i know wants a nationally televised apology, actually she doesnt want a nationally televised skank of a husband in the first place. he is acting liek that dufus sanford gov guy, typical self centered lout.

on another note...

SNL should do a skit about CNN fact-checking a skit on SNL. It’d be like being between two mirrors or something....... lol hahahahahahahha

October 6, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  13. Kate

It sounds like he is making a joke at Sarah Palin's expense (ie, that one of his dalliances was with her and that the extortion plot would reveal that). Not funny. Not funny at all. And I don't even like Sarah Palin.

October 6, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  14. Scott L

He is hiding something that is going to come out in court...for someone who has never been apologetic, he is suddenly on the offensive...

October 6, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  15. ICARE

You're a creep. What a terrible role model..!

October 6, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  16. David

Way to go Letterman,everyone makes mistakes.I might just start watching his show again. He is showing some class saying this to his wife,his family,his fans,those on his staff involved,and even to former Gov Palin.

October 6, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  17. Bill C

CNN's obsession with Sarah Palin is reminiscent of stalking. Leave this lady alone.

October 6, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  18. Daniel

So this is what happens when a pathetic comedian finally burns out. Reduced to airing facts about how screwed up his personal life is just to get people to pay attention to him. Sad pathetic old man.... just stay home and enjoy your millions. Other than your looks, you've never been that funny anyway.

October 6, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  19. Paul

Great. Does anyone really care? No one has ever looked at Letterman as a moral authority and other than his occassionally good joke his mean spirited humor is stale. Letterman's ratings have spiked but in reality he is the bottom of barrel of all the late night talk shows. If they would not have moved Leno he would be toast.

October 6, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  20. Cliff

You people at CNN really do have an over fascination with Palin. This isn't newsworthy.

October 6, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  21. Claudia

It seems to me Letterman has apologized enough. He is NOT on the taxpayers payroll. I would like to hear Palin apologize for the "death panel" comment, the bridge to nowhere, the lack of her integrity, and her money grubbing antics since quiting her job for which voters entrusted her to see through. She should also apologize to her family for putting them in the spotlight when they depend on their parents to protect them (that is a basic responsibility.....most important to most parents)

Palin needs to grow up...get an education...read a couple of hundred books before writing even one. Her perspective is self indulgent and not the least bit worldly or even collective of the United States.

When will she go away!

October 6, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  22. ghost in point pleasant nj

O.K. , Apologies all around now I'm a good guy again.......This perverted imbecile is still disgusting and so are the flipper flapping seals that applaud this moron....nuff said

October 6, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  23. Ginger Snap

Dave,

One can only explain away so much!
    Find a day job!

October 6, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  24. deb

Now let's see if Sarah is gracious enough to accept his apology or if she still wants to play the victim.

October 6, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  25. Silence DoGood

So I guess it wasn't an apology was it?

October 6, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |