October 28th, 2009

Did Schwarzenegger say f**k you to legislature?

ALT TEXT

Did Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger mean to hide a message in this note?

(CNN) - Was Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's message to state lawmakers unhappy - or obscene?

That's the current debate in California after the governor sent a letter directed to "Members of the California State Assembly" that appeared to have a subtle but pointed message hidden within the text.

The seven-line note in which the California Republican blasts the legislature for not advancing his administration's proposals on a host of issues appears innocuous enough at first glance.

But upon closer examination, the first letter of every line collectively spells 'f**k you'.

A spokesman for Schwarzenegger said the governor had no intent of hiding the message within his note, calling it a mere "coincidence."

–CNN's Carey Bodenheimer contributed to this story.

1. kimberly

OMG!!! Thats AWESOME~! I am not his biggest fan, but I love it! I love that he got it in there, and that he stood his ground, and that was GENIOUS!!! Well done Gov!

October 28, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  2. anotherGDlefty

I hope he did just tell them to get bent. I wish my governor in AZ would do the same thing. The state legislators fiddle while Rome burns.

My AZ reps are more concerned about more abortion restrictions and guns in bars than actually managing the money.

Go Arnold Go !

October 28, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  3. RahmAxleRod SuperTroopers

About time he said it.

October 28, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  4. Perusing-through

SMOOTH MOVE ARNOLD 🙂

It is time more governors and national leaders "call out" some of these legislative politicians that are hiding in anonymity. Many state and federal legislatures are primarily focused on getting re-elected and collecting corporate lobbyist paychecks instead doing the things that "We The People" elected them to do.

Bravo, Gov. Schwarzenegger! Bravo!

October 28, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  5. Ed Tallahassee

This isn't a coincidence. They did a good job of making it look like a coincidence, but there is an Aide somewhere who was laughing the behind off when they wrote this, and put it forward to be sent-out.

October 28, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  6. las

Honestly! Have we nothing better to do with our time than look for things to stir up controversy? Besides, someone should say that to the California Legislature; they all should have been recalled instead of Gray Davis.

October 28, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  7. lola

Well it certainly is curious. I just wish I was as clever.

October 28, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  8. Gene

I doubt that Arnold would've sent a message like that to the state assembly on purpose. Now if it read "I'll be back", then I would consider it more likely 🙂

October 28, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  9. Arnold_Got_Balls

That was BRILLIANT!

October 28, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  10. Jeff

Wow! At first I had thought CNN had reached a new low in attention-grabbing headlines, but this is hilarious! It must be a coincidence.

October 28, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  11. Rick in L.A.

As others may have noted, not only is Arnie probably not that smart, most of us here in the Golden State are still waiting for him to properly pronounce "Kall-e-forn-ya". Not likely to happen anytime soon.

October 28, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  12. Kylar

I think it says a lot about the state of American democracy and the media that when a governor goes to extreme and unusual lengths to highlight major structural problems faced by his state, what gets covered are not those issues, but a possible juvenile message that may or may not have been encoded in the first letters of every line. It's no wonder California and America are falling apart around us; our policy makers and media moguls never matured past the third grade!

October 28, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  13. Michael

Assuming that was in fact the governor's intent and I doubt it was, so what? Look, the California legislature is an inept and overly partisan body deserving of such treatment. No state has bigger problems but the legislature is not interested in action just symbolism

October 28, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  14. Randolph Carter, I'm no cryptographer but....

Hahahahaha! That's absolutely brilliant. Good for you, governator! Well played. Have a nice day!

October 28, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  15. vince

Sounds like he was sending the right message.

October 28, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  16. Tina, NC

Oh come on. This is stupid. I doubt, very seriously, this was done intentionally.

October 28, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  17. Jim

This is great....an appropriate way to end the legislative session, considering what went on in the spring & summer

October 28, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  18. Stacie

That is hilarious! If the Governor is smart enough to pull this off, I applaud him. Now go play all your old albums backwards and listen for hidden messages.

October 28, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  19. Republicans are the American Taliban

So the answer to your profane headline CNN is....no he did not.

October 28, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  20. Avg Joe

Coincidence.....? Yeah, right.
    Very funny, though.

October 28, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  21. LIP

Finally it is apparent that CNN's imagination is working overtime and needs a rest.
    Your constant piling on Palin has taken it's toll and you are simply worn out and need to take a break.
    Now, did I intentionally spell F...Y in my note...yes I did, but just because Arnold is a Republican does not mean that CNN needs to take cheap shots at him like you do to all the other Republicans

October 28, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  22. Derek (Sacramento, CA)

Although I consider "The Governator" to be a buffoon, I think the California State Legislature to be the biggest group of thieves and idiots I've ever seen. I do however, agree with his letter. Far too many important issues have been ignored, month after month, while our elected officials gorge on their pay, benefits and campaign contributions. Then, when they feel motivated, they work "tirelessly" on some bone-headed and useless legislation that could have waited a few years. Meanwhile, California has turned into the cesspool of the lower 48, and gets worse by the day.

As far as I'm concerned, the "hidden message" probably was intentional, and highly unlikely to be a coincidence. For this, I give immense kudos to Schwarzenegger; I don't respect him, but dang it–you gotta admit this is funny!

October 28, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  23. Anonymous

Not relevent to me

October 28, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  24. Janet

I hope he did. As a Californian and an American, I'm tired of things not getting done because of political bickering.
    If you're not going to do the hard work and make the hard decisions – dear Legislators at every level of govt – get out of the way!

October 28, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  25. phx1969

Intentional?? I think so. Who would use the phrase "kick the can down the alley"?

October 28, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |