October 28th, 2009

Did Schwarzenegger say f**k you to legislature?

ALT TEXT

Did Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger mean to hide a message in this note?

(CNN) - Was Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's message to state lawmakers unhappy - or obscene?

That's the current debate in California after the governor sent a letter directed to "Members of the California State Assembly" that appeared to have a subtle but pointed message hidden within the text.

The seven-line note in which the California Republican blasts the legislature for not advancing his administration's proposals on a host of issues appears innocuous enough at first glance.

But upon closer examination, the first letter of every line collectively spells 'f**k you'.

A spokesman for Schwarzenegger said the governor had no intent of hiding the message within his note, calling it a mere "coincidence."

–CNN's Carey Bodenheimer contributed to this story.

1. CAT JR

If he didn't, he should have.

October 28, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  2. michele

Surely, you don't think he's intelligent enough to pull that one off! It had to be someone on his staff who told the speechwriter to do it, or it's an incredible coinsidence.

October 28, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  3. chelle

That is just hilarious – accidental or deliberate. I think the major problem with politics today is that the goal is to be ELECTED not to SERVE!!!! Politicians spend their days plotting their re-elections. It is worse in the US where political campaigns go on for years not just a few weeks. Being elected is the sole goal for so many legislators – and that is just sad and pathetic.

October 28, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  4. Michael Chefalo

At least he has a sense of humor!

October 28, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  5. Chris

I think it was deliberate. "Kick the can" isn't an expression that the governor would ordinarily use, and there's no reason to say that Californians "overwhelmingly" deserve anything. I've been listening to Arnold talk for a few years now, and I think this was done on purpose.

October 28, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  6. Chas

Shades of West Wing!

I'll bet most anything it went something like this:
    A speechwriter or two was having a little. This was merely a draft that was written for laughs and was never to see the light of day. (Sometimes you just have to have a little fun with it or you'll lose your mind!) Not meant to offend or hurt, just a little fun, maybe to take the edge off of a bad day.

But somebody goofed and this draft got out into the wild in all the paperwork shuffle that is any government.

I just hope no one loses their job over it and we all move on.

October 28, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  7. Just My Opinion in Texas

Accident or no ... it is a WONDERFUL bit of political humor!!

Bravo!

October 28, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  8. Mike in Oahu

It gets to the point, I'll give him that.

October 28, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  9. DJ

Freudian slip? My poor state of CA is a train wreck right now. Hopefully Gov. Jerry Brown back at the helm can turn back the clock to better days again.

October 28, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  10. Mike Syracuse, NY

I doubt if Arnold is that clever, but if he is, BRAVO!

October 28, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  11. Thomas

Uh the first letter of each line spells

TIFU**YOUSA

If you are going to look at the first letters you have to look at them all.

Some people are just looking for stuff

October 28, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  12. Will

He either got a good laugh with his writers as he was crafting this or he's getting a good laugh now wishing he would have thought of it ahead of time. Either way...funny. Perhaps Leno will actually have something funny to talk about unlike the last four weeks of his failing show.

October 28, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  13. David In West Virginia

Sounds like a scene right of the Republicans playbook in Congress! It's a shame, but it's a gottchu political world these days. The politicans have forgotten about their citizens and have become corrupt, accusing one side and the other of being on the wrong side.

I remember Gov. Scwharzenegger calling the democratic legislation girlie boys. Not a good tone for a working relationship, to me. While the claim is that liberals are bankrupting California, the Liberals think the Republicans bankrupted America! GO FIGURE!

October 28, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  14. Joe

Ok. This is just ridiculous. Maybe if we rearrage the letters we can find a threat or a prediction of who will win the World Series in 2011? I mean come on! This is ridiculous scrutinizing of something that does not deserve this much attention!

October 28, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  15. Nathan,

Finding common ground on this bill would have made it
    unncessary for the governor to send it back, He probably told them he
    couldn't sign the bill as is which should have made those
    knuckeheads send a better one.

Yearning to prove they had more clout than the governor the duty was
    On them to prove that they were right.
    Unfortunately they were not up to the task.

October 28, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  16. Randy, San Francisco

Not surprising. Frustration is at an all time high. Calfiornia state government is dysfunctional resulting in a gridlock on all important issues. Advice to other states: Do not impose term limits. Do not impose a requirement of 2/3 vote to pass the budget or raise taxes.

October 28, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  17. dennisk

Yes it was intentional, yes it's the only thing Schwarzenegger's ever done that I liked (well, this and "True Lies"), and yes he's still a douche nozzle.

October 28, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  18. Mike L Ct

I hope that it was intentional by the Govenator. It would restore my confidence in at least 1 politician in this country! Between politicians and the 'political correctness' group, nothing of significance is getting done except the complete destruction of the middle class and the obliteration of America's values including its language. Will somebody do something before we complete our transformation to the next third world country! Most of us are too busy working 2 jobs to keep up with the rising costs of everything but our wages to mount much of a battle.
    By the way...I'm a democrat but the way those fools are handling things, we'd have been better off electing a bunch of racoons to office.

October 28, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  19. Marc

lmao. thats great

October 28, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  20. Nini

I love it. Goooooood for him.

October 28, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  21. bam

It would be nice to know what Assembly Bill 1176 contains, but that would mean substantive reporting was involved.

October 28, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  22. Gerry

If Arnie was really clever enough to do this and get it past his own political censors, then I say more power to him. Ha Ha

October 28, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  23. Fred G Duncan

I am pretty sure that the Governator has people that write his letters, speeches, and other adresses for him. So I think this was intentional but he didn't write it.

He should have proof-read. GET TO THA CHOPPA!

October 28, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  24. Ted

That ain't no coincidence, and I'm glad! Two points for the governator!

October 28, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  25. Don Shapley

Do legislators and media have nothing better to do. I think this proves what the Governor is saying. I'm from Kansas, not California, but this is stupidity.

October 28, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |