October 30th, 2009

Lieberman will campaign for Republicans in 2010

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/12/art.getty.lieberman.jpg caption="Lieberman says he will campaign for Republicans in 2010."](CNN) - Days after drawing anger from liberal Democrats for opposing a public option to the Senate health care bill, Sen. Joe Lieberman is adding fuel to the fire, telling an interviewer it's likely he'll campaign for some Republicans in next year's midterm elections.

"I probably will support some Republican candidates for Congress or Senate in the election in 2010. I'm going to call them as I see them," Lieberman told ABC News in an interview published Friday.

Supporting Republicans is nothing new for Lieberman of course: the Democrat-turned-independent senator from Connecticut was a constant fixture on campaign trail on behalf of Republican John McCain's presidential bid.

He also supported Maine Sen. Susan Collins and New York Rep. Peter King last year over the Democratic Party candidates in those races.

Senate Democrats had threatened to revoke Lieberman's powerful Homeland Security Committee chairmanship after the 2008, election but ultimately decided to let him retain the post.

Lieberman, who lost a Democratic primary race in 2006 but ultimately won the general election as an independent candidate, also told ABC it is "an open question" whether he will again seek the Democratic nomination in 2012.

Filed under: Joe Lieberman
  1. proud conservative

Thanks Joe, you are a credit to Democrats!

October 30, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  2. Jessica

Does this really surprise anyone? Not news worthy. What is however, is that fact that Lieberman and his counterparts still oppose a public option. We as a country need to quit fighting this as if it is a political issue split by party lines. It is a moral issue. I'm an American living in Canada, and trust me the public option works. It's not a discourse between government and my doctor, rather it allows me to be part of the discussion. Whereas, in the U.S. the insurance companies hold all the string. BTW, I also used to work for the insurance industry, so I know first hand how the process for them to gain capital and you to lose everything works. My check grew the more claims I denied. I couldn't sleep knowing that I was the reason people couldn't receive the treatment they needed. Can you???

October 30, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  3. TLD

The Republican Party is a disgrace and an abomination. There is something putrid about these guys and gals. The Republican Parties of past decades did not make me want to shower after I hear or see them speak on issues. I think it may have started with the Newt Gingrich Crew a few years back.

October 30, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  4. Librarian

What a surprise ! Holier-than-thou Trader Joe is at it again. Strip that rodent of the Senate of his Chairmanship !

October 30, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  5. VON BISMARK -Vienna

This is the real Judas James Carville was refering to last year.He is not only betraying the DNC but also the American people for thirty pieces of insurance companies' $$$$$$$$!

PATHETIC!

October 30, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  6. Ex-Republican

Liberman is a turn-coat dirtbag. He casts himself as a Democrat, but is really a republican. Does anyone know who he really stands for? How could the Connecticut people be so dumb to elect this guy? He hurts our People...our Families..our COUNTRY!

October 30, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  7. Tony

Get this idiot out ,put him in the bottom and take away his chairmanship, he is also one of GOP warmonger, never think about average American. He is also in the pocket of insurance co.

October 30, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  8. Clinton G Scruggs

Why don't you just let Lieberman go on with the Republicans. He's a person we don't need in our party. He is not a Democrat. Why do we keep acting like he is. It's something wrong with our party when he tells you he is not going to to vote for our causes and we give him a Top Job in our party. I say just let him go. Are we afraid to push back on him?

October 30, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  9. Bubble of Sanity

Wow! A man who actually addresses issues and character instead of brainlessly towing a "party line!" How refreshing! I wish that a huge chunk of congress - both Democrats and Republicans - would declare themselves "independents" and quit voting like partisan zombies. I'm so tired of seeing some bill voted on with a strict party line. I know the people they represent are not that monolithic.

Leiberman: may his tribe increase. We don't need so-called "Mavericks" or "Blue Dogs." We need Independents who listen to the people who hired them by voting for them.

October 30, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  10. gil martin

giving the GOPig new meaning

October 30, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  11. trish

Who cares?Another over the hill white guy with signs of early alsheimers wanting to rule the world.Get in line.

October 30, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  12. juice

this guy really schukered the democrats into allowing him to keep his chairmanship. If I were them, i would not allow him the caucus with the democrates because all he's going to do is go back and tell the repubs whats being said. Good by and good ridence to Joe.

October 30, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  13. Tony

Leiberman doesn't owe the Democrats anything. They've done nothing but treat him like crap. If I were him, I'd support whoever the hell I wanted even if they were a Republican.

October 30, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  14. independent

He is not going to win another election. Betraying a party is one thing, the voters can give you another chance. Betraying the voters is another. He's gone now.

October 30, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  15. Matt

OK, Senator Reid. it's time to strip this guy of his chairmanships and let him go. He is obviously unreliable.

October 30, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  16. Kick Lieberman out

democrats should get rid of this moron asap. don't understand why obama let democrats let lieberman back on the committee.

October 30, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  17. Peace

Joe Lieberman is like the bad marriage. It reaches the time when one decides to let it go. Now its time to let Lieberman go!

October 30, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  18. Economist

This guy doesn't have one single issue that he actually supports. Moderates have views that cross the political spectrum, but Mr. Lieberman just decides whatever issue will get the most leverage from the Democratic leadership. He won't prevent Republican filibusters, so just take his chairmanship away and put someone there who will do the job right.

October 30, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  19. Sam

How can Harry Reid allow Lieberman to keep his charmain position of the Homeland Security while he campaigns against the part he caucuses with?

October 30, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  20. Pat - Overland Park, KS

Isn' t that what being independent is all about. Supporting the people you think is best for the job and to be non-partisan.

In my opinion he has not supported the right people for the right reasons.

If he supports the person for the correct position in a political sense then it is okay to support whomever he wants. If he is just doing it to get press then it is for the wrong reasons.

October 30, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  21. Ralph R. Garcia

This turkey should lose his seniority and get the boot from the democrats.

October 30, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  22. Marie in California

You go, Joe! You are what I like to see.......a TRUE Independent who is not a "party animal"....one who doesn't tap dance to whatever tune the DNC or GOP happens to be playing.

We need more such independent Independents in politics....people who have a good moral compass, are in touch with the wants and needs of their constituents, and refuse to blindly follow whatever path either party demands.

Yeah, I know. They are not good "team players." That's what the word "independent " means. And that's a good thing in a country that was founded and grew to greatness on independent and individual effort and creativity.

Soooo....you go, Joe!

October 30, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  23. duffey

I hope the good people of Connecticut dump this Senator. He is not independent nor is he reaching across the aisle, in an effort to be non partisin. He is now part of the party of "No"

October 30, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  24. GOPer

Lieberman can sadly make his own choices to side with greedy corporate interests over the American people but if he does, strip him of his undeserving chairmanship with other knuckle-draggers.

It would be a simple consequence for poor representation. Grow a set.

If Lieberman cannot represent the majority of good people in CT who support the public option, put his sorry excuses for insurance greed with other GOPers, where it belongs.

Americans deserve better accountability from our leaders.

October 30, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  25. Barbara Independent in NY

I really feel that he is not doing the job that the people of Connecticut elected him to do. Anytime that you side with the other party you are letting your voters down. He truly is the # 1 traitor in Congress.

October 30, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |