November 12th, 2009

John King to replace Lou Dobbs

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

Washington (CNN) – Heading into the critical 2010 midterm elections, CNN will launch a new weekday political program that will be hosted by award winning correspondent John King.

"I'm thrilled to have the opportunity, at this busy and consequential time, to have a platform to discuss and explore the big issues of our time," King, chief national correspondent and anchor of the network's Sunday program "State of the Union," said in a statement released Thursday by CNN.

Early next year, King will move into the 7 p.m. ET time slot that was previously held by longtime CNN anchor Lou Dobbs, who announced Wednesday that he was leaving the network.

"The program will reflect what CNN is all about: straight facts from our anchors and the widest range of opinions from across the political spectrum," Jonathan Klein, president of CNN/U.S., said in the network's statement. "John has enthralled CNN viewers with his vast political knowledge, and he has spent the past year reporting from beyond the Beltway on pressing policy issues and the real people they impact. Every night, he'll share his passion and his insights about what is really going on in Washington and across America."

CNN did not announce the name of King's new program and in the statement said he would "continue to anchor 'State of the Union' until early next year."

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: CNN • John King • Popular Posts
  1. zazzle.com/TheProgram

really? he's fine i guess, but couldn't they get someone a bit more engaging? he's almost as dry as Wolf.

November 12, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  2. Fair is Fair

Oh man... this is going to make more frothing-at-the-mouth liberal heads explode than a Sarah Palin article.

EXCELLENT! Great job, CNN! You've made my day!

November 12, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  3. Wolfe

It was way past time for Lou to go,

November 12, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  4. Emma

I quit watching Lou Dobbs more than one year ago when I realized he was inflammatory in his criticisms of many issues. I wondered if that was what CNN wanted him to do and I questioned CNN's ethics.

John King is less offensive, but seems to be a right wing advocate.

November 12, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  5. Marilyn

I hate it that Lou Dobbs is leaving CNN. He was the only independent voice on TV in the evenings. I guess I have no reason to watch CNN at all anymore. They have become almost as bad as MSNBC in bowing to the left wing of the democratic party. I guess I'll just confine my evening viewing to Food Network and HGTV.

November 12, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  6. Pragmatic

If I want to watch Lou Dobbs, I'll tune in to Fox News ... he will probably be there by the middle of next week and fit in just fine.

November 12, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  7. katiec

Straight facts from CNN anchors is a thing of the past.
    They force the Palins, Cheneys, Roves and any irresponsible
    republican they can find down our throats, gushing over and supporting their lies, distortions, sewer tactics. No fact checks,
    no negativity unless of course it is a Democrat.
    CNN hides behind "trust" while fully spewing their bias.
    Even our Jack has joined the ranks of those who have no integrity,
    honor, only supporting their big business, republican agenda.

November 12, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  8. Peter s

Bravo that angry old man is gone!. He is free to go and join fox oops fix news or the tea party movement. Thanks CNN for realizing that, lou dobbs have become a liability to your organization.

November 12, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  9. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Lou Dobbs never changed his subject matter and always took on the negativity of every subject matter, I never heard him say anything positive about anything. Lou Dobbs was like he was locked in some kind of box and couldn't get outside the box. I love CNN and glad Lou Dobbs did the right thing and moved on, King is interesting.

November 12, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  10. Jose in TX

I'm sorry to see Lou Dobbs leave since I really liked his show. Lou calls it right down the middle. A lot of liberals really liked him and didn't complain much when he was constantly criticizing the Bush administration. Now that he's criticizing Obama, he makes those same liberals squirm, including the faithful liberals at CNN.
    Best of Luck Lou! You'll be missed.....

November 12, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  11. Roger Cyr

Tremendous news to hear that Dobbs is leaving your network. I would imagine he will be working at Fox or for Limbaugh. Whatever now I will start watching CNN again. Roger

November 12, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  12. felicia

John king is just another right-wing nut

November 12, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  13. Jim Palmer

Very good choice! John King will be great at 7pm.

I will start watching again.

I had gotten tired of Lou being negative on everything.

November 12, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  14. yuri

Goodness gracious! Lou Dobbs sounded like a man w/ a wry smiling facade, hiding a lot of ire in his heart. he did exhibit his duugeon in a lot of different ways, particularlty on matters of immigration.

JK, on the other hand, presents a serene and sedate demeanor, and does not bat an eye lid easily. Kudos to King.

November 12, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  15. bobby

oh great. just another low ratings show by CNN. Looking forward to it.

November 12, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  16. Lynne

Big mistake to pick such a boring, Republican slanted anchor. CNN's ratings are sinking and this will continue until they stop with the nonstop politics and start delivering the NEWS.

November 12, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  17. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

John King is further too the right than Lou Dobbs is. They should give the slot to Soledad O'brien.

November 12, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  18. jsmith

Ok Im just guessing here, more all Liberal opnions and Kool Aid drinking Obama is perfect and Bush did it opinions. Thats why CNN has such bad ratings and probably will not get much better. The facts are there CNN, and people need you to report them without spin to one side.

November 12, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  19. victim of republican greed

It has to be hard for a news organization who uses fact checking to compete with Fox. For the average American, it is more fun to watch a network where the entertainers are never worried about facts, and the more bizarre the story, the better.

November 12, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  20. precious

Oh Well. Lou Dobbs was my favorite host. Now I will have to cling solely to Fox. I loved Lou Dobbs because he was an "Independent" who wasn't afraid to speak the "mind/truth".

Goodbye CNN.

November 12, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  21. Marian E. Paul

I'm glad to see the back of Lou Dobbs...in the end he had become a poseur, with an inflated view of his own worth. Did you ever realize that he posed himself so he was looking up at the camera...kind of from under his eyebrows. I guess he thought this showed him to his best advantage. He was way to opinionated for me...and Campbell Brown is starting to go that way, too.

November 12, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  22. strong

Poor Lou Dobbs who got smeared for telling the truth. Feisty and honest, that was Lou.

Enter John King. He is a good boy who will do as he's told, he's a boring talking head.

November 12, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  23. Eric

King is very objective and a perfect fit, it will be nice to see real news coverage in that time slot instead of slanted opinions.

November 12, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  24. mary mtl can

not him again

November 12, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  25. Andrew

I like John King. I find he presents the news as news with very little spin. I look forward to watch CNN at 7 now.

November 12, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |