November 12th, 2009

John King to replace Lou Dobbs

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

Washington (CNN) – Heading into the critical 2010 midterm elections, CNN will launch a new weekday political program that will be hosted by award winning correspondent John King.

"I'm thrilled to have the opportunity, at this busy and consequential time, to have a platform to discuss and explore the big issues of our time," King, chief national correspondent and anchor of the network's Sunday program "State of the Union," said in a statement released Thursday by CNN.

Early next year, King will move into the 7 p.m. ET time slot that was previously held by longtime CNN anchor Lou Dobbs, who announced Wednesday that he was leaving the network.

"The program will reflect what CNN is all about: straight facts from our anchors and the widest range of opinions from across the political spectrum," Jonathan Klein, president of CNN/U.S., said in the network's statement. "John has enthralled CNN viewers with his vast political knowledge, and he has spent the past year reporting from beyond the Beltway on pressing policy issues and the real people they impact. Every night, he'll share his passion and his insights about what is really going on in Washington and across America."

CNN did not announce the name of King's new program and in the statement said he would "continue to anchor 'State of the Union' until early next year."

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: CNN • John King • Popular Posts
  1. Nesa from Floirda

Congratulations CNN! I admire John King for his reporting style. It is not biased and he ist not self opinionated in his reporting, unlike Campbell Brown, who should be replaced with Anderson Cooper. Good reporting is based on what the issues represent and not what the reporter thinks. It should also include the opinions of the people involved in the issues and not the 'big heads' that you put on your panels. What I also admire about John King is his sense of getting to the heart of the issues without actually sounding accusatory about the persons involved in the issues. He is also good to look at and his voice is very soothing.
    Good riddance to that rude, independent racist Lou Dobbs! His reporting style belongs to Fox News. I never look at his shows.

November 12, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  2. t h beyer

Best wishes to Mr. King and good riddance to Mr. Dobbs! Dobbs'
    overly simplistic views of complicated issues have been a continual
    tdisservice to your viewers. He has done his part to misinform,
    the result of his annoyingly lightweight journalistic skills.

November 12, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  3. NGANGA

Another right wing 'birther-lite' to succed the hate-monger

November 12, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  4. A. Goodwin

Awesome. Lou Dobbs was so annoying to watch!

November 12, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  5. dogmom

this is the best news for us viewers –
    getting rid of dobbs will give us straight news/facts on EVERY show –
    no more 'my way or get out of the way' news from dobbs –
    love john king & all of your anchors –

November 12, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  6. Richard Young

BIG MISTAKE CNN – Letting Lou Dobbs get away..........if that was even really what happened! Lou Dobbs was the ONE program that drew Conseratives to CNN . I know of no conservative who ever considered CNN as a Fair and Balanced News source. No one. But some of us had hope.

I looked forward to Lou's commentary each night and will follow him to whichever venue he goes in the future. His insight and reporting was a very pleasant change from the usual crap by Wolf Blitzer and his screeming side kick liberal Jack.

You have joined NBC and CBS in a rush to maintain full Liberal Viewpoints. You have written off BALANCE! You have written off half of the voters in the United States! .............and now we have written you off.

November 12, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  7. Want Real News

Great choice! Welcome to you, John King, a great news professional. Now I will have something to watch when MSNBC repeats Hardball at 4 pm Pacific time.
    Glad to see the sneering Dobbs leave. He intimidated everyone, even CNN's news correspondents when they reported on his show. It was embarrassing and sickening to watch.

November 12, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  8. Shovel

Thank G@d.

I saw Lou Dobbs sign off the other day and it was a five minute infomercial for his other various blowhard outlets "Check me out on the Lou Dobbs radio show, check me out online at Lou Dobbsblowhard.com, check out my book, 'Lou Dobbs on Lou Dobbs"

I found myself thinking, "Am I watching Fox NOT News?"

Good riddance Lou Dobbs. You once were respectable before you decided your opinion was more important than JUST THE FACTS.

John King will be a welcome relief.

November 12, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  9. Ed

It will be great to finally get back to real news. Been waiting for a long time for you to get rid of Dobbs. His insincere ranting was intended to only sell books. 2-1 he ends up on Fox.
    John King is a wonderful replacement!

November 12, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  10. Jeff

I like Lou Dobbs more than I did before. By the way. Is there anyway you could keep that idiot Keith Olberman off of Football Night in America. Its bad enough he ruins alot of other hours on TV each week. I wish he wasnt ruining Sunday Night Football too. I dont think he could be a bigger communist if he worked at it. He clearly hates America and Americans unless they are as left as he is which is almost no one.

November 12, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  11. Pat

CNN attempting to silence an independent conservative voice before elections.

November 12, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  12. David

Good for you John! State of the Union is a great show, and it'll be great to come home from work and have something on CNN that I can stand to watch at 6:00PM Central. Contrats!

November 12, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  13. John

Finally, after all those years of spewing that Mr. Independent crap, he takes a hike. THANK YOU. It's about time. AMEN. SAYONARA.

November 12, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  14. Sara

He was the only reason I watched CNN. The other shows are to liberal minded.

November 12, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  15. jk from Ohio

Thank God Lou is finally gone!

November 12, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  16. RB

Excellent choice.

November 12, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  17. Bev

Love John King, is a straight shooter and does not let anybody get away with fact distortions. Actually allow his guests to respond, unlike Dobbs. Thank goodness he's history. CNN, you just may have won back a viewer and some of my friends. Now just get rid of Campbell Brown.

November 12, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  18. Kris

ANOTHER white male?? & one with 2 shows now?? PLEASE CNN!! I'm sure you can find another anchor... Kitty Pilgrim, Soledad O'Brien, Candy Crowley, maybe even James Carville & Mary Matalin together.
    What about Lisa Sylvester??
    Let's mix it up!

November 12, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  19. Republican'ts are so YESTERDAY

Thankfully Dobbs if finally gone from CNN. Now he can move on . . . maybe he can be the new head of the Birther-Tea-Bagger Party!

November 12, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  20. Melinda

John King sucks, he is way to liberal and stupid. His show will crash and CNN rating will get even worse.

November 12, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  21. LAVERNE

This is a welcome change. I stopped watching Lou Dobbs after he began to display such horrible disdain for the Obama administration. The President seemed to do nothing right according to Mr. Dobbs. He was rude to any of his guest who voiced a different opinion and it wasn't pretty or professional. I started to see him as a little dictator who would not hesitate to drop the hammer on all who disagreed with him. John King will be a perfect fit to replace him. He is a professional journalist who knows the difference between fact and opinion. John has the demeanor to be professional, articulate, and respectful of guests. It was clear that Lou had become much too comfortable with the power he thought he had with viewers. I'm sure there are many others who share my opinion. I will go back to watching CNN during that hour. Thanks CNN for FINALLY waking up.

November 12, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  22. Pat in Omaha

I'm so glad Dobbs is leaving (I stopped watching him...he's usually just complaining and being negative) and very glad that John King will have
    a chance to create something new and informative.

November 12, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  23. Judi

I think John King is an excellent choice for a new program on CNN. Although we have watched Lou Dobbs for years and always enjoyed him and found his insightful comments educational, over the past few years his tone has become too strident and has made me uncomfortable – it is similar to listening to an angry man. Fortunately he is NOT Glenn or Rush, but I have not liked the change in tone.

We wish him well in his new endeavors and there is a place for his opinions, but I don't believe CNN and he were going in the same direction.

November 12, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  24. JS

Dobbs is a pathetic conservative blowhard anyway... CNN LOST credibility by having him on.

November 12, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  25. Marilyn Rice

I plan to watch this new show. King has always impressed me as informed & objective. Dobbs was getting harder & harder to watch with his constant immigrant bashing & negativity. Hardly ever a postitive story. I'm an independent voter but have voted mostly Republican through the years.

November 12, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |