November 12th, 2009

John King to replace Lou Dobbs

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

Washington (CNN) – Heading into the critical 2010 midterm elections, CNN will launch a new weekday political program that will be hosted by award winning correspondent John King.

"I'm thrilled to have the opportunity, at this busy and consequential time, to have a platform to discuss and explore the big issues of our time," King, chief national correspondent and anchor of the network's Sunday program "State of the Union," said in a statement released Thursday by CNN.

Early next year, King will move into the 7 p.m. ET time slot that was previously held by longtime CNN anchor Lou Dobbs, who announced Wednesday that he was leaving the network.

"The program will reflect what CNN is all about: straight facts from our anchors and the widest range of opinions from across the political spectrum," Jonathan Klein, president of CNN/U.S., said in the network's statement. "John has enthralled CNN viewers with his vast political knowledge, and he has spent the past year reporting from beyond the Beltway on pressing policy issues and the real people they impact. Every night, he'll share his passion and his insights about what is really going on in Washington and across America."

CNN did not announce the name of King's new program and in the statement said he would "continue to anchor 'State of the Union' until early next year."

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: CNN • John King • Popular Posts
  1. Sarah Ferguson

Thank God Dobbs is outta there! John King will be a great improvement.

November 12, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  2. nebraska blue

Any bets Lou signs on with Fox news???

November 12, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  3. Santha Suppiah Miles

Congratulations to Mr. John King. I've always admired his reporting. Poor Lou is probably heading to FOX like Glen Beck.

Lou Dobbs is a fine anchor until Obama took office. Saw another side to Lou. He is probably heading to FOX NEWS like Glen Beck.

November 12, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  4. Lyle

Excellent choice! Through his ability and integrity John King has earned a following throughout the world. John offers a much needed change at CNN. I think many of us had become somewhat disenchanted with Lou's bitterness and rantings of nonsense.

November 12, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  5. JoAnn Hansen

It's about time he retired his hate-filled commentary. But he'll probably just hike on over to FOX NEWS where he'll fit in better.

November 12, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  6. johnrj08

Based on his interview selections and overall reporting, I would say that replacing Lou Dobbs with John King is a lateral move for CNN. Too much slanted analysis and not enough reporting of facts. Too many pundits who are clearly driven more by ideology than by facts.

During the entire health care reform debacle, CNN has abdicated its role as credible and useful news source by neglecting to give adequate coverage to the actual content of the bills and paying far too much attention to the more sensational and factually devoid aspects of this process.

Too much analysis and not enough news make for a stupid, uninformed, easily manipulated electorate. That should be CNN's new motto.

Disgraceful.

November 12, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  7. Mike in LR

I'm always amused at the lefties when they talk about guns and conservatives. Here we have a conservative thinking guy on a liberal TV network whose family is attacked by a gunman. I can never understand why libs can't accept there are extremes in both camps.

November 12, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  8. kc

King is the best anchor to fill the slot. CNN now has the best line-up ever for the primetime. Wolf, John, Campbell 'No Bull" Brown, LKL, and the topped by my fav AC360.
    Congrats J. KIng and Way to Go CNN.

November 12, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  9. John Lubeck

Lou Dobbs like all Republicans is utterly lacking in the slightest common sense. ignores any and all factual information and is basically ignorant. Good riddance.

November 12, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  10. wendy madison

thank God, this is a move that's way OVERDUE..........

November 12, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  11. Jo

Can Roland Martin have a show?? Love Roland... Would bring a different dynamic /perspective...

November 12, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  12. dane

It's about time u guys got rid of that racist. Very gud move. Much love and respect to Mr. King. Wish him all the best.

November 12, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  13. Myra Naylor

CNN finally ran off the only broadcaster worth listening to. Guess I won't be tuning in any longer.

November 12, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  14. Mel Bailey

Glad to see "Mr. Independent" go, because he leans to one side too heavily.

November 12, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  15. ISAYS

Nice guy, really like him. But with Lou leaving CNN I guess I'll never see the show, no reason now. Too bad. Good luck John. Keep your eyes open, maybe you can connect with a 'real' News Organization soon....

November 12, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  16. Ironic Mike

I heard, and then read, that Lou Dobbs was leaving CNN.

I had two thoughts:
    1: Is Lou heading for Fox News? It seems that's where CNN talent go to perform serious Ratings.
    2: Is Wolf Blitzer next to leave? If so where is Fox going to put him?

Attention Captain Ted Turner: That iceberg you his in the American Public tiring of the S.S. Turner almost always steering to the Port: AKA: Left. Your best talent is heading for the lifeboats about as fast as they can.

November 12, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  17. Bob Booth

Great news all around! John King is a stellar news person and will bring back cred to the slot. In my opinion Lou Dobbs should have been sacked months ago. His overly biased opinions were and demenor not in keeping with CNN's reporting. Likely he will turn up on FOX which seems to be the resting place for right wing activists! Or maybe head up the Republican party as their next Sarah Palin look alike.

November 12, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  18. Ludmila

ne is a boring guy... nothing to compare to Lou Dobbs.

November 12, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  19. Audrey Fryer

Wow – I thought it was great news when I heard Dobbs was leaving but was I ever dissappointed when you announced his replacement. I haven't watched your Sundary morning shows since you have had King on – you aren't leaving many options open for watching CNN.

November 12, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  20. Dan O'Connell

Great Choice! Good move CNN.

November 12, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  21. kate

Thanks to CNC for dumping Dobbs and going with someone with some credibility . I am sure we will be seeing Dobbs right up there next to Beck on Fox News.

November 12, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  22. JaniceK

John King can never replace Lou. Now that Lou has left there is no need for me to watch CNN any more. CNN has simply gotten too left wing with Blitzer and Jack Cafferty.

November 12, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  23. Gary

I'm guessing Lou Dobbs is heading right to Fox, which is where he should have been the past few years. He claims to be a populist, Independent, but he clearly has moderate, at least, to strong right-leaning values and beliefs. I never heard him be so critical of the government when the Republicans and George Bush were screwing up the country, unless it had to do with illegal immigration, which is his pet project, and which he believed Bush was too soft on.

November 12, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  24. Trish Smith

I am sorry to see Lou Dobbs leave CNN. I have watched his program for many years. My political tendencies tend to be liberal and there were times that I might have disagreed with Mr. Dobbs, but I never felt that his opinions were that radical. There were numerous times he was right on the money. I felt that he had researched his information and knew what he was talking about. I know there were people that came on his show that could not agree with his interpretations and wanted him gone from the show. Well, it looks like they won the battle. God forbid we can't all be in lock step with each other. It is too bad that when someone doesn't have the same beliefs or opinions then by all means get rid of them instead of trying to understand another point of view. I always had a hard time trying to watch both Lou or Hardball. Now, I won't have that problem anymore!

November 12, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  25. Kevin

Yes. Sanity returns to CNN. John is balanced, even and probing.

November 12, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |