November 12th, 2009

John King to replace Lou Dobbs

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

Washington (CNN) – Heading into the critical 2010 midterm elections, CNN will launch a new weekday political program that will be hosted by award winning correspondent John King.

"I'm thrilled to have the opportunity, at this busy and consequential time, to have a platform to discuss and explore the big issues of our time," King, chief national correspondent and anchor of the network's Sunday program "State of the Union," said in a statement released Thursday by CNN.

Early next year, King will move into the 7 p.m. ET time slot that was previously held by longtime CNN anchor Lou Dobbs, who announced Wednesday that he was leaving the network.

"The program will reflect what CNN is all about: straight facts from our anchors and the widest range of opinions from across the political spectrum," Jonathan Klein, president of CNN/U.S., said in the network's statement. "John has enthralled CNN viewers with his vast political knowledge, and he has spent the past year reporting from beyond the Beltway on pressing policy issues and the real people they impact. Every night, he'll share his passion and his insights about what is really going on in Washington and across America."

CNN did not announce the name of King's new program and in the statement said he would "continue to anchor 'State of the Union' until early next year."

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: CNN • John King • Popular Posts
  1. Anonymous

King for Dobbs is a pretty good deal for CNN.

November 12, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  2. Stephen in Bedford, TX

Mr. King's first panel discussion will be between Lou Dobbs, Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity.

November 12, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  3. Larry - Hazleton, pa

Good luck Mr King.

November 12, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  4. Chris ~ Albany, NY

Deffinately better than Lou. I have to admit I watched Lou for many years but havn't the past few because it seemed as if he had just gottan old and angry...not exactly the kinda tv I wanted to watch.

November 12, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  5. chris case in texas

He's the obivous choice to replace Lou Dobbs, although I think he leans too far to the right. Anyone care to guess where Mr. Dobbs is going? I'd bet my next Social Security check and retirement that he will be welcomed into Faux News with open arms. Now, he'll get to say what he really thinks. After all, Lou, it's all about the money, isn't it? Lou will be paid mega bucks to continue to question President Obamas birthplace. Where was Dobbs on the illegal war waged and all the money and lives that were lost during the Bush administration?

November 12, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  6. anna roebuck

So glad to see Lou Dobbs off CNN, I had stopped watching him months ago . He had just gotten too opinionated. I want facts not opinion! I'll form my own, thank you very much! King is a great choice as replacement....a real newsman!

November 12, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  7. Bob

I really haven't listened to John King much before, but suspect that his views will more closely reflect the left leaning views of CNN. Here's wishing Lou Dobbs the best and hoping that he lands someplace that really appreciates him. I don't always agree with him, but appreciate that he is not just another talking head of the left.

November 12, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  8. Rhonda

Whats the matter got to get someone who agrees with everything & does not have an opion of there own???????

November 12, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  9. Jim

This is not news, it is a advertisement.

November 12, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  10. jaye

John King is worthless – he will not insist that stories be backed up...he'll give his guest a pass, and allow the republicans to continue spreading their hate and lies on CNN.

Truth in journalism is a thing of the past – news shows are now reality news...the more bizarre and the more lies the better.

Bring real news back – and get rid of the republican haters and liars that clog the news channels....and get rid of Mary Matlin, Bill Bennett, and the worthless people that use their opinions as truth, instead of the lies they really are.

November 12, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  11. rajamannan,concie

Thank you CNN. I have been awaiting for this day. I always turned to another news channel like ED, Chris Mathews, Keith Oberman and Rachil Maddox and the rest Cnn News men who were fair and correct.

November 12, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  12. Jim

I forgot to add:

this would be good fodder for the Daily Show.

November 12, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  13. michele cvet

My husband and I are absolutely thrilled that Lou Dobbs is gone. In the past four moths, we have stopped watching CNN except for Anderson Cooper. I could not work all day and come home and eat dinner in front of the television and listen to his nonsense. Let him go to fox if he wants, but to continually mock our new Prsident with his know-it-all attitude and self-rightouness was making us sick. He is no loss whatsoever to CNN.

November 12, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  14. whaley41

One less viewer now. Only reason I watched CNN was Lou Dobbs. Best to you Lou in whatever you decide to do. Thanks for telling it like it is. No one else on CNN does.

November 12, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  15. jwheeler

Too bad. Dobbs will be missed. He was good at pinpointing what is wrong with Washington and Wall Street. and stirring up the pot. A necessary voice in the wilderness. King is too bland and stiff. He's a goody two shoes. CNN, you've gone soft.

November 12, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  16. William C. Blossom

This is exactly the right move. I'm glad Dobbs is gone and I throughly respect John King. He is well prepared and a skilled professional newman.

November 12, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  17. Beverly Bell

It is time that an African American host a show on CNN. Roland Martin did a fine job filling in for Campbell Brown.

November 12, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  18. rich

Straight facts from CNN? Why did Lou Dobbs leave, he did that, but Klein from CNN didn't want the real facts to be known. CNN will lose viewer since Dobbs have left. Jonathan Klein doesn't get his viewer and what we really want to know, just the real facts, not the crap that CNN keeps giving us. Just give us the truth CNN,

November 12, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  19. MARY WHITE

It is a shame that CNN and Dobbs are parting (for CNN). Dobbs will be fine because folks want to know the truth. CNN just lost more market share!

November 12, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  20. ObamaWillPayMyBills

Now CNN is 99% a walking and talking point for Obama. Watch out Ms. Brown you could be next for that 1%.

November 12, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  21. twirleygirl

Excellent choice for the 7pm slot. In the last year we had gone from looking forward to Lou to rushing to turn him off as his show became more opinionated and narrow minded.

November 12, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  22. Doug S

Addition by subtraction..... King will provide worthy and responsible reporting ... while Dobbs will join the Beck..Hannity ... O'Reilly clown show. Tis a shame ....that News programing has evolved into the fear factor /survivor menatlity of " The Reality" show. Thank God for CNN!

November 12, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  23. Sick of political shows

Couldn't CNN fill this slot with something that is NOT a political show? Maybe something more like their morning show? I am really exhausted of political discussion and news and would like something that covers other news and interests – and I don't mean HLN's 5 to 9 evenings of crime and hysteria! CNN, you have lost me now because of too many political shows and not enough of other news. I had perked up at the thought you might do something interesting to fill Lou Dobbs slot but I guess I was hoping for too much!

November 12, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  24. Giovina G. Crisalli

Congratulations! Fantastic choice!!
    John King is the voice of reason amid a sea of talking heads and full of themselves 'experts'. I always listen in to the conversation when John King is the host. He is respectful but dogged about asking the tough questions that need to be asked and answered.
    I truly believe that there are many viewers and listeners like myself who want the facts not a lot of gibberish.
    I cannot wait for your first broadcast!
    Again, congratulations and much success!

November 12, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  25. Barbara Canter

Great choice! I felt Lou Dobbs was getting too radical and biased in his views. I would like to see a discussion on term limits for Congress and how that could be accomplished.

November 12, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |