November 12th, 2009

John King to replace Lou Dobbs

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

Washington (CNN) – Heading into the critical 2010 midterm elections, CNN will launch a new weekday political program that will be hosted by award winning correspondent John King.

"I'm thrilled to have the opportunity, at this busy and consequential time, to have a platform to discuss and explore the big issues of our time," King, chief national correspondent and anchor of the network's Sunday program "State of the Union," said in a statement released Thursday by CNN.

Early next year, King will move into the 7 p.m. ET time slot that was previously held by longtime CNN anchor Lou Dobbs, who announced Wednesday that he was leaving the network.

"The program will reflect what CNN is all about: straight facts from our anchors and the widest range of opinions from across the political spectrum," Jonathan Klein, president of CNN/U.S., said in the network's statement. "John has enthralled CNN viewers with his vast political knowledge, and he has spent the past year reporting from beyond the Beltway on pressing policy issues and the real people they impact. Every night, he'll share his passion and his insights about what is really going on in Washington and across America."

CNN did not announce the name of King's new program and in the statement said he would "continue to anchor 'State of the Union' until early next year."

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: CNN • John King • Popular Posts
  1. vivian

I like John King, but I think you have lost a great host Lou Dobbs. I will not be watching this show.

CNN again has let me down.

I will find something else to watch during this time. As to bias you should really take a look at the presedential election coverage that CNN covered.

I'm a hispanic and I never felt upset at anything Lou had to say. He was honest and well informed.

See ya.....

November 12, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  2. ender

Oh boy, more John King!!!!

(I hope you caught on to the sarcasm CCN)

November 12, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  3. Darnell Jackson

Congrats to you John King, you are one of my favorites on CNN. I'm so glad Lou Dobbs is finally off of this wonderful network with his racist views. I'm sure he wil have his platform on the FOX network soon.

November 12, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  4. Tony

John, Do not be bias like rightwing nutt Lou, no one is going to miss his departure. If you want to be loved by viewres than be impartial in your view and let others to talk . Lou never allowed other than his own opinion. make it interesting like Wolf Blitz, C.Brown and AC 360. GOOD LUCK..............

November 12, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  5. jane-vt

I wish CNN would just go back to news in the evening. Too much commentary. Hopefully Ted Turner buys this network back and puts it on the right track.

November 12, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  6. Useyourbrain!!

John King is no Lou Dobbs.....The show will take a big hit...downward.

November 12, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  7. ROBERT MAJKA

Thank you Lou for leaving CNN, now the network can truly show it's true colors as a liberal loving Obama fan!!!!

Please CNN notify the nation in advance when you decide to finally brake suction from the President so that the shock wave doesn't knock your remaining viewers from their chairs.

November 12, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  8. Cole-Boston

Congratulations John! Looking forward to your program!!!!

November 12, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  9. Sankar K. Mukherjee

Thanks Lou Dobbs left. He always said bad things about the immigrants. I stopped watching him for a number of years.

I've a request to Mr. John King.

Please try to keep your own opinion to yourself. To you the Democrat and the Republican are the same. If you say all the bad thing about Healthcare and the Democrat and gave more exposure to the Republican that's not right.

We like Mr. Anderson Cooper. Few months ago, I was watching the Cheney's Interview. You sound so timid I cannot believe it.
    There are lots of things to learn from the Republicans like George Will, Tom Kane (former NJ Gov.)
    Although I stated my opinion, our family like Mr. John King.
    Thanks and Good luck for new position.

November 12, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  10. Henry

I feel that many people were tired of Lou Dobbs. He had turned flaky and weird. It was best that he leave and he was digging himself into a whole.

November 12, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  11. pa. independent

John King has way too much air time and is turning CNN into Fox light, so I have stopped watching. He and his wife, Dana Bash, have had it in for Obama even before the election. They should be on Fox!

November 12, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  12. brad

great choice! that or zakaria... the 2 on cnn who actually do a little reporting.

November 12, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  13. George

John, will you be fair and balanced like Fix noise? Please don't make it the TEA BAGGER show.

November 12, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  14. Sharon

I'm thrilled about having the intelligent and even-handed John King replace the increasingly incendiary Lou Dobbs!

November 12, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  15. Leo

He will put on a very good program i'm sure. Very good pick for CNN.

November 12, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  16. Minnesota Joe

At a boy Johnny!

November 12, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  17. shirley-atl

You're replacing a nut case with another one in the making who is headed down that same road, judging from the bias interviews that I watched in the beginning of his run on state of the union. I must admit that I have not watched King for sometime now, but I do hope that he has developed a more fair and balanced approach in his outings. CNN should really get back to presenting just the facts, and not promoting anchors who are there to promote their own political agendas. Personally, when I want to get just the news, I watch BBC America for what's really going on here and in the world in which we live.

November 12, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  18. DJ

Look for Dobbs to appear soon on the Fox network. Just like Geraldo,Beck and Gretta Sustrene all are defectors who boost or recharged their fledgling careers by jumping ship to remain relevant.

November 12, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  19. Peter Zamoyski

I guess Lou Dobbs was too Independant for the left of center CNN. Too bad, guess I will now shift my viewing 100% to a more Independant minded network.

November 12, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  20. Casy

Congrats Mr. King, hope you do well!

November 12, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  21. Terry from West Texas

Our news networks tell us what sells the most advertising. We like to read about feuds and squabbles, so converage of one politician telling another politician that he is lying trumps a story explaining America's health care system. No one wants to read a story about Senator So-and-so is doing a good job. We'd rather read about something that makes us indignant (Americans love feeling indignant about something.) The news networks give us what we want to read or hear, and that is our problem. That is because they are in sales, not news. Salespeople tell you what you want to hear.

There are, of course, NO stories about truth in advertising, the marketing of products, monopolistic corporations, etc. That would hurt advertising sales.

November 12, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  22. Jeannine Dos

What a breath of fresh air! Each time Lou Dobbs was on, I would change the channel. He is such a negative person, and rude too. Welcome John. Kudos to CNN, thank you for getting rid of Lou Dobbs, you were losing viewers.

November 12, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  23. Larry

Congratulations John!
    Excellent choice!

November 12, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  24. reality check

Maybe replace Lou Dobbs with someone who is a real thinking person! .....Thom Hartmann comes to mind.

November 12, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  25. Monique Manna

Wow...I will miss Lou Dobbs...I do like John King too. Congratulations John and good luck Lou!

November 12, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |