November 12th, 2009

John King to replace Lou Dobbs

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

Washington (CNN) – Heading into the critical 2010 midterm elections, CNN will launch a new weekday political program that will be hosted by award winning correspondent John King.

"I'm thrilled to have the opportunity, at this busy and consequential time, to have a platform to discuss and explore the big issues of our time," King, chief national correspondent and anchor of the network's Sunday program "State of the Union," said in a statement released Thursday by CNN.

Early next year, King will move into the 7 p.m. ET time slot that was previously held by longtime CNN anchor Lou Dobbs, who announced Wednesday that he was leaving the network.

"The program will reflect what CNN is all about: straight facts from our anchors and the widest range of opinions from across the political spectrum," Jonathan Klein, president of CNN/U.S., said in the network's statement. "John has enthralled CNN viewers with his vast political knowledge, and he has spent the past year reporting from beyond the Beltway on pressing policy issues and the real people they impact. Every night, he'll share his passion and his insights about what is really going on in Washington and across America."

CNN did not announce the name of King's new program and in the statement said he would "continue to anchor 'State of the Union' until early next year."

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: CNN • John King • Popular Posts
  1. Basil Obinyan

John King is one of the best political reporters of our time. I make it a point of duty to watch the state of the union every Sunday at 8:00am; the program is very educative and insightful. Thank God Lou Dobbs is leaving CNN at long last to join the likes of Glen Beck, Sean Vanity and Bill O'Reily at Fox News, and I think that's where he belongs, good riddance to bad rubbish. I am glad John King is taking up that slot that has been wasted by Lou Dobbs over the years while claiming to fight for the masses and was enriching himself. He should go and join his fellow hate spreaders at FOX (False News).

November 12, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  2. vernis Robertson

The problem with these news organizations now is that , some of them don't no report the truth . The only thing they want is ratings if that means lying to the american people.

November 12, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  3. Neil Snyder

Good Riddance:

Dobbs was a buffoon and a constant complainer. Rather than take an intellectual approach to seeking solutions he was quick to complain and criticize, many times without a full set of facts. Given the credulous nature of the American public, his rantings only served to provide discord.

His dialog is much more appropriate for Fox News or other news media with constricted views.

If Dobbs has any sincerity, let him run for Congress and see how easy it is to make changes for the better. Given his years of exposure to issues, you'd think he'd be a little smarter.

November 12, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  4. Cheryl in NH

Nice choice. Lou had become such a blow-hard. I want news that is exactly that...news. I don't want opinions. I want info to help me form my own opinion. Discussion groups are good, but not one dude pushing his opinions down our throats. That, and John's hotter. 😉 Hey, nothing wrong with being easy on the eyes while delivering the news!

November 12, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  5. Carol Norris

Good!! Lou Dobbs is an angry curmudgeon that just criticizes everything in a holier than thou manner. its not helpful

November 12, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  6. historian

Congratulations John King!

Lou Dobbs used to upset me so much with his horrific comments that I stopped watching his show. John's State of Union is interesting and informative and a class act. I hope Lou Dobbs goes into retirement as he has an ugly point of view on some issues. CNN and MSNBC will continue to be my two favorite stations for providing Excellent journalistic reporting.

November 12, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  7. dimaroch

Good move CNN!! Lou Dobbs was the most negative and obnoxious anchor on all of the news shows in my opinion (even worse than O'Reilly on Fox). He was a very weak spot in the CNN news cast. I think John King will be a great replacement.

November 12, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  8. Larry Dameron

I am very happy to see Lou Dobbs out. I am a BIG fan of CNN and every night when Dobbs show starts I switch channels. John King will be a much fairer commentator. I have always felt that Lou Dobbs was obnoxious.

November 12, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  9. Carol Norris

he is just angry and vents and is doesn't support anyone.
    he is way too superior

November 12, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  10. Robert

CNN needs more fact and less opinion. Hopefully, King will work towards that.

CNN needs to learn from the mistakes of Glenn Beck and Lou Dobbs. Their programs were highly partisan and were not actually NEWS. CNN is is supposed to be the Cable News Network. Not Political Opinion Network.

November 12, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  11. Ace

This I think will be a great move for CNN.

November 12, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  12. Lou

A sigh of relief is now present at CNN with the leaving of Lou Dobbs, CNN a state Run/controlled media news outlet.

I will one of those 870,000 who will no longer EVER to view CNN even though my cable company pays u a fee for a service I no longer need.

His replacement will not last, John King; what can he do to attract my attention?? NOTHING, he is a nobody.

Good bye cnn

November 12, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  13. Al Alvarez

Great move. We welcome John King's fair-minded approach to news.

We all needed a break from Lou Dobbs hateful anti-Mexican rants. He was as Independent as Rush Limbaugh and really belonged on the "Fair and Balanced" network.

November 12, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  14. mcaufield

I am glad CNN is making a change, but I don't know if it will be enough of a change to get back the viewers that were lost with the biased hate mongering that has marred the networks reputation. Why is CNN trying to make news stars rather than focusing on delivering the facts. All reporting is biased by what is reported and what is not reported, but on CNN lately to speak of the news being biased is to gravely understate the problem.

November 12, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  15. A Kickin' Donkey

Dobbs was fake, bombastic blowhard. He was no "Independent". He was anti-Obama and pro-Bush.

His daily question to viewers were hardly ever "fair & balanced" and almost always intended to incite and inflame.

Good riddance.

I'd like to see a show where the host calls takes any guest ... a "D" or and "R" ... to task when they spread false information, innuendo, half truths, etc. The Emmy winning program would be one where the host forces these pols to take positions on common sense questions like ....

Should the US be at war in Afghanistan today? By what date should we have the majority of our troops out?

Show we have tort reform in medical malpractice to drive costs down? What are you coging to do about it?

November 12, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  16. Juanita Aguirre

John King will be a much welcome addition to that time slot. I'll start watching again.

November 12, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  17. Daniel Elkeslassy

I love John King, but too many of your shows resemble each other and are thus repetitive. I would love to see a show like Crossfire comeback (though more like the earlier years rather than the later ones).

November 12, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  18. Jim in Florida

No surprise that Dobbs is leaving CNN – CNN is as firmly in Obama's pocket as MSNBC.

Dobbs is not.

November 12, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  19. AB

John King is the most professional and personable news correspondent in the business.

Congratulations John!

November 12, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  20. Jamie

Good riddance, Dobbs! So when do you start at FOX?

November 12, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  21. deborah

Good! I like John King. He is one of the last remaining journalists on television.

November 12, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  22. Sniffit

Makes sense...just replace the neocon in independent's clothing with a GOP sympathizer...facade of "balance" achieved. At least we hopefully won't have to listen anymore to mindlessly ranted misuse of the adjective "illegal" as though it has suddenly become a noun.

November 12, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  23. Gerard Keast

Good choice! I thought Lou's prejudices were becoming too obvious for CNN's reputation for objectivity. Also, Mr. Dobbs' smarmy, self-righteous grin was becoming irritating.

November 12, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  24. Gerardo

I am glad that Lou Dubbs is leaving CNN. he took HIS forum to bash imigrants (legal or not) with no mercy in his words. I understand that this Country was lifted BY imigrants (a.k.a. colonists). So bashing and word kicking these people was totally unfair. One thing I will not miss is him...Good for CNN and Good for John King!

November 12, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  25. ray

It's a shame that cnn buckled under.you can bet i wont be watching cnn any more.Tired of all these imagrents running this country.

November 12, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |