November 12th, 2009

John King to replace Lou Dobbs

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

Washington (CNN) – Heading into the critical 2010 midterm elections, CNN will launch a new weekday political program that will be hosted by award winning correspondent John King.

"I'm thrilled to have the opportunity, at this busy and consequential time, to have a platform to discuss and explore the big issues of our time," King, chief national correspondent and anchor of the network's Sunday program "State of the Union," said in a statement released Thursday by CNN.

Early next year, King will move into the 7 p.m. ET time slot that was previously held by longtime CNN anchor Lou Dobbs, who announced Wednesday that he was leaving the network.

"The program will reflect what CNN is all about: straight facts from our anchors and the widest range of opinions from across the political spectrum," Jonathan Klein, president of CNN/U.S., said in the network's statement. "John has enthralled CNN viewers with his vast political knowledge, and he has spent the past year reporting from beyond the Beltway on pressing policy issues and the real people they impact. Every night, he'll share his passion and his insights about what is really going on in Washington and across America."

CNN did not announce the name of King's new program and in the statement said he would "continue to anchor 'State of the Union' until early next year."

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: CNN • John King • Popular Posts
  1. Deb (Long Island, NY)

Great. I watch John King on Sundays but it conflicts with Meet the Press. This will be a better time slot. More importantly...Lou Dobbs is gone. As a latina woman this is wonderful!

November 12, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  2. Brian Buchholz

Good Choice. I like John. I really like straight reporting with too much drama.

November 12, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  3. John Bachinski

The loss of Lou Dobbs is a major blow to CNN. He was one of the few commentators I watched on a regular basis. John King is not in the same league as Lou.

John

November 12, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  4. C. Wiswell

I clapped when I heard that Lou Dobbs was leaving. He was so opinionated that he was rude to guests who did not agree with him. He belongs on FOX.

It's good to hear that John King will be taking over. I consider him one of the fairest news reporters around, and I look forward to watching him. He is a class act. Yeah for CNN!

November 12, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  5. Mike

Yea right... Sounds like John King will say whatever CNN pays him to say.

November 12, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  6. Craig

Take care Lu didn’t always agree with your opinions on the issues but you told it like it is. Let’s brighten up the time slot by giving Robin Meade a one hour show in the evening hours. I’m sure the ratings would be sky high with her on at night, after all nobody tells it like she does!
    Craig K

November 12, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  7. Craig Monson

Seeing that CNN has caved to the special interest groups of open borders groups. Groups that fight for the interests of criminals I can and will not support any of your news coverage again. I have been along time supporter of CNN but I can see who is now controlling how your news station will cover this hot topic. Of course your not alone in who they control because your in good company of our Senate, Congress and the U.S. Presidentance. The working class is being sold out and only Mr. Dobbs fought for our rights. So prepare to open the flood gates and open the borders for cheap labor to bring down our standard of living. Let's not forget how they are exploiting our social service programs. When it will be time for the baby boomers to retire the program will be bankrupt for them exploiting that very system. Good luck with your basis coverage!

November 12, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  8. H-Town Girl

Please give Rick Sanchez a program. He has earned and deserves so much more than than an hour Monday – Friday............

Hispanics are a growing population (I speak only for those who were born here and are of legal residence) and it would be nice and well deserved to see one of our own lead an informative program.....

November 12, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  9. American Expat

I suspect Dobbs was asked to resign; over the past few years, he has leaned further and further to the right!

November 12, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  10. Rob

Lou needed to go a long time ago. He has become a bitter opiniated man. My guess is he'll end up on FOX with the rest of the gas bags.

November 12, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  11. Nixon

Good selection. I love John King to replace Lou Dobbs.

November 12, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  12. peter

John King will be a wonderful replacement. Lou Dodds will end up on Fox .

November 12, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  13. E Duke

This is a definite change for the better – an upgrade to a more thoughtful, less self-centered approach. Thank you, CNN.

November 12, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  14. steve

This won't last long.

November 12, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  15. Louis Coleman

Good Riddance!! Mr. Dobbs offered more negative than positve views. It is time NOW that our country come together as the UNITED STATES working as one to find common ground on our problems as opposed to always pulling others down. I've always felt if he veiwed NO ONE other than himself as having the RIGHT answer, than he should run for President.

November 12, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  16. Annette

Congratulations John!

November 12, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  17. DaShaun Gaines

I think this is wonderful, i didn't really like the way Lou Dobbs Reported the News on Cnn.

November 12, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  18. jack in lombard

Stopped watching Lou Dobbs many months ago when I tired of his diatribes against everyone & everything. Now that he has gone, maybe he'll run for an office where he can show us how smart he is – instead of constantly telling us how stupid everyone else is.

Good luck – good riddens....

November 12, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  19. Albert

It could not happen to a nicer guy than John King. But I was quietly supporting Candy Crowley for the spot just to make CNN sort of a equal opportunity employer for the high profile jobs. No doubt Ms. Crowley is quaified, but I also like and respect John King a lot.

This is a nice improvement for that 7 pm time slot.

Thanks CNN. I can come back now.. Shepard Smith was getting my attention while CNN was showing Lou Dobbs at 7 pm.

November 12, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  20. Antonio

At a time when their are so few African Americans on tv I was hoping CNN would finally give an African American a news show to headline. I am a litle dissapointed in CNN. I hope no one takes this is a race issue but African American or for that matter minority views are not really represented in this 24 hour news cycle on any network and its sad too see no network is trying.Good Luck John King but you already have a show which pretty much takes up all of Sunday morning can we get some other voices a chance to speak up on the issues.

November 12, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  21. Greg

Looking forward to this welcomed change! I love John King!

November 12, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  22. Brian Wilks

Hurray – now we might get straight news without all of the 'this is my personal take on the world' stuff that infected Dobbs' programme.

November 12, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  23. Ken in NC

Maybe I will start watching CNN again for a while. I left CNN before the elections because of The Lou Dobbs Show and The Campbell Brown Show. I only watched CNN because of Wolf, Jack Cafferty and AC/360.

I'm sure we will hear from Lou Dobbs again over at "FIX" NEWS along beside the CNN reject, Glenn Beck.

November 12, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  24. DJ

Long overdue for CNN to make such changes. Congrats John King. May be Lou Dobbs can find a new home at FIX News/Rumors.

November 12, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  25. john

whereever King goes, he'll do great. I have so much respect for his knowledge of politics and professional jounalism.

November 12, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |