November 12th, 2009

John King to replace Lou Dobbs

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

Washington (CNN) – Heading into the critical 2010 midterm elections, CNN will launch a new weekday political program that will be hosted by award winning correspondent John King.

"I'm thrilled to have the opportunity, at this busy and consequential time, to have a platform to discuss and explore the big issues of our time," King, chief national correspondent and anchor of the network's Sunday program "State of the Union," said in a statement released Thursday by CNN.

Early next year, King will move into the 7 p.m. ET time slot that was previously held by longtime CNN anchor Lou Dobbs, who announced Wednesday that he was leaving the network.

"The program will reflect what CNN is all about: straight facts from our anchors and the widest range of opinions from across the political spectrum," Jonathan Klein, president of CNN/U.S., said in the network's statement. "John has enthralled CNN viewers with his vast political knowledge, and he has spent the past year reporting from beyond the Beltway on pressing policy issues and the real people they impact. Every night, he'll share his passion and his insights about what is really going on in Washington and across America."

CNN did not announce the name of King's new program and in the statement said he would "continue to anchor 'State of the Union' until early next year."

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: CNN • John King • Popular Posts
  1. Beverly - NYC

Fareed Zakaria should have this nightly timeslot, his GPS show on Sunday's is one of the smartest show on CNN. With the selection of John King CNN has traded one Republican talkingpoint mouthpiece for another.

November 12, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  2. phil

lame, i was hoping that would give the spot to Jack Cafferty.

November 12, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  3. Murthy

Glad to hear that John King will take over this time slot. Have been waiting for this forever.

November 12, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  4. J. L. W.

Dobbs will be a big loss. He had best program on CNN.

November 12, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  5. Lawrence Taniform

Great to have you John. With Dobbs gone, I'm staying tuned to CNN again at 4pm Eastern everyday.

November 12, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  6. Bob Wysocki from Barrie Ontario

Lou Dobbs will be missed across the Northern hemisphere, especially in Canada, we don't have anyone here in Canada that has his tenacity to argue with such intelligence the issues of today .
    John King is likeable but he is no Lou Dobbs !

It's a sad day for all of us "Americans"

November 12, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  7. Pat Howells

When Lou finishes with CNN so do I.

November 12, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  8. piyush swami

Great choice! John King knows the difference between news and a point of view. The role of a show like the one Lou Dobbs did was not to hammer down a view point (without regard to the contrary) but to promote dialogue on an issue that concerns the viewers. Mr. Dobbs crossed that line a long time ago, and I quit watching his show. I am looking forward to be watching CNN channel again at 7 pm.

November 12, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  9. Tracey

Much better CNN....good choice. Good luck to Lou at Fox, he'll fit in better over there.

November 12, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  10. Hammerer

CNN has the lowest number of viewers of the cable news offerings. Watch it sink lower after they bowed to the left and the White House to manage the news as required to spin events and be politically correct. They will not fall in line with the other government controlled news organizations and report in lock step with the others.

November 12, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  11. We Won Get Over It

One more yes yes yes republican man who doesn't have the guts to ask any piercing questions.

November 12, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  12. Josh in GA

Ooh. Ooh. Please tell me there'll be magic boards...

Give me a break. Who cares?!

November 12, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  13. dinah

My prayers are answered. I don't have to watch Katie anymore.

November 12, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  14. Nicole

Bye Bye Lou! Can't say I'm going to miss you

November 12, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  15. EDWARD

I'm happy, now i don't have to turn the channel!

November 12, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  16. Diane Keichinger

congrats to John King. I enjoy watching him and his maps.
    I hope that CNN will replace him wih a person of color on the
    weekend CNN needs to add some color to their lineup.

Diane

November 12, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  17. Jim George

You must be kidding. Why in the world would you allow Lou Dobbs to leave. I left Bill O'Reilly and Hannity when I discovered Mr. Dobbs about four years ago, he is the most honest news person you have. His program was the only one on CNN that we watched. We can now delete CNN from our channel lineup. Back to Fox we go..

November 12, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  18. Geraldine Singleton

Thank, God! Finally. I stopped watching Lou Dobbs almost a year ago.

November 12, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  19. Harvey Thomson

I'm delighted to hear that John King is replacing Lou Dobbs. I wish Dobbs well in his new venture and am delighted to see the last of his smirking, fulminating rabble rousing under the guise of "independent".

November 12, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  20. Bob from Pittsburgh

It will be a nice change..

It will be hard to miss Lou, His bias and extreme views only poisoned the evening news.

Thank you CNN, now I don't have to change the channel.

Adios Lou…

November 12, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  21. Charles

Thank God you have CNN have finaly fired Lou Dobbs, his views and coments regarding immagrants are the same as the one broancasted in Rwanda in 1994 genoside which made 1 milloin human being murdered, bravoo CNN and can't wait to be grued @ 7 pm to listen to Jonh

November 12, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  22. Lawrence Taniform

Great to have you John. With Dobbs gone, I'm staying tuned to CNN again at 4pm pacific everyday.

November 12, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  23. h sutherland

He will have a hard time replacing a voice like Lou's. Lou was a breath of fresh air after listening to Begala. I hope that he will be unbiased and not fall under the thumb of CNN. The reason of Lou's quitting is unknown. However, it is felt that the bosses at CNN did not like having a moderate being so successful. It will be interesting to see how much CNN,s rating drop.

November 12, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  24. Marilynn, (Wilmington, NC)

Thrilled to hear this news... I had turned completely away from CNN during the Dobbs "opinion cast".. I mean newscast. Love watching John and his "magic wall," love watching him on State of the Union.

Congrats John, and good luck with this new endeavour.

November 12, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  25. fumblinstumblinoidiot

I think its too little too late for you CNN..you have lost all creditibility with your viewership with your constant left leaning reporting..your ratings have sunk faster than the Titanic and currently resides at the bottom with CNBC..perhaps if you practiced truthful and honest reporting instead of just being another obama rumpswab you might actually get viewers to watch again..just one persons opinion of course

November 12, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |