November 12th, 2009

John King to replace Lou Dobbs

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

Washington (CNN) – Heading into the critical 2010 midterm elections, CNN will launch a new weekday political program that will be hosted by award winning correspondent John King.

"I'm thrilled to have the opportunity, at this busy and consequential time, to have a platform to discuss and explore the big issues of our time," King, chief national correspondent and anchor of the network's Sunday program "State of the Union," said in a statement released Thursday by CNN.

Early next year, King will move into the 7 p.m. ET time slot that was previously held by longtime CNN anchor Lou Dobbs, who announced Wednesday that he was leaving the network.

"The program will reflect what CNN is all about: straight facts from our anchors and the widest range of opinions from across the political spectrum," Jonathan Klein, president of CNN/U.S., said in the network's statement. "John has enthralled CNN viewers with his vast political knowledge, and he has spent the past year reporting from beyond the Beltway on pressing policy issues and the real people they impact. Every night, he'll share his passion and his insights about what is really going on in Washington and across America."

CNN did not announce the name of King's new program and in the statement said he would "continue to anchor 'State of the Union' until early next year."

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: CNN • John King • Popular Posts
  1. philip

well done cnn. is high time lou dobbs get is ass out of cnn. He lacks true professionalism in the news business. john king is one my cnn favourites.

November 12, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  2. Sandra

I am glad to see John in this time slot. I used to enjoy Lou Dobbs' Moneyline, but then his show morphed into something else–a daily gripe session on immigration. Hopefully, John keeps the content interesting and varied on his show.

November 12, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  3. M Chase

Shame on you CNN! Just what you needed – another "King" name added to your bias reporting news team!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a gonner, but what do care anyway?

November 12, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  4. Dorothy Goldstein

I am thrilled that John King is taking over Lou Dobbs spot. Couldn't watch Dobbs anymore. He was definately becoming too negative. John King will be wonderful, as he is now on CNN. We have always enjoyed John King....GREAT CHOICE.

Thank you.

November 12, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  5. Joe Smoe

Glad to see Dobbs leaving, he will probably wind up on FOX like the
    rest if the nut cases.
    Don't think to highly of John King either though will have to wait and see what his agenda is.

November 12, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  6. bill

And of course, your obvious slants will be included with your new program. Something else NOT to watch on CNN. Good luck competing with Shepard Smith.

November 12, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  7. John Tucker

Thanks for getting rid of Lou Dobbs!

November 12, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  8. Dan Justicz

Thank God.

John King is a journalist.

Lou Dobbs is a hate-filled zenophobe.

I'm relieved that CNN has seen the light on this issue.

November 12, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  9. slim

Congrats! John King. I wouldn’t be surprise if Lou Dobbs join Fox News.

November 12, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  10. yvonne

Well, it's time. Congratulations on a well-deserved placement for John King. I was not a fan of Lou Dobbs, but wish him well.

November 12, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  11. southerncousin

Thanks for not replacing Lou with that phoney, unrepentant liar Rick Sanchez. He did a hatchet job on Rush Limbaugh using all kinds of false information and when it got proven to be false, twittered, "my bad." That makes him another non-objective, lying liberal phoney.

November 12, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  12. AP

I love John King, I like this person as a Anchor of State of the Union , And now i like another program.I like CNN, Wolf you are fine for me.
    AP.

November 12, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  13. Karen

Lou Dobbs gave me someone to dislike; this guy is simply boring. Fox news is too biased. Woe is me, but thank goodness for PBS.

November 12, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  14. Matt

This is very disappointing. John King is one of the worst "journalists" on CNN. He should have been let go months ago – now you're giving him a promotion to a prime-time slot. I was really hoping to have a reason to watch CNN again once I heard Lou Dobbs was gone. Oh well.

November 12, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  15. JCP

Great choice, CNN! What took you so long to replace Dobbs? We have stopped watching Dobbs for a long time now.

Actually Dobbs should join Fox where he will feel right at home with Beck and O'Reilly.

November 12, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  16. David Bakish

John King is an excellent choice to replace Lou Dobbs. Good riddance to an anchor with views increasingly skewed to the right. Maybe Dobbs' anti-immigrant views would be more appropriate on Fox News where ex-CNN "loony" Glenn Beck has found a new home.

November 12, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  17. Mike B in Toronto

Congratulations to John...he is very informative and professional. I look forward to his new show.

Good luck to Lou. I must say that I used to really enjoy him and his perspective, but over the past few years, his increasing desire to be an 'activist journalist' instead of a neutral professional one has resulted in me ceasing to watch him. It felt more like Fox than CNN when he was on. Somewhere else will be a better place for Lou.

November 12, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  18. blf

Congratulations, John. This is a good move. Lou was getting tired and very much a one issue man.

November 12, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  19. scott oneill

You lost a good man. I don't know what it will take to wake this country up, but at least he tried. It's really sad how so many have attacked the our country and our core values – it's time to really look at what we have, what we've done, and how we got here. Lou speaks for most of the country and we're really sick and tired of the way the country is going. There are many issues facing us but by far the most serious one is the illegal immigration problem. While not in the spotlight right now, these people are like a growing cancer silently spreading. The nerve of these people just walking into our country, demanding services,breeding like rats, taking jobs, filling hospitals, filling jails, filling schools and in general bringing down our way of life, it too much to take. Get the message – we are sick of it!!!! Deport them all now, before this country becomes like a third rate central American cesspool. Thanks Lou – please become even louder in your efforts to let us know whats going on.

November 12, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  20. marge

good choice.............Lou Dobbs will probably join glen beck at fox..where he belongs.

November 12, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  21. Bob

Well, that's it, I guess. With CNN viewer count continuing to tank, they run off the last "balanced" anchor in the stable. They now join mainline newspapers, MSNBC, CBS, etc. heading for the scrap heap of former media players and true professional journalists (there are so few left . . . ) that have lost the calling to report facts objectively and sold their souls to partisan political agenda persuasion and seduction. Shallow, arrogant "celebrity" addicts . . .Morrow, Cronkite – where are you when your country needs intelligence and integrity?

November 12, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  22. Jan

Congrats John, well deserved!

November 12, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  23. James

Lou Dobbs, will not be missed, it's about time. On the other hand, John King is a real gentleman that will bring more passion, more understanding and core values to the people. I have always held CNN as the best place for news and political discussions. Now Dobbs can go to Faux news and his psychos. please post my comments!!!

November 12, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  24. John Urban

Lou Dobbs leaving is long overdue! John King is a great choice as a replacement. You have me back as a viewer for that time slot.

November 12, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  25. Duke

I'm sure we'll see old sourpuss Lou on Fox in the near future. If you're a seanile tabloid reporter you will always have a home with Rupert Murdoch, Hammity and Orally.

November 12, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |