November 12th, 2009

John King to replace Lou Dobbs

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

Washington (CNN) – Heading into the critical 2010 midterm elections, CNN will launch a new weekday political program that will be hosted by award winning correspondent John King.

"I'm thrilled to have the opportunity, at this busy and consequential time, to have a platform to discuss and explore the big issues of our time," King, chief national correspondent and anchor of the network's Sunday program "State of the Union," said in a statement released Thursday by CNN.

Early next year, King will move into the 7 p.m. ET time slot that was previously held by longtime CNN anchor Lou Dobbs, who announced Wednesday that he was leaving the network.

"The program will reflect what CNN is all about: straight facts from our anchors and the widest range of opinions from across the political spectrum," Jonathan Klein, president of CNN/U.S., said in the network's statement. "John has enthralled CNN viewers with his vast political knowledge, and he has spent the past year reporting from beyond the Beltway on pressing policy issues and the real people they impact. Every night, he'll share his passion and his insights about what is really going on in Washington and across America."

CNN did not announce the name of King's new program and in the statement said he would "continue to anchor 'State of the Union' until early next year."

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: CNN • John King • Popular Posts
  1. John P.

Ugh......I can't stomach John King. He seems so fake to me, especially when he tries to act like one of the "common-folk" in those "sit and talk at the local diner" segments. Yet another failed show in the works.

November 12, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  2. RJ

I stopped watching Lou Dobbs long ago, when he changed from giving the straight facts and truths ! He started to try to out Fox, Fox News ! Every single night had the same theme, I can't believe we have a Black President. This guy has lost all creditability with thinking Americans ! Let him go to Fox and be on a non-news network !

November 12, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  3. Wendell

Lou was the best on CNN....I will now be 100% on FoxNews!

November 12, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  4. DvIRGINIA

Excellent choice! I admire the reporting of John King and look forward to a new perspective at this time-slot. I will admit, I did not truly agree with Lou Dobbs on many subject lines. Hopefully, Mr. King will not be as bias as most talk-show hosts and I am particularly impressed with his political knowledge. Intellegence is so necessary today, enough with opinions and on with more facts.

November 12, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  5. George

Bravo!! Excellent move. John King is one of the best. Good riddance to the sour and the cynical, Dobbs. He belongs with that propaganda machine Fox, home of the lowest common denominator "journalism."

November 12, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  6. Pat Bruder

I saw yesterday that CNN has a viewer poll about whether muslims should be excused/excluded from defending our / their country if the enemy is of the muslim faith. The idea is outrageous. Why would our country contribute to the insularly nature of particular religious community even more by excluding them from defending our/their country? If you are lucky enough to live in this country , then defend it.

November 12, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  7. Curtis jW. Etzel Sr.

I am thrilled that CNN has finally rid itself of the bigoted Lou Dobbs. Now I can watch CNN all evening for the news fair and equally reported instead of leaving the networtk because of Lou Dobbs and his "slanted" opinions. I want political news reported for what it is and not someone opinion one way or another. Again, thanks.

November 12, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  8. Norma

I'm so glad that Lou Dobbs is gone from CNN. He did not reflect what CNN is all about: straight facts from the anchors and the widest range of opinions from across the political spectrum. He became hateful and bias. I look forward to watching John King. Thanks CNN.

November 12, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  9. Northeast

Thank you CNN for replacing Lou Dobbs. He cost your network credibility and the unbiased reputation you are seeking. I felt embarrassed watching Lou because of his uninformed conspiracy theories and it was hard to watch him put his reporters on the spot with foolish and very subjective questions they were clearly uncomfortable answering. John King will be a strong addition to your weeknight line up.

November 12, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  10. AL TRAUTMAN

Lou Dobbs was the MAIN reason that I listened to CNN. Was it La Raza, his NO OUTSOURCING, FIX HERE, no NWO.

Well, I'm GONE TOO,

AL TRAUTMAN
    LYDIA, LA

November 12, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  11. geewizz

"John has enthralled CNN viewers "...................................you have got to be Kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here comes ANOTHER......... CNN Milk-Toast Reporter!

November 12, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  12. Richp

Not a big Sunday watcher so no comment on John King. Good luck Mr King. I hope your show is as interesting as Lou Dobbs was.

November 12, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  13. bill

Finally, you've made the right decision and dropped the bigoted Dobbs. Now we can come back to cnn in that time slot. I don't know how you let Dobbs go off the deep end before kicking him out, but thanks for getting rid of him. We need news not biased, sarcastic, cynicism.

November 12, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  14. Steve

A welcomed change, John King appears to have a right leaning bent but I believe he will at least lesssingle issue. Perhaps Mr Dobbs will begin a career in politics where he can try to put some of his 'ideas' into action...then he will see how easy it is to do more than simply criticize others. More likely, he will join the ranks fo Rush, Glenn, Mark, Shawn, Palin and many other to whip up to a frenzy the ugly emotions of the right wing and make a buunch of money doing it.

November 12, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  15. Brian

Dobbs comes across as a self-important, pompous, bloviator with extreme opinions delivered with absolute certainty. He would fit in nicely at FOX and that's probably where he'll end up. It's about time CNN got rid of him.

November 12, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  16. Walter

Looks like CNN lost there last good journalist. Can't wait to see him on Fox News.

November 12, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  17. Jerry Green

A very fitting replacement. Congratulations to you John, you work hard and will be a MUCH better fit in this time slot. Good luck to you and the CNN Crew. I will enjoy watching CNN a lot more now. Lou Dobbs had really been a blight on the network with his extreme right wing rants and vitriol. Good riddance.

November 12, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  18. Grace G. Howard

CNN is becoming the John King network. Mr. King is about as exciting as plain rice. He's already ruined my Sunday viewing; leaving only Reliable Sources as a show worth watching. I'm sure Lou Dobbs (CNN's resident crazy) can find a home with Fox's multiple crazies.

November 12, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  19. texas conservative

great now we can focus on something else besides MEXICO AND HIS ANGER THAT OBAMA GOT THE JOB......

November 12, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  20. walter keller

Excellent choice. John has all of the qualifications – a "real" political journalist.
    W Keller

November 12, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  21. Doug O

John King's Sunday programming, State of the Union, is a benchmark in unbiased newscasting of current events – I hope his replacement program of Lou Dobbs maintains the high standards he has established with State of the Union.

November 12, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  22. george

Thank god.... the last of the dying breed of arrogant jerks, who think they know it all, has left the building. I will find this man feeding pigeons in park of full of ducks.

November 12, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  23. Reggie

Congratulations John! You will be a great host for the show. I think you will hold more of a neutral position as compare to Lou Dobbs. are you still going to host the Sunday Morning show as well!!!

Congrats!

November 12, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  24. RLG

About bloody time.
    Dobbs was an increasingly- annoying shill, disseminating propaganda and baseless rumors, and passing it off as news and analysis.

He'll fit right in at Fox

November 12, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  25. Robert J 1

Doe this mean that CNN will begin to exhibit the same Republican bias that John King has shown for a long time? If so I will move to MSN

November 12, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |