November 12th, 2009

John King to replace Lou Dobbs

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

John King will host a new political show at 7 pm. ET starting early next year.

Washington (CNN) – Heading into the critical 2010 midterm elections, CNN will launch a new weekday political program that will be hosted by award winning correspondent John King.

"I'm thrilled to have the opportunity, at this busy and consequential time, to have a platform to discuss and explore the big issues of our time," King, chief national correspondent and anchor of the network's Sunday program "State of the Union," said in a statement released Thursday by CNN.

Early next year, King will move into the 7 p.m. ET time slot that was previously held by longtime CNN anchor Lou Dobbs, who announced Wednesday that he was leaving the network.

"The program will reflect what CNN is all about: straight facts from our anchors and the widest range of opinions from across the political spectrum," Jonathan Klein, president of CNN/U.S., said in the network's statement. "John has enthralled CNN viewers with his vast political knowledge, and he has spent the past year reporting from beyond the Beltway on pressing policy issues and the real people they impact. Every night, he'll share his passion and his insights about what is really going on in Washington and across America."

CNN did not announce the name of King's new program and in the statement said he would "continue to anchor 'State of the Union' until early next year."

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: CNN • John King • Popular Posts
  1. Ted di Stefano

Great News! Watching Lour Dobbs was like watching Fox: just another angry, biased individual who is doing nothing to advance the truth or unity. Congratulations, CNN!

November 12, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  2. H Moberly

The only reason to watch CNN was Lou Dobbs. We have enjoyed watching him every day. Will switch to Fox for the important programs about the real things important to the USA. CNN is now off limitsfor anything important to the people of the US.

Harold M

November 12, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  3. J.C. - Independent 4 Public Option

My best wishes for Mr. Lou Dobbs! I thought he was going to run for 2008, but he didn't. It's always helpful to hear different opinions from different corners of the country. I hope Mr. Dobbs can continue his independent work outside of CNN.

November 12, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  4. pascual juarez

I was happy about Mr. Dobbs announcement. I used to watch him on a regular basis but soured on his constant rant about illegal immigration. Without illegal immigration most of the food produced in this country would cost a whole lot more to harvest and the end users, the public, would have to pay more to put food on the table. I am happy also that Mr. John King will step in. I look forward to that time slot on CNN.

November 12, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  5. Mary

I love John King! That's a great replacement....watch out Wolf!

November 12, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  6. cecilia

Well this is a welcome relief. It will be a pleasure to watch someone who, while I may not always agree with his point of view, his message will be delivered in an adult, professional manner. Unlike Mr. Dobbs who could not utter a sentence without condesending to his viewers.

I may just start watching CNN more, they way I used to until I got my fill of Mr Dobbs.

November 12, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  7. Adebola Osofisan

The only reason I watch CNN primarilly is because I do believe the report from the center.
    John King is kinda right leaning in my view. I hope he doesn't turn into another Lou Dobbs. We'll wait and see.

November 12, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  8. Lorraine

I really hope that CNN starts to put out both sides of an issue instead of the current way of promoting all the programs of the current administration without coming off as so anti-other side.

November 12, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  9. Marj in Arkansas

Lou Dobbs got to be a disgrace to other journalists at CNN. I used to always watch him before he went off the deep end with immigration and other things. Let him go to Fox News!!!

November 12, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  10. Josh

CNN – Facts – give me a break. How about bias. The Tv ratings just add proof of this statement

November 12, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  11. mills rendell

I never respond to this stuff but loosing Lou Dobbs and replacing him with John King is an absolute joke. Having Lou on showed that CNN was at least trying to be "fair and balanced" to quote FOX. Instead with John King 'who could not ever ask a hard ball question if he tried, CNN has shown it's real agenda. We are no longer going to turn on CNN and will ask every place we go to please turn it off and put on FOX. No matter what you say about FOX at least they show both sides of the argument and let you decide what you want. The reason evening news is dying is we want the story told and then let us all decide what we think. Instead these talking heads feel we need to be walked through the details and told how to believe.
    Goodby CNN!

November 12, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  12. Tim Green

Let me guess Lou moving to Fox?

November 12, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  13. Cindy

I am disappointed about the station decision to let Lou Dobbs out of his contract. . It seems that CNN is getting rid of the conservative viewpoint with it's "defections" in recent months. I have enjoyed CNN for the balance it had. This is not good news for the station.

I do however off my good luck to John King. He always does a good job.

November 12, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  14. Aminu

Great news, John King is a smart guy and know his stuff, expecially when he is analysinng with the magic wall. What a great way to get good news – WOLF, KING and another KING at 9.

November 12, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  15. norb

You need to find a place for Dan Rather in your organization line-up. John King is no Dan Rather. Lou Dobbs should be well received at Fox news. Mr. Independent should have gone by the title Mr. I think I know it all. Take Ruperts money and retire to Mexico Louie!

November 12, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  16. Stan Prentice

Dobbs . . . don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

November 12, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  17. Diane

Finally, a professional journalsit to replace the biased, self-promoting Dobbs. A breath of fresh ari.

November 12, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  18. Jay, Louisville, KY

Much Much Much Much better than the right wing nut job Lou

November 12, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  19. Anonymous

YEA!!!! Peace out Lou Slob? I'm sure you'll find a home at Fox!!

November 12, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  20. Jesusita Bolton

This is great news!!! I love watching John King with his vast knowledge and his views on politics.

November 12, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  21. B Lloyd

I am so glad to hear this....Lou Dobb's was pompous, ill informed, and obnoxious. Everything was all about HIM!

Good on you, CNN!!!

November 12, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  22. Michael N

John King is one of the best I listen to him any time I get a chance. I respect him and his professionalism very much.

November 12, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  23. Benson

Congratulations to John King.
    I believe you will deliver the message that most American and the world needs. Most of all honest and fair to all sides.Protect journalism that currently weakened by misuse of philosophy and fallacy information in the name of rattings....
    Great Job CNN, A true and positve network station with a 21st century apporach to news that are inclusive to all humanity.
    I will watch your show religiously.

November 12, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  24. Vivian

I loved and will miss Lou Dobbs for his honesty. Yet, very happy on CNN's choice for John King, a true professional.

November 12, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  25. Anonymous

Yea!! Peace of Lou Slobbs!! I'm sure you will find a home in Fox's chicken coup!!!

November 12, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |