November 13th, 2009
  1. Texas Doc

Oh my God! The man can think for himself! Heresy!

November 13, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  2. duffey

I tend to agree with the Bishop. The Roman Cathloic Chruch clearly not an ala cart belief religion. If I were Kennedy, I would quit being a phoney Catholic (goes for you too Mr. Kerry), and find another faith that is more compatible with their temprol views.

November 13, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  3. Monster Zero

Wow, they let him out of rehab to make a photo op....then back to rehab.
    Is Rhode Island full of idiots or what that would vote for this guy? Anyone see what appeared to be his drug or alcohol induced speech on the Senate floor a few months back? He looked like he was going to crawl out of his skin...

November 13, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  4. Lynne

The same Church that is threatening to take away all charity to children and the homeless in Washington, DC if they don't get what they want as well as the Church that covered up and supported priests who raped children and fathered children. Where are their voices and outrage for these children as well as those who have no health care??

What hypocrits who go after an elected official who does not support abortions but does support a women's right t0o make her own decisions.

November 13, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  5. Lee

These child molesting bishops need to reprimand their own before jumping into politics!

November 13, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  6. Jamie

Stand up for what you believe!!! The Catholic church has already come out against women and women's health in health care reform issues surround abortion. I think they are trying to recruit wingnuts, and stop these crazies from going Pentecostal, etc.

November 13, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  7. chill

Religious figures like the bishop here are trying to turn this country into another Iraq or Northern Ireland in the old days when people voted their church and instigated sectarian violence for political purposes. I have never checked the relious affiliation of a candidate because I don't consider it relevant. But if Catholic politicians have to start taking orders from Rome, then I won't have much choice. I understand and appreciate that the church has a responsibility to advise and minister to its followers as to how to live their personal lives, but there this illustrates one huge reason our fore fathers separated church and state.

November 13, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  8. Pat

Pressure on Kennedy. Where was the pressure on you to produce the priest who abused? You hide them, passed them around, and never brought them forward to justice. There is something wrong with a church that will not admit their sins but surely want all yours known and want to chain you to the pillar while they are doing it. I am sick of it all.

My cousin was abused by a priest and no one would believe him. Now he is a mental wreck. I get furious now when I read about the Church being so intent on pro choice issue it makes me literally sick. What is wront with this church? God will be our final judge and I suspect he will bring to task those priest who failed their duty and perhaps will be more forgiving of those people who sought abortions. I do not and will not have one nor will my family but I will die for the right of others to have that choice.

November 13, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  9. verna

As a Catholic, I am among the majority of Catholics who are pro choice. That does not mean we are pro abortion. It means that we have separation of church and state. Abortion is legal in this country and women have a right to privacy. That law was passed by the swing vote of Justice Kennedy, a practicing Catholic. The Church has the right to speak out against the practice of abortion but they have no right to dictate to legislators on how to vote. In the 1940s and before there was a silly story going around that if Catholics were in the government they would build a tunnel from the Vatican over to the US so the Pope could rule the US. Stupid moves by the Church could start up similar stupid stories again. I don't want evangelicals putting the Ten Commandments on public property or praying before sports events. I want religion out of our government. Practice your faith and follow it';s laws. If you are against abortion, don't have one and support women who choose to keep their fetuses.

November 13, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  10. Joe

Given the recent problems within the Catholic church, I really don't think the church should be questioning others (and I'm a Catholic). This example with Rep. Kennedy is not the only example of the church's current strong-arm tactics. Earlier this week, the DC diocese say that they would no longer be able to service social services contracts with the DC government if the DC council approves civil unions for same sex couples. This is shameful and certainly is Christ-like behavior (at least from my perspective). Given this turn of events, I'm going to start withholding my financial support for the Catholic church, and, instead, give directly to charitable agencies that I believe more clearly follow the Christian principle of judge not, lest ye be judged.

November 13, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  11. Barbara Independent in NY

We really need to start taxing any religion that interferes in politics and the laws of this land.

November 13, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  12. Frank

Al Smith lost the presidency in 1928 over fears that, as a Catholic, his policies would be controlled by the Vatican. John Kennedy won in 1960 because he overcame that fear by convincing the American people that his decisions woulld not be so governed. Don't the bishops realize that if they had any amount of success in what they are trying to do it would be difficult if not impossible for even well-qualified Catholics to get elected to high office in the future?

November 13, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  13. GI Joe

My family is not catholic and I am SICK OF CATHOLICS ruling this country. Let's take away their tax-free status if they are going to be so politically active.

November 13, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  14. Len in Washington

Keep your religious beliefs to yourself, Bishop.

If you want to run something.....don't let it be your mouth.

November 13, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  15. D. Tree

Its called a separation between church and state for a good reason. The Founders didn't like churches making laws then, and they wouldn't like it now.

November 13, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  16. Recovering Catholic

Tax them! Tax them! Tax them!
    This is ridiculous. So, we taxed ACORN cause they got voters who didn't vote repbublican Ok, so, let's tax the chuches that are physically lobbying congress. Um, i believe that Al Qeada lobbies the Taliban. Geez, separation of church and state. Not what the founders had in mind, here!!

November 13, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  17. Big-K

These Catholic Bishops should run for political office instead of hiding behind a tax exempt enity to forward a political agenda under the guise of religion. They are the utmost band of hypocrsy, I wish they had put as much effort into all of their Pedophiles of whom for years they hid and move from one parrish to another dispite knowing they were abusing children and as a result the Church todate and continue to pay millions of tax exempt dollars to victims of these low life, yet now they are holy than thou and continue to throw bricks from glass houses. They should stick to services and teaching to those who beleive in their brand of religion to maintain their tax exempt status.

November 13, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  18. HarryB

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".
    As a practicing Catholic of over 50 years, I'm disgusted with the hypocracy of these Bishops, Cardinals and other "Leaders" of the Church who wear fancy robes, drive Buicks, and cover abuse.
    I still love my Church, but I dislike it's leadership.

November 13, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  19. Patriot

Let me get this straight....the Catholic Bishops are willing to abandon 40 million uninsured LIVING people, many of whom will die for the lack of health care, in order to stand up for people who are not born?

And that is Pro-Life?

The Catholic Bishops need to take care of their own houses first and stay out of politics.

November 13, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  20. Disgusted

I note with interest that the RC church does not step in to protest the loss of young lives in useless, pointless, unwinnable wars???

November 13, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  21. Mickey

Maybe if Kennedy was a pedophile he'd get more respect from the Catholic church.

November 13, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  22. Bob from Pittsburgh

The Bishop should look in the mirror and take action, he and his church are responsible of thousands of lives destroyed by sexual abuse by priest, everyday we see in the news another priest been accused of sexual abuse. And you and your church protect the perpetrators of the most heinous abuses on children.
    Or the religious fanatics claim been pro-life, however they see nothing wrong in sending our brave young kids to be killed in unnecessary wars.

Mr Bishop.. Look in the mirror and follow the bible.. follow the teaching of Jesus, you sir are far from doing just that..

You sir have no moral standing to say a word.

November 13, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  23. Rob from MO

If these religious leaders exert political pressure, they need to do what the rest of us do: pay taxes. How can the Catholic Bishops get away with blatant politicking?

November 13, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  24. P Wo

IF the catholic church wants to enter politics full time......their tax status should be changed so they can pay taxes just like any other political action comittee

November 13, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  25. Terry

It totally blows my mind, that the Catholic Church can hide pedofile priests for years. They can protect and even pay for children that are fathered by priests who have broken their vows not once but several times, and yet they still have the gall to try to push their beliefs off on our representatives who just happen to see things somewhat different. That to me is definately not a separation of church and state and if they want to do that, then we should openly and immediately start taxing the Catholic Church and any other that don't keep politics out of the pulpit.

November 13, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |