November 14th, 2009

McCain campaign adviser pushes back on Palin book

(CNN) -A former top adviser and spokeswoman to John McCain's 2008 presidential campaign is pushing back against comments reportedly made by Sarah Palin in her new book.

Nicolle Wallace tells CNN that Palin's account of an ill-fated interview with CBS's Katie Couric during the 2008 presidential campaign is not true.

In excerpts of her new book "Going Rogue: An American Life" that were obtained by other organizations, including the conservative Web site Drudge Report, the former Alaska governor and 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate discusses her interview with Couric.

"From the beginning, Nicolle [Wallace] pushed for Katie Couric and the CBS Evening News. The campaign's general strategy involved coming out with a network anchor, someone they felt had treated John well on the trail thus far," writes Palin, according to excerpts obtained before Tuesday's release date for the highly-anticipated book. "My suggestion was that we be consistent with that strategy and start talking to outlets like FOX and the Wall Street Journal. I really didn't have a say in which press I was going to talk to, but for some reason Nicolle seemed compelled to get me on the Katie bandwagon."

Related video: Palin book blitz begins

The Drudge Report says it obtained a portion of the book in which Palin claims McCain campaign adviser Nicolle Wallace pushed for the now-famous Katie Couric interview because the CBS anchor needed a self-esteem "boost."

"'She just has such low self-esteem,' Nicolle said," continues Palin in the excerpt. "She added that Katie was going through a tough time, 'She just feels she can't trust anybody.' Nicolle had left her gig at CBS just a few months earlier to hook up with the McCain campaign."

Contacted by CNN, Wallace denied the gist and specifics of Palin's account of the Couric interview, which aired at the end of September 2008.

Palin and Wallace do agree that the Couric interview didn't go well.

"I knew it wasn't a good interview," Palin tells Oprah Winfrey, in excerpts of an interview that is scheduled to run Monday, one day before Palin's book is officially released.

In excerpts of the book, Palin also writes that she thought there was something peculiar about the way Wallace would talk about her days as White House communications director for President George W. Bush.

"I had to trust her experience, as she had dealt with national politics more than I had. But something always struck me as peculiar about the way she recalled her days in the White House, when she was speaking on behalf of President George W. Bush. She didn't have much to say that was positive about her former boss or the job in general. Whenever I wanted to give a shout-out to the White House's homeland security efforts after 9/11, we were told we couldn't do it. I didn't know if that was Nicolle's call," writes Palin, according to the excerpts.

Wallace said Palin's account is completely false.

"It's not even like it's slightly wrong. It's like I feel totally the opposite. I would never disparage the president. I adored him then and I adore him now."

Wallace seemed mystified by Palin's accounts, conceding that there were enough strategy miscalculations during the campaign that Palin "didn't have to make stuff up."

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Bob Ramos

Palin is either very smart or very stupid. Smart if she knows that she can never be the GOP nominee much less President so she is making money while she can. Stupid if she sincerely believes she can become President. Palin cannot be nominated for two basic reasons: (1) She has, or will, allienate just about every important GOP person who can help her and (2) She could never survive the GOP primaries. If anybody really believes that Romney, Pawlenty, and the rest of the GOP candidates will ease up on her, then think again.

November 14, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  2. vic nashville , Tn

I won’t buy the book

For the record because of Pailn we voted for Obama

If she doesn’t like the question she always say that is great question

She is total fake

November 14, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  3. Yess

I used to respect Candy Crowley but she is now a low level jornalist due to her apparent slanting reporting, it appears this is a pattern for her now; sad, sad, CNN used to be my favorite news station, but as of late I am very disenchanted with this news channel. It is so obvious, it is sad–no wonder CNN ratings keep going down hill–Candy is using her platform of once a respectable journalist to attempt to hinder Sarah's reputation, but fooling America will no longer work as the so call media did during the election.

November 14, 2009 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  4. SAVVY OLDTIMER

Sarah Paladin,... Have book of lies ..Will Travel.

November 14, 2009 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  5. Anonymous

Sarah will get through this, that i know. there may have been mistakes, but all will work to her favor, this i know I believe this 'president' wants to undermine our country and its safety further by his attempt to cover up what is obviously a terror related incident. Impeachment proceedings should begin at once!

November 14, 2009 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  6. Dan

Why is this book and analyzing a failed campaign so important? The president meanwhile does noting right and revise history? The news on Asia tour and statements there is no political news?

November 14, 2009 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  7. g

i,ll buy her book incase i run out of toilet paper

November 14, 2009 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  8. kevin

Sarah will get through this that i know. look at all the lying by everyone else, now come on, lets know that sarah palin will survive I believe this 'president' wants to undermine our country and its safety further by his attempt to cover up what is obviously a terror related incident. Impeachment proceedings should begin at once!

November 14, 2009 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  9. I am the flacid and powerless wizard of Rush

Palin facebooks today to state that she doesn't believe in the American system of justice. She thinks we can't handle prosecuting, convicting and putting to death the scum that killed 3000 Americans in a NY court.
    Why Sarah? What are you afraid of? Holder wouldn't risk it, if he wasn't 100 per cent sure of guilty pleas or convictions.

America has successfully prosecuted 145 terrorists in civilian courts.

November 14, 2009 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  10. ng

Liberal media or not, you can not deny that Sarah Palin was a very poor choice for Vice President. Now that she lost the election, she is attemping to stay in the spotlight for as long as possible – even if that means betraying the campaign that built up her name. Her next step will most likely be a spot on the reality show "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here" in an attempt to stay as relevant as possible.

November 14, 2009 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  11. Silver hog

The interview between Curic and Palin was politicaly bias! Curics condesending body language was a 180 degree from the body language to Obama. A total agenda!

Palin is a person I would vote for.

November 14, 2009 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  12. Phil from Canada

This vapid, vacuous, uneducated, Alaska hillbilly is an international laughingstock. That she commands adoration from the right wing whackjobs in your country, speaks volumes about the basic intelligence level of the Limbaugh acolytes and the right wing pro-gun God fearin
    church goin, health care hatin sector of your population.....In any case,
    we just shake our collective heads up here, and laugh...Oooops, maybe I better stop, or y'all gonna wanna bomb us....but you gotta know where we are first....

November 14, 2009 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  13. Cognizant33

Palin lying?!?!?!?!? Who would have thunk it. *Wink WInk* Hey Sarah Can I come over for Thanksgiving dinner I would love to see Russia from your house, I would love to have a gotcha moment with you, and say it aint so Sarah, I would love to just have a Joe plumber meal with you and I promise I wont show my privates like your former future son in law. Give me a break. LOL I read these articles only as a source of amusement. You just have to laugh at the Palinisms!! Thank you Sarah for reminding me why I am so thankful I went to college and can speak clear articulate sentences!! Your the best. *Wink Wink*

November 14, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  14. lizzy09

Sarah Palin is as much of a loser as Levi Johnson- they deserve each other! I'd love to not hear anything more about or from, either one of them.

November 14, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  15. jerseylou

Ok i have this great idea why don't we round up all the palinites foxnites,kkknites,nazinites and their followers .Take them to alaska,take their tools and weapons from them .Build a 100 foot high and deep steel fense 6 feet thick. gather up all the thousands grizzly bears and wolves we can find put them inside this huge fense with these nuts.leave them.. be for 666 days to them selves. We go back on that last day drill a peep hole in the fense and see who is still standing at the top of the food chain. Winner goes back to civilization are the wilderness. Maybe what'sleft of these fools and idiots they would be a little human again!

November 14, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  16. Bill from CA

Sadly, Sarah Palin has had the longest 15 minutes in history, and is trying to keep us in agony by extending it by whatever means possible. This time, she is throwing one of the more honorable politicians we have, John McCain, under the bus. Even though I did not vote for him, I always admired McCain for his service and sacrifice to our country. During the elections, the GOP constantly reminded us what a great man McCain was, so I'm curious...why aren't more Republicans standing up for McCain against this trashy woman?

Oh, and BTW...regardless of if Wallace was biased in wanting the Couric interview or not, the fact that Palin wanted Fox or some other right-wing news source for her big interview shows how much she lacks basic political sense. An interview with Fox is only going to reinforce support amongst the conservatives, which was never an issue with her. If McCain wanted to win the election, he needed to win over the independs and moderates, and those people are more likely to give an interview with Katie Couric credibility over one with Sean Hannity and those clowns at Fox.

November 14, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  17. Cary in NC

Why would a CNN Senior Political Correspondent be assigned to this non-story?

November 14, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  18. WHAAA??

"Going Rogue-An American Lie"!?

November 14, 2009 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  19. Porsche911

Listen to some of you people...Now McCain was a poor choice...McCain's female advisers were jealous...DEM sabotage...How were those "tough" questions or a set up? This is woman was running to be the second most powerful person in this country and one of the most influential in the world. She is blaming Katie Couric...Are you kidding me?? This is why you republican dinosaurs are where you are...NO progress, Same old game, Blame the other party, Cry babies, Your party is leaderless! Oh, I forgot, Rush is your daddy. What a joke!

November 14, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  20. Bob Dog

This is wonderful. Its great to see Sarah continue to lie and cheat. Can there be any better entertainment than to see Sarah Palin destroy her credibility, day after day, after day.

It looks like everyone is going to benefit from Sarah's book, particularly democrats!

November 14, 2009 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  21. Porsche911

Listen to some of you people...Now McCain was a poor choice...McCain's female advisers were jealous...DEM sabotage...How were those "tough" questions or a set up? This is a woman that was running to be the second most powerful person in this country and one of the most influential in the world. She is blaming Katie Couric...Are you kidding me?? This is why you republican dinosaurs are where you are...NO progress, Same old game, Blame the other party, Cry babies, Your party is leaderless! Oh, I forgot, Rush is your daddy. What a joke!

November 14, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  22. Fredric, Las Vegas

Does Sarah Palin have anything nice to say about anybody these days. She is just consumed by negativity.

November 14, 2009 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  23. Nick

Did she just say "shout out" in her book. Wow the level of her writing is amazing. Its no wonder that she is an unemployed Facebook hack now.

November 14, 2009 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  24. mary

To paraphrase Shakespeare/Faulkner: Palin is " but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets her hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more: it is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing."

November 14, 2009 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  25. KO

Palin lies as easily as most of us breathe or eat. Hard to feel sorry for the McCain folks, though, since they picked her!

November 14, 2009 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |