December 5th, 2009
12:18 PM ET
8 years ago

Obama to the Capitol Hill Sunday

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/11/16/obamajapan.jpg caption="President Barack Obama will go to Capitol Hill Sunday to meet with Senate Democrats."]
Washington (CNN)– President Obama will go to Capitol Hill on Sunday to meet with Senate Democrats, as the health debate rages, a White House official and a senior Democratic source told CNN on Saturday.

The meeting is set for 2 p.m.

The Senate is in session both days this weekend to debate health care and vote on amendments.

Democratic leadership sources admitted that a major motivation for keeping the senators at the Capitol is to keep negotiations going and reach a compromise on a proposed public health care option.

Some Democratic senators have been complaining that the president must get more involved in this intra-party fight.

"I want to see more from the White House," Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, said Friday. Brown, a strong supporter of a public option, also said that "the president needs to weigh in. I think that will make it a lot easier."


Filed under: President Obama
soundoff (53 Responses)
  1. S M R

    Thank You Mr President for working so hard to better the lives of 98% of the population. The other 2% need to play fair and give OUR Countries middle class a chance to recover. Isn't a decade of tax breaks for the rich enough already!!! Please have a heart for once and be satisfied with YOUR FORTUNE.

    December 5, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  2. Gary

    No public option! No new taxes! No new entitlement programs! No medicare cuts! No government panels! – – it is that simple keep those rules and we can have some reasonable healthcare reform.

    December 5, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  3. Bobby Boy

    Obama better bring his check book to buy off the Senators. Either that or bring Harry Reid, and have Harry write out the checks . I guess that would be the "proper" way of doing things. Mary Landrieu set the price point at $300 million to sell her vote, but that was just to get the bill to the point it could be debated. What's the price now Harry, $600 million? Maybe even a $1 billion? It doesn't matter, it's the tax payers money, and who cares about them?

    December 5, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
1 2 3