February 2nd, 2010

Palin wants Rahm Emanuel fired

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/11/10/art.getty.rahm.emanuel.jpg caption="Palin says Emanuel should be fired over a recently reported comment."](CNN) - This time, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel has gone too far, Sarah Palin says.

The former Alaska governor is calling on President Obama to fire his notoriously coarse top aide after a report in the Wall Street Journal last week quoted Emanuel as referring to liberal groups in August who attacked the president's health care plan as "F-ing retarded."

In a posting on Facebook, Palin says the language is not only "caustic [and] crude" but deeply offensive to those with disabilities. She also compares the choice of words to that of the "N-word" in reference to African-Americans.

"His recent tirade against participants in a strategy session was such a strong slap in many American faces that our president is doing himself a disservice by seeming to condone Rahm's recent sick and offensive tactic," Palin wrote.

"Just as we'd be appalled if any public figure of Rahm's stature ever used the "N-word" or other such inappropriate language, Rahm's slur on all God's children with cognitive and developmental disabilities – and the people who love them – is unacceptable, and it's heartbreaking," Palin also wrote in the post Monday evening.

Palin's youngest child, Trig, was born with Down Syndrome in April, 2008.

Special Olympics Chairman Tim Shriver has also taken issue with the language, sending a letter to Emanuel last week asking him to join his organization's campaign to end the use of the word.

The White House has not commented on Emanuel's reported language.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Rahm Emanuel • Sarah Palin
  1. kitkats

Palin is in no position to tell the President what to do. Palin can vocalize a public opinion as a citizen only.

February 2, 2010 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  2. terry thayer

Most older automotive distributors have spark "Retards" in them. Does that mean they are a slap in the face to many American people? Are the special olympics people mounting an effort to re-phrase all references to a retarded spark to maybe, "A gadget that slows the flow of electricity to the spark plugs?" Honestly! I am so sorry Mr. McCain chose to thrust Ms. Palin into the national spotlight and I simply can't wait until she and her ignorant, misinformed, uneducated opinions fade back into the obscurity they came from and leave the rest of us in peace.

February 2, 2010 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  3. alumette

PS: the mentally challenged or retarded are not likely to read this article, so Palin can chill. Her son won't be reading this.

February 2, 2010 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  4. Robert

Bad word choice by Emanuel, and let's hope it's a "teachable moment" for him and others. But Palin's hyperbolic over-reaction is pure grandstanding (no surprise there). Let's not forget all the questionable language and name-calling Palin indulged in during and after the campaign (basically called Obama a terrorist). And according to Levi Johnston, she privately refers to Trig as her "retard baby" (see Vanity Fair interview).

February 2, 2010 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  5. Anonymous

The guy is an absolute crude jerk! Anything the dems do or say is acceptable. If he'd been Republican, we'd never hear the end of it. The man needs to go but so do many others in the administration, starting with the woman "asleep behind the wheel" Napolitano! Now, she really makes me feel that the U.S. is safe on her watch!

February 2, 2010 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  6. George B. from Ohio

Sarah Palin is "F-ing cognitively-challenged."

I think Sarah Palin is one of the most disingenuous, devisive, incompetent public figures to ever come along, but I do agree that when you are in the public eye like Rahm you need to be more sensitive to special needs indivduals. I use the term to describe my actions on occassion, but not cool and I know I shouldn't, even in private around friends who know I mean no disrespect. On the other hand, the cry and hue to fire anyone any time bad judgement is made regarding the use of a work or phrase is ridiculous, a sing of our 24/7 nws stream knee-jerk over-reaction to everything.

February 2, 2010 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  7. R Raff

Being handicapped since age 5 with polio. The word disadvantaged is given to minorities and women. If you are handicapped you are not
    considered disadvantaged. Check SBA definitions. I had to start my own business to make equal pay. I was not given preferential treatment as some one that is considered disadvantaged and have paid my SBA loan back as any normal individual would. Seems if your handicapped, even though some times you can do a better job than some one that is not handicapped most employers feel they are giving a hand out and do not pay equally to a handicapped person for a good day of work. Go Chica!!!!

February 2, 2010 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  8. Kelly

Wow, for once I agree with Ms. Palin, a first. This was a very inappropriate use of language by someone in a very visible position. I'd like to see someone capable of better judgment in the job. Mostly though, I hate Rahm's strong ties to Corporate America and for that reason, I want him gone.

February 2, 2010 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  9. Bruce Taylor, Berkeley, CA

Sarah, fire yourself.

February 2, 2010 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  10. Mary

Who cares what she wants? Who is she? Nobody!

February 2, 2010 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  11. Mike In MO

Whaaaaaaa???? Rahm uses coarse language? Thanks for the breaking news, ex gov...

February 2, 2010 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  12. S. Durham

I never thought I'd agree with Sarah Palin but I believe she is correct and Mr. Emanuel needs to be dismissed over this incident. Is this the kind of behavior we want out of the White House's "Chief of Staff"? I don't think so. A hand slap by the President or a formal apology is not acceptable. He's a liability and not doing his job anyway. Get rid of him!

February 2, 2010 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  13. Dan

I don't agree with much that Sarah Palin says ... but she is dead on with this one. If Emanuel doesn't show some remorse and apologize for his choice of words, then maybe he should be fired.

14. Maria from VT

Sarah Palin is a f-ing retard

15. George B. from Ohio

Sarah Palin is "F-ing cognitively-challenged."

I think Sarah Palin is one of the most disingenuous, devisive, incompetent public figures to ever come along, but I do agree that when you are in the public eye like Rahm you need to be more sensitive to special needs indivduals. I use the term to describe my actions on occassion, but not cool and I know I shouldn't, even in private around friends who know I mean no disrespect. On the other hand, the cry and hue to fire anyone any time bad judgement is made regarding the use of a work or phrase is ridiculous, a sign of our 24/7 news stream knee-jerk over-reaction to everything.

16. mike

Hey Sarah Palin put you money were your mouth is if you really want
    to make a difference then the money you make on fox news and all
    the other shows about this issue should be donate to the Special Olympics and I know Tim Shriver would love to see you work with
    him on the Olympics there is an old saying action speak louder then words

17. Mike

He is a jerk and should be gone!

February 2, 2010 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  18. Why is Sarah the ONLY one screaming about this?

Way to go Sarah! If this were a conservative saying something like what he said, CNN, NBC, ABC, would be SCREAMING for his resignation.

Instead, the media will now attack Sarah Palin – just watch!

And the liberals wonder why we have become such a divided nation!

19. jorge rodriguez

To use the word "retarded" in a non-medical or non professional level regarding any individual is very offensive, especially if that someone is at a high government level. Anyone at any work place, even at the lowest level, for example a McDonalds low level entry manager, who uses that word in that context would probably be terminated by the company to avoid any possible lawsuit.

Now, to add the "F" word to the word retarded, it actually compounds it even more. This person needs to be removed from any job where the person has any authority whatsoever over anyone.

I don't know for sure if Emanuel used those words, but if he did, he needs to step out or be fired.

Our President

20. alpha_nu_916

blarf. where was her outrage when the south carolina governor called people collecting benefits "animals"? politics as usual. at least rahm didn't drop an f-bomb on the senate floor like dick.
    palin/bachman 2666

21. David

What??? I though Sarah believed in free speech? For someone who is a private citizen, she has alot of nerve.

22. Shanna, IN

Why does she want him fired? Because he won't "quit" a job, like she does. Palin should want a lot of things, starting with a brain.

"Better to close your mouth and be thought a fool, than open it and remove all doubt."
    –Abraham Lincoln

23. the dude

Palin is not a viable candidate for office–end of story. Like Rush, she is now an entertainer–if you insist on covering every thing she does CNN, please put her were she belongs–in your entertainment section.

24. Ralph

Palin is a retard.

25. Fancysmiley from Conyers, GA

This was about 6 months ago. It took her six months to come up with this? Who's the slow one?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12