March 11th, 2010

White House to get preview of HBO series

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/03/11/art.hanks.spielberg.gi.jpg caption ="Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg are expected to attend a White House viewing Thursday of their new HBO mini-series ‘The Pacific.’"]Washington (CNN) - A group of Hollywood heavyweights and military veterans will attend a preview of HBO's new mini-series "The Pacific" at the White House Thursday.

The president, the first lady and the producers of the series, Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg, are expected to be at the viewing in the White House screening room.

The miniseries which debuts on March 14 follows three U.S. Marines through their battles during the war, HBO says. HBO is owned by Time Warner, which is also the parent company of CNN.

Also expected to attend the event are the Joint Chiefs of Staff, National Security Advisor Gen. Jim Jones and members of Congress.

The screening Thursday will come after a ceremony at the National WWII Memorial. The ceremony will be a tribute to about 250 World War II veterans.

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama • White House
  1. Chandler

I don't see how people can get upset out this. It really just shows how much blind rage there is about NOTHING. It is ok if the President takes a few hours to watch tv during his week. It isn't healthy to be all work all of the time. It isn't as if he doesn't work hard the other 98% of the time. He works weekends, he works early and stays late. People who make a big deal out of this have serious issues.

March 11, 2010 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  2. Carolyn

How nice for all of them!! Good to see Obama doesn't have anything important to do... ...

March 11, 2010 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  3. Miss Independence

Wow I expect this liberal crap from Speilberg...but Hanks has really disapointed me lately. We were fine with NOT getting involoved in WWII until JAPAN in a cowardly move bombed Pearl Harbor...this just gives Obama another photo op....

March 11, 2010 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  4. Franky, Land of Lincoln

One of the biggest reasons why I'm turned off by our President is because he seems to be doing anything he wants nowadays, having celebs attend the White House to go chill, having private meetings with unorthdox people with unreligious views, having an authorative personality that relies too much on socialistic Liberalism, etc. I think is too much, just for starters. But that's how Liberals are, they ain't ashame to showcase their views that's for sure...

Although am a fan of Band of Brothers, I like it but unfortunately, I don't got HBO, is too expensive. The Pacific sure sounds something I will like but don't got the channel so will probably have to wait for the White Reviwes in Entertainment tonight to what they think about it...

March 11, 2010 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  5. Chris C.

Tom Hanks hates America and feels we're all a bunch of racists (except hollywood obviously). He feels all those that served are racists and baby killers. The cancer that is Hollywood is eating away at his mind.

March 11, 2010 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  6. Ken

I don't understand why a movie about heroic vets has to be a political wedge issue. I don't understand why people are complaining that our president is taking a few hours over a couple of nights to watch some movies, is he not allowed to take breaks? I dunno, mostly I'm just sick of this "everything has a partisan angle" crap that CNN and the rest of the media keeps trying to play for ratings.

March 11, 2010 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  7. Moderate Man

For those of you who are saying that Obama has not served in the military let me remind you of all the chicken hawks who got us into two wars but like Cheney "had other prioroties".

March 11, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  8. Kevin

@ douglas..."Unless i miss my guess, people that watch this epic miniseries will soon be selling their Jananese automobiles...if they have not already done so..."

I'll sell my Honda when a US automaker can produce a great car, with good resale value, a 300,000 mile + lifespan, and all the features I want, plus a great ride and good quality looks etc.

American cars as a whole are still far behind their jap counterparts.

Onto the article, I'm sure the mini series will be great :).

March 11, 2010 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  9. Keith Holley

This may be the largest audience this mini-series has. After hearing Tom Hanks denigrate our efforts of brave men and women of WWII I will boycott this showing. To hell with him and all the so called elitests in the white house! Hey, Hanks smoke a cigarette with the leader of the free world. what a leader! He cannot even quit smoking, but he can quit going to church. Maybe he can find a Mosque he might like. And you can go with him. Good riddence!

March 11, 2010 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  10. Bill from CA

It's funny how many conservatives are on here blasting Spielberg and Hanks for going to the White House. Need I remind you clowns that it was the fundraising efforts of these two men that largely are to credit for the WWII memorial on the National Lawn in D.C. For decades, administrations both left AND right refused to fund a WWII memorial with taxpayer dollars, which is inexcusable. Thanks largely to the efforts of Spielberg and Hanks, there is a beautiful and solemn tribute to the over 400,000 members of the American military who died in WWII. What have you "pro-military" fools done for the men and women you claim to have so much respect for, other than throw a worthless bumper sticker on your gas-guzzling SUV?

March 11, 2010 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  11. Alex

"Who cares" you ask? I don't know, maybe the families of the 4,440,000+ military casualties, 24.5+ million civilian casualties (Allies), 3,340,000+ military casualties, 960,000+ civilian casualties (Axis) and the rest of the Free World cares. Think before you speak. Oh, and learn how to spell too.

March 11, 2010 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  12. me

Ido not like to watch anything about war. Because it happened and makes me cry. I came from Europe, we were fed in school with this war stuff all the time. It is good for people who do not know too much about war- but then-as someone told me when I cried: " it is just a movie" -well it is not. People did-do die in war. War kills. Does not create.

March 11, 2010 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  13. ABMiller`

Hey Mr. Hanks, you're a dishonest ignoramus:

– If we fought and defeated the Japanese because of race and religion, then why were we allied with the Chinese and Indians, not to mention why we were liberating the inhabitants of the the South Pacific Isles, Indonesia, and the Phillipines...???!!!

– Imperial Japan had been at war for decades annexing Manchuria and Korea, slaughtering Chinese civilians, occupying Southeast Asia and Indosesia long before they attacked Pearl Harbor, Hong Kong, and Manila, forcing the U.S. and Britian into the war. Ask those countries who the racist, bigoted, oppressive, exploitative, facist totalitarians were. Ask them who saved them, at great sacrifice.

– The Japanese faked surrenders and rigged injured and dead bodies with booby traps until the Americans stopped trying, they bombed hospital ships clearly marked with the Red Cross, they killed their own civilians on Saipan and Okinawa who tried to surrender. They

– Look up mortality rates in POW camps - 80% of prisoners (slave laborers) in the Japanese camps died, simliar to Russians held in Nazi camps. Who were the monsters?

– Look up the Rape of Nanking, but not only that well-known atrocity...look up the Rape of Manila. Look up Unit 731 in Manchuria to find out the atrocities committed by the Japanese - biological, chemical, and medical "experiments" performed on live civilian prisoners.

– General MacArthur was a magnanimous victor in postwar Japan and instituted myriad social and political reforms. When he left, he was revered as a hero.

I don't need to learn history from rank propogandist like you. You and your documentary can rot. You dishonor the memory of the thousands of dead American GIs and Marines lost in the War in the Pacific. Shame on you, you disgusting perverted cretin.

March 11, 2010 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  14. Tony

I'm curious about this. And judging by how Tom Hanks has been pushing it during his publicity tour, I don't think I'm gonna like it. For some reason he thinks that our reasons for going to war with Germany were different than the reasons for going to war with Japan... pretty much ignoring the fact that JAPAN ATTACKED US. The progressives of the time were ardent racists (and not much has really changed), but he's painting with a broad brush and attributing propaganda as motivation.

I don't get HBO so I'm gonna have to download this little miniseries of his off BitTorrent. But somehow I think that a pair of movies like Flags of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima (especially this one) will do a better job of exposing forgotten aspects of history that bring more context to the story than The Pacific. But we'll see, Hanks just could be a horrible promoter letting his progressive ideology get in the way.

March 11, 2010 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  15. Andy

Well ALL are in the business of Hollywood including Obama,he is just another actor reading his lines and doing as told,NO meaning,just ALL for show.He is the real actor in the group.

March 11, 2010 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  16. Moderate Man

Of all the ridiculous comments, here is my favorite:"If they like the LEFT WINGS (sic) ways of living, they should move to those countries, Tom needs to go to Iran, Iraq or Afghanistan".
    So anyone who disagrees with your views should move to another country? Do you really want to live in a country that is that intolerant? Is your idea of freedom to suppress or punish those who think differently than you ? Your ability to reason is suspect given that you think that Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan are left wing countries. How would you define a right wing country?

March 11, 2010 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  17. MikeJ

Great, run Forest, run.

March 11, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  18. Democrat dude is Ohio

BUT will they have a beer together???

March 11, 2010 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  19. carlos

once again, the ignorance of the inbred retards.....I served my country, did you?....maybe you were hiding in the swamps, sickos

March 11, 2010 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  20. Dan Holiday

to cecilia:

I am glad that come 2012 I will be able to experience the beauty of voting against our first black president and electing someone who actually gives a darn about this country. I will be glad that I can bask in the beauty of a congress with far less democrats than before...come 2010. I will thank God in heaven for answering my prayers by making this country great again, under an administration that he sees fit to lead unto His glory. : )

March 11, 2010 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  21. Rick McDaniel

Obama fits right in with Hollywood......he likes fantasy too.

March 11, 2010 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  22. Scott

As a vet and historian I think it will be great. Band of Brothers was very well done and now they tell the Pacific side. If you've read any of the sources for this you would know that's it's not some liberal movie, rather an attempt to show what the Pacific war was like.

If you study history you will see that our treatment of Nisei and our attitudes towards the Japanese was indeed racist. That in no way excuses their attack on us or their conduct during the war. It only highlights how we behaved at that time. Those who can not see this really need to go back to school.

Those that comment without seeing It are just displaying their ignorance. Of course, that seems to be the norm for many today.

March 11, 2010 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  23. Michael from Ventura

All you republiCANTS: get a LIFE! Why weren't you being this disgusted when gwb was in the White House? You people are pathetic!

March 11, 2010 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  24. Stallion

This is a very believable scam that Spielberg and Hanks are perpetrating on the public. But, believe me, you would not want to go into battle with either one of these 2 guys at your side.......and GOD forbid both of them.

March 11, 2010 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  25. Wes

It is sure to be an unbelievable series! Band of Brother was one of the best in the history of television and as a United States Marine myself, I am extremely grateful that such a piece is being done in honor of the Men and Woman who fought in the Pacific Campaign.

To all of the miserable human beings that left negative comments below. My only hope is that the next time we are forced to defend our country by crawling up Red Beach on the shores of Iwo Jima, you will be the one there to absorb the first artillery shells so the true American Heroes can be alive to protect the country they love.

March 11, 2010 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |