March 15th, 2010

Hayworth: Gay marriage opens doors to bestiality

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/03/15/art.hayworth.file.gi.jpg caption ="J.D. Hayworth gave an interview Sunday to Florida radio station WORL, where he made comments about same-sex marriage."]Washington (CNN) - The man who wants to oust Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, is so worried about states allowing same-sex marriage, he fears it'll lead to bestiality.

At least that is what former Rep. J.D. Hayworth, R-Arizona, intimated Sunday in an interview with Orlando, Florida radio station WORL when discussing the decision in Massachusetts to recognize gay marriage.

"You see, the Massachusetts Supreme Court, when it started this move toward same-sex marriage, actually defined marriage," Hayworth said. "Now get this, it defined marriage as simply, quote, 'the establishment of intimacy.' Now how dangerous is that?"

Hayworth continued, "I mean, I don't mean to be absurd about it. But I guess I can make the point of absurdity with an absurd point. I guess that would mean if you really had affection for your horse, I guess you could marry your horse."

Hayworth said the only way to keep marriage between a man and a woman is with a federal marriage amendment – which he supports.  CNN has contacted Hayworth's campaign for further comment on the former congressman's remarks.

Hayworth is challenging McCain in Arizona's upcoming Republican primary. His Web site bills him as "the consistent conservative." Hayworth often criticizes McCain as not being consistently conservative.

Filed under: 2010 • J.D. Hayworth • Popular Posts
  1. Randolph Carter, I'm no expert but....

Randolph Carter: Brain damage opens doors to voting Republican.

Have a nice day!

March 15, 2010 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. Todd

He's right. His argument against gay marriage is as absurd as someone marrying their horse. I'm sure McCain can rest easy knowing his competition is so ignorant.

March 15, 2010 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  3. Gary

The closest thing to sexual beastiality would have been Hayworths parents. Looks like the bore a real beast.
    As much as I hate McCain, this guy would be worst.

March 15, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  4. AZ Steve

This man is an embarssment to Arizona.

March 15, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  5. John

Hayworth: Gay marriage opens doors to bestiality

Yet more proof that Republicanism opens doors to ignorance and stupidity.

March 15, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  6. Equality for all

Hayworth: another homophobe, living in the closet, denying his own, true sexuality, and persecuting fellow Americans who are brave enough to love whom they love, openly.

March 15, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  7. Mike M

What a moron!

March 15, 2010 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  8. Chris

It looks like McCain should have no problem getting re-elected. Wow.

March 15, 2010 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  9. ThinkAgain

Hayworth is a real jack ... ss. More than half of marriages end in divorce, and the majority of those occur in so-called "Red" states.

No "marriage amendment" to the Constitution is going to change that.

Regarding gay marriage, there is absolutely no evidence that gay people are any more inclined to have sex outside their species than heterosexuals.

To the contrary, studies have shown that most people who engage in bestiality define themselves as "heterosexual."

March 15, 2010 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  10. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

That will not go over well with some people. I can understand where homosexuals would be insulted; have their partner be called a horse or less than human could be troublesome.

March 15, 2010 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  11. Duck Fallas

Hayworth has a lot of dang nerve insulting horses. Have you seen his wife?

March 15, 2010 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  12. AK Steve

Actually, if you go by recent news of Senate and Congress misconduct, it sounds like being elected leads to bestiality.

So if I were Hayworth, I would be worried about running for office. God forbid he wins – he'll be hanging out in bathroom stalls and tickling pages in no time.

Better not risk it dude – there are some hot looking thoroughbreds out there waiting for the next senator to take them for a ride.

March 15, 2010 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  13. Laverne

This is absolutely offensive to gays and should be offensive to all people. How in the world can you make the comparison of gays to animals? Arizona is a conservative state, but I don't think this will fly and I think the more the talks, he is handing the election over to John McCain.

March 15, 2010 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  14. Dr Matrix

It almost seems to be not worth commenting on this. But this moron is for real and as usual an embarassment to AZ, which is saying something.

March 15, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  15. Dennis, NY

This man must be a blithering idiot. I hope he gets elected. He will be perfect in a Palin Administration should that come to pass. For now I think I'll go home and marry my dog if I can find a County Clerk to perform the ceremony. We'll celebrate with a nice lamb shank and water.

March 15, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  16. Fano

This guys got a point.. the last time I did it with a horse.. it kinda hurt.

March 15, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  17. annie s

This level of bigotry disgusts me...as it should anyone with a brain and a heart. Our Constitution guarantees ALL of us equal protection under the law, yet these homophobes and fear mongers want to deny a segment of our population the same rights as others. It's disgraceful.

March 15, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  18. Justin - NC

Watch Mr. Hayworth come out as gay soon.

March 15, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  19. Anonymous

Wow, just Wow. I guess that hot desert air really dries up the brain cells, huh! Talk about absurd--this takes a few leaps into insane. And I was so-o-o-o hoping McCain would get his butt shown to the door. Something tells me this nutcase isn't going to do it. My Mom always told me that if I couldn't say something nice to reconsider, I wonder, did he think he was saying something nice??

March 15, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  20. Mike

Yes, Hayworth is really nailed it, we can't provide LGBT people equal protection under the law because people will use it as an excuse to marry their horses. An amazing intellect, there, we're lucky to have people like him in public service.

March 15, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  21. Threat

LOL, is he TRYING to lose the primary???

Dude, you can be a bigot, but you can't let EVERYONE know you're a bigot.

March 15, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  22. Dee G - CT Voter

WHAT?!? I can't even comprehend how this moron could connect gay marriage with bestiality! What a complete nutjob!

March 15, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  23. veep

that is Hilarious!!!

He should be in comedy, not politics.

of course, he's not serious, right?!

March 15, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  24. GI Joe

I guess he's seen so many republicans date women ugly enough to be dogs that he's afraid they will start to actually date real animal dogs. Republians are worried about a lot of things being found out these days - hmmmmmm

March 15, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  25. get real

Any bets on when Mr. Hayworth will be arrested within blocks of a gay bar on DUI charges on a Tuesday evening with a male companion in his car?

March 15, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |