March 15th, 2010

Hayworth: Gay marriage opens doors to bestiality

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/03/15/art.hayworth.file.gi.jpg caption ="J.D. Hayworth gave an interview Sunday to Florida radio station WORL, where he made comments about same-sex marriage."]Washington (CNN) - The man who wants to oust Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, is so worried about states allowing same-sex marriage, he fears it'll lead to bestiality.

At least that is what former Rep. J.D. Hayworth, R-Arizona, intimated Sunday in an interview with Orlando, Florida radio station WORL when discussing the decision in Massachusetts to recognize gay marriage.

"You see, the Massachusetts Supreme Court, when it started this move toward same-sex marriage, actually defined marriage," Hayworth said. "Now get this, it defined marriage as simply, quote, 'the establishment of intimacy.' Now how dangerous is that?"

Hayworth continued, "I mean, I don't mean to be absurd about it. But I guess I can make the point of absurdity with an absurd point. I guess that would mean if you really had affection for your horse, I guess you could marry your horse."

Hayworth said the only way to keep marriage between a man and a woman is with a federal marriage amendment – which he supports.  CNN has contacted Hayworth's campaign for further comment on the former congressman's remarks.

Hayworth is challenging McCain in Arizona's upcoming Republican primary. His Web site bills him as "the consistent conservative." Hayworth often criticizes McCain as not being consistently conservative.

Filed under: 2010 • J.D. Hayworth • Popular Posts
  1. Jon Krieger

I'm so embarassed to be from the same state,as THIS piece of work!J.D. Hayworth you and the horse you rode in on,get thr hell outta Arizona!!

March 15, 2010 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  2. SPTX

You sir are an idiot, and you need professional help.

Anyone who would vote for you after that stupid remark needs help too.

March 15, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  3. James from Columbia, MO

That's right, keep piling up that right-wing extremism, and see where it gets the Republican Party. Alienate every group but your shrinking white southern base, see how it works out for you.

Social Conservatism has not future in this country.

March 15, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  4. Russ

OMG.......Just when you think that Republicans have used every analogy they could to force their religious beliefs on marriage on Americans via the government, an idiot like Hayworth comes along and rewrites the definition of stupidity. I'm guessing he must know something about beastiality. Maybe someone needs to check his computer files. Besides he looks gay to me, but no man would probably want him. Maybe he owns a horse.

March 15, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  5. dave

the bible says it is "AN ABOMINATION"
    to eat pork
    to eat shellfish
    to wear clothes made out of both linen and cotton
    male homosexual sex
    sculpture, especially idols
    eating eagles, ospry or insects
    eating meat and dairy from the same plate

that is 7 things, why these right wing nut jobs only pick one

when is JD Hayworth going to start preaching about the evils of Red Lobster

March 15, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  6. jules sand-perkins

Hayworth makes it clear to us that he doesn't want to marry another man.
    I also don't want to marry another man.
    However, if two men or two women want to get married, it does affect me at all: it's their business, not mine.
    If some rare person wants to have sex with his dog or a horse, that's also not my business. It's also none of Hayworth's business.

March 15, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  7. Brad - Ohio

I fear that if Mr. Hayworth is elected, Arizona is headed for bestiality.

March 15, 2010 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  8. ShellyTx

With all do respect, he didn't say anything about bestiality as your misleading headline decries. He is making the point that the definition of marriage is far too broad once it's changed from "one man and one woman." You and I both know there are plenty of sick people out there who would indeed marry their pet.

March 15, 2010 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  9. rp9733a

Disgusting. If you want to live in a country where there's no separation of church and state, move to Iran. I hope the people of Arizona don't elect this bigot.

March 15, 2010 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  10. GOP = "I hoe he fails"

That's right J.D., the big bad gay boogy man is coming to get you. Be very afraid!!

Tell you what, why don't you get some nice guns to cuddle up with and curl up in a nice compound in Idaho.

March 15, 2010 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  11. PrettyAngel

I do believe in equality for all, but I'm sorry according to God's law homosexuality is a sin. I do not believe in same sex marriage at all and especially when an innocent child is brought into to it. Same sex marriage should not be allowed in this entire world, it's sick.

March 15, 2010 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  12. Tom Abt

He calls himself the "consistent conservative", with statements like this I'd like to nominate him as being consistently retarded. Really, allowing same sex marriage is going to be the gateway to marrying Trigger?

March 15, 2010 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  13. Dalton

I am no proponent of gay marriage and I vehemently oppose gay couples adopting kids but this guy sounds like a certified loon. If the tea party supports this guy they are going to be quickly seen as the party of intolerance which is no way to attract the young voters they will need to sustain their movement over an extended period of time

March 15, 2010 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  14. tensor

It's always sad when those on the taxpayer dole actively seek to make the world a worse place. Who is bankrolling this thick-necked ignoramus?

March 15, 2010 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  15. Marie MD

I never thought I would say this, but this guy is 1000 times worse than mccain. AZ republicans need to vote for mccain then whatever democrat runs against him.
    This guy sounds like he should be living in the days of when the Bible was "written".

March 15, 2010 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  16. Steve

Ah, the "where is the line going to be drawn?" slippery slope argument. Its interesting how its okay for the GOP to openly discriminate against homosexuals. If someone told me I couldn't marry the person I love because of something I couldn't help, I would be furious.

March 15, 2010 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  17. Josiah

FREAK! – look America has decided to move on & is realizing it's time to vote out these idiots – across the board (& he's trying to win an election with this – this is worse than McCan't remember what he used to stand for) – America is young and vibrant and these hold-overs from the 40's and 50's / segregationists / cold war era types / stupid ignorant grandpa's are a thing of the past – they have no place in directing the future of this country – they've had their moment in time to ruin their bitter little lives and now it's over – these crazy notions and out-dated rhetoric are a hold-over from the early to mid 1900's – I'm guessing when this freak was a boy and now he can only mimic the brainwashing BS jargon he heard as a kid and that the RepubliCONS hold so close as an ideal – America has moved past this idea that you allow gay marriage and the door is immediately open to sex with animals – the psychological implications of even making this statement reveal his total hatred and disdain for gay Americans.

March 15, 2010 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  18. Norm

What!! I have quit spending my family's vacation money in Arizona, I don't care if the Grand Canyon is there! From the border watcher nuts to this guy, I have come to the conclusion that this state is full of crazy idiots. Bestiality?? John McCain is a good guy, and I was very interested in voting for him although I'm traditionally a Democrat, until he chose Palin for a running mate. The good, intelligent voters of Arizona need to send a message to this nut job. Norm from Albuquerque

March 15, 2010 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  19. wafufu

Wow watch out republicans JD thinks you should keep it in the airport stalls.....

March 15, 2010 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  20. Susan, AZ

please don't give this hater more limelight......
    i love the repub primary in AZ. McCain is getting what he did in the general elections. Hayworth is in for a nasty campaign.

March 15, 2010 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  21. Paul

Your horse can't sign a marraige contract you moron

March 15, 2010 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  22. Hurley

What an idiot. If this fool can't see that there's a difference between love between two people and bestiality, then he doesn't even deserve to be listened to anymore. Having such an argument made is humiliating to the party he's respresenting.

Why is it that the party that's supposedly in favor of limiting government meddling in your life is always the one that's trying to limit people's freedoms? There's a big disconnect.

The Republican party ran out of intellectual ammo a long time ago, when they decided to turn theocratic. And they're also out of talent if this clown is considered a viable candidate.

March 15, 2010 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  23. David G

Gay Marriage is going to lead to the acceptance of Beastiality? What Planet is this guy from. The man is a total idiot. Where do they find these Republican NUT Jobs????

March 15, 2010 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  24. Ky

This guy must have daily lunch with M Bachman

March 15, 2010 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  25. Brett from Oriskany,VA

People like Hayworth,Palin,Limbaugh,Beck and their kind scare the heck out of me. Someone called these people the American Taliban and the label fits. "Fundamentalism" is destroying Islam, tearing apart Christianity and causing havoc in Judaism. Simply, these religions have lost their connection with God and in an effort to revitalize themselves are abandoning the love, tolerance and compassion shown by the great world religions. These fundamentalist politicians, be they Hayworth or Mullah Omar think that they can legislate morality. I was born in 1945, and it seems America has gotten a lot dumber in the last 30 years, to believe and listen to people who base their world view on a system that is 3,500+ years old. God's laws(as we see them) change as man changes. 500 years ago, Copernicus and Galileo were deemed heretics because they expounded a sun centered universe. But that was eventually accepted, although 160 years ago Darwin's revelations are still denied by these fundamentalist. Homosexuality is a fact of life,it has existed as long as man has and exists in the natural world also. This is where God's word is written, in the unity of His creation, not in books written by man. Of course, Hayworth would have me marry my horse, and what of my dogs, who I also love. Love and sex are too very different things. Love is a feeling of connectedness with divine Unity and something our fundamentalist friends lack.

March 15, 2010 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |