March 15th, 2010

Hayworth: Gay marriage opens doors to bestiality

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/03/15/art.hayworth.file.gi.jpg caption ="J.D. Hayworth gave an interview Sunday to Florida radio station WORL, where he made comments about same-sex marriage."]Washington (CNN) - The man who wants to oust Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, is so worried about states allowing same-sex marriage, he fears it'll lead to bestiality.

At least that is what former Rep. J.D. Hayworth, R-Arizona, intimated Sunday in an interview with Orlando, Florida radio station WORL when discussing the decision in Massachusetts to recognize gay marriage.

"You see, the Massachusetts Supreme Court, when it started this move toward same-sex marriage, actually defined marriage," Hayworth said. "Now get this, it defined marriage as simply, quote, 'the establishment of intimacy.' Now how dangerous is that?"

Hayworth continued, "I mean, I don't mean to be absurd about it. But I guess I can make the point of absurdity with an absurd point. I guess that would mean if you really had affection for your horse, I guess you could marry your horse."

Hayworth said the only way to keep marriage between a man and a woman is with a federal marriage amendment – which he supports.  CNN has contacted Hayworth's campaign for further comment on the former congressman's remarks.

Hayworth is challenging McCain in Arizona's upcoming Republican primary. His Web site bills him as "the consistent conservative." Hayworth often criticizes McCain as not being consistently conservative.

Filed under: 2010 • J.D. Hayworth • Popular Posts
  1. BB

OMG!!!!!!! What a bigotted idiot!!!

March 15, 2010 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  2. cspurgeon

Wow a senile angry old man and a whacko. What a choice in Arizona.

March 15, 2010 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  3. Jean

Wow, what a nutcase. McCain should have no problem winning his primary. Though I hope enough wackos come out and vote for Hayworth because if he won, it would be guaranteed that a Democrat would take McCain's seat. There are enough true conservatives what wouldn't vote for such a crackpot.

March 15, 2010 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  4. They call me "tater salad"

Where do these fools keep coming from?.........Man do we need help in this country!......What's this idiot gonna come up with next? Bestiality leads to sex with house plants???GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!

March 15, 2010 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  5. chris in Austin

What a dipstick!!

March 15, 2010 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  6. christopher (hartford, ct)

Hayworth is clearly an idiot. Marriage of any kind in this country requires adult consent including a signed license and witnesses. It's why we don't have legal arranged marriages in this country. It's why we don't have legal marriages between 50 yr old men and 11 year old girls. It's why a person couldn't legally marry their favorite animal. Bottom line: heterosexual people shouldn't be afraid that homosexual marriage would "cheapen" their marriage, because it doesn't apply to them. John Edwards cheating on his wife doesn't have any affect on my marriage, and neither would Liz Cheney getting married.

March 15, 2010 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  7. Kathryn

And sode pop will turn children into serial killers! OMG!

March 15, 2010 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  8. Max

If I were gay I would not consider resorting to beastiality and having sex with J.D Hayworth, that would be wrong. Having sex with that pig should be illegal.

March 15, 2010 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  9. upsidedown

CNN, shame, shame. It appears what he said was actually tempered and a simple challenge to the decision's logic. I don't know much about Hayworth so I won't defend him. But CNN is clearly irked at him and wants to make him look like a do-do with such a headline. They clearly want him to look like a religious nut.

March 15, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  10. doug, fairbanks, alaska

Mr. Hayworth...your comments themselves are absurd!

March 15, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  11. P

I am shocked (picture my shocked face) that CNN would twist someones words so out of context to further their own views. Nah, I guess I am really not all that shocked. That is the only way CNN "journalists" write anything.

March 15, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  12. T'SAH from Virginia

WHOOP – you're in trouble!!!! A HORSE???? You just crowned McCAIN the winner.

"...." Hayworth often criticizes McCain as not being consistently conservative...*

I guess REAL conservatives think about BESTIALITY!!

March 15, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  13. They call me "tater salad"

With this wack-job as an opponent ,McCain has nothing to worry about in November!........What a loon!

March 15, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  14. Mike the Libertarian

Look at that haircut......you can tell he is a jerk.

That being said....your headline is a bit of a stretch CNN. He even says that he is being absurd when he talks of marrying a horse....your headline makes it sound like he stated that gay marriage would lead to bestiality. I know.....no quote marks in the headline covers you......but you clearly know what impression you were trying to make.....and it was not one based on the true facts.

All of that being said, the whole gay marriage debate is insane. Two men or women partnered up are an "insult to the institution of marriage"?!?! What about Britney Spears or every other hollywood star who married on a whim or were married for 2 weeks? Where is the indignation about Vegas weddings in general?!?! This is why I have dumped the Republicans for good. They are not the fiscal conservatives they claim to be. And the moral conservatives....like this guy...are a bunch of uptight, repressed control freaks who want to tell everyone else how to behave "morally". Plus half of them are closet freaks themselves...so add hypocrisy to the above description.

March 15, 2010 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  15. Marty, FL

So Hayworth doesn't mean to be absurd by saying something absurd to justify his absurdity??Unbelievable.

Please keep Hayworth's antiquated, divisive & unsubstantiated nonsense out of our city...and our government.

March 15, 2010 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  16. Mike in CO

I think JD is revealing his hidden desires toward his horse.

March 15, 2010 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  17. Teh Gay's DJ Hayworth Rocks!

JD Hayworth is an ignorant, lying, fear-mongering bigot.

March 15, 2010 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  18. Greg

Oh, my! This is an elected official? What were his constituents thinking?

March 15, 2010 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  19. Richard S

This seems to indicate just how perverted he is, rather than that gay marriage will lead to bestiality.

March 15, 2010 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  20. Eric in Atlanta

WOW....what an idiot!

March 15, 2010 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  21. Carlos

I mean, I don't mean to be absurd about it, but something tells me J.D. Hayworth is repressing certain feelings and we might just catch him playing footsie in an airport men's room someday.

March 15, 2010 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  22. Roberto

This guy is completely STUPID. I just can't believe it. And this is someone who represents his constitutents. IF he win, he will get paid with taxes that comes from gay people.
    Which century is he living? Not only that to compare humans with animals?

March 15, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  23. Mike D. in San Diego

...a brainless argument by a brainless man. Fiscal conservatism I understand, but this discriminatory Naziesque language is a threat to the freedoms we all enjoy. Gay marriage is not an absurdity and is currently being practiced in several countries around the world that certainly seem to have a better grasp of freedom than the United States. These "I guess you could marry your horse" fear tactics have been used before to discriminate against blacks and women. When gays are finally recognized as full citizens in this country, the far right wing will simply find a new group to discriminate against with the same lame "logic."

March 15, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  24. Mr. Meteoritical

Empty words from a bigot who will probably come out of the closet as gay – like most repressed Republicans. Or he'll get caught in an airport bathroom toe-tapping for service.

March 15, 2010 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  25. Jeff in Virginia

This is not a surprise. Conservatives have been trying to equate homosexual sexual intercourse with animal sex for a long time.

Nobody is advocating for somebody to have the right to marry a horse.

This is a straw-man argument. I wish that CNN would call it for what it is instead of taking the easy road of presenting this idiocy in the typical "he-said-she-said" format.

March 15, 2010 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |