April 9th, 2010

Obama brushes off Palin on nuclear deal

(CNN) - President Obama on Friday brushed off criticism from Sarah Palin that his agreement with Russia to restrict the use of nuclear weapons amounts to a dangerous sign of weakness.

"I really have no response," the president said tersely in an interview on ABC's Good Morning America. "Because last I checked, Sarah Palin's not much of an expert on nuclear issues."

Speaking on Fox News earlier this week, Palin said the recently negotiated treaty with Russia - seeking a reduction in the number of nuclear weapons held by the two countries - is an "unbelievable" move and that "no administration in America's history I think would ever have considered such a step."

"It's kinda like getting out in the playground, a bunch of kids ready to fight, and one of the kids saying 'go ahead, punch me in the face, I am not going to retaliate, go ahead and do what you want to with me,'" Palin said.

Obama said Friday: "I would say to them is that if the secretary of defense and the chairman of the Joints Chiefs of Staff are comfortable with it, I'm probably going to take my advice from them and not from Sarah Palin."

The treaty requires approval from two-thirds of the Senate to go into effect. Some of the chamber's Republicans, including Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, have indicated that they are not ready to support the deal.

"The Senate will assess whether or not the agreement is verifiable, whether it reduces our nation's ability to defend itself and our allies from the threat of nuclear armed missiles, and whether or not this administration is committed to preserving our own nuclear triad," McConnell said in a statement.

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. jenifer johnson

Sarah Palin could not even do or finish her job as Governor and clearly she's only an expert in bilking millions out of the hard earned money so she's not stupid in selling a swamp to the people, she's laughing all the way to the bank!!

April 9, 2010 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  2. KJ

kids on a playground. that's what palin thinks nuclear disarmament is all about.

that says it all.

April 9, 2010 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  3. Dan

Dear Mrs. Palin...What would Jesus do if you punched him in the face? Retaliate?

April 9, 2010 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  4. LizinStLouis

I totally agree with President Obama's comments. Last time I checked Palin was no expert in anything including domestic issues/policies leave alone foreign ones. At times listening to her can be so annoying..or is it just me? Palin comes out as plain stupid or rather too ignorant. She tries to appear and sound smart which SHE IS NOT! She should shut up and let the experts do the talking...

April 9, 2010 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  5. Rahul

"No administration in America's history...would ever have considered such a step..."

Except Ronald Reagan's, who proposed what would later become the START I treaty aimed at reducing the nuclear arsenals of both nations...

April 9, 2010 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  6. tom v

Ok are we fighting with Russia? What other countries are on the school ground that have nuclear weapons.

I thing that our arsenal after the treaty is met is still enough to obliterate the entire planet. Deterant force is met if both parties reduce.

Now I do agree the Senate needs to answer two if the three questions (honestly) Verifiableand ability to defend.

Why are people like Sara Palin so interested in scaring he bejesus out of everyone. Just cause it worked for Bush doesnt mean it is going to work for them...Republicans need a new stratagy that works, its disapointing to see a political party so off track that they think they need to scare us to vote for them..

April 9, 2010 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  7. T'SAH from Virginia

OMG – is this CHICK for REAL??? The statement alone sounds like a CHILD said it!!! Thank you Mr. President for NOT taking advice from a pre-school child!!

Isn't this the same dream the Godfather of the RepubliCAN'Ts had when he was president – REAGAN????? All of a sudden now, it is no longer a DREAM because it is coming from President Obama!!!

April 9, 2010 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  8. CT

Give me a break .. WHo listens to Sarah "loser" Palin anyway? Obama is doing the right thing, ignor the war mongering idiots....

April 9, 2010 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  9. TheTruthForOnce, NOT BS

Palin: How about Regan and Gorbachev. (and actually I supported what Regan did). So either your history lesson was missing something the day they taught that in school to you or you are just absent minded or you just have no functioning brain cells.

April 9, 2010 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  10. guest

Is Palin even trying anymore? Or is it that she needs to hire a ghost reader, to go along with her ghost writer? Her interpretation of this agreement - the schoolyard comparison - is that of a functional illiterate.

April 9, 2010 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  11. lucy

No president except Reagan and Bush I – where do these strange people come from? This is the most uneducated, ill-inforrmed electorate since people without property were allowed to vote. We need to improve education!

April 9, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  12. bill

The President's comment that Palin is not an expert on "nuclear negotiations is an understatement.

She is not an expert on anything other than running her mouth to make noise and to make her wealthy.

The ultraconservative right and Palin are guaranteed to make a losing team for the Republicans.

April 9, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  13. mar

Perfect response Mr. President. I don't know how all of a sudden this woman is an expert on everything....everything she does/says is for money and fame.

April 9, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  14. Derek from Medford, MA

Really? Kids on the playground? That was the analogy she used? And it wasn't even an accurate analogy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but America will still have the most nukes on the planet. So, If America is suppose to be the kid she's describing, the accurate response would be:

"If you punch me in the face, I can still knock your whole family out."

April 9, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  15. Jeremy Miller

Typical Obama – And I don't really like Palin either, but she makes a comment on policy, and he attacks her personally. He seems more and more like a petty, immature boy. He couldn’t just leave it at, “I have no comment.” The statement about the joint chiefs and SECDEF was enough. But no, the slimy politician in him has to take a jab at another person. And I don’t want to hear anything about slimy Palin, because that’s not what this article is about. Attack her for her sliminess in another article; I’m sure there are plenty of opportunities.

April 9, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  16. johnny

sarah palin is such an ignorant fool. she needs to disappear. i am so sick of hearing about her. she cannot even name 1 magazine that she reads. she probably does not know how to read. go away, sarah!!!!!

April 9, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  17. Joy

The media does a great dis-service by ALWAYS focusing on the negative about everything. Lost are the days when the media focused on the facts

Politics has become an extremely ugly business and the media fans the flames. As a result, all of the negativity is pulling our country apart.

When do you think we as Americans can pull it together and work together again one nation under God?

We are in a sad state of affairs.

April 9, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  18. Jason

I am so disappointed. When the article said Obama Hits Back At Palin, I was hoping he had punched her in the face.

April 9, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  19. ayesha

Sarah Palin just continues to prove that she not only has no grasp of our current reality, but she doesn't know much about our history either. It was her hero Ronald Reagan who spoke of the to annihilation of nuclear weapons.
    From his inaugural speech in 1985:
    There is only one way safely and legitimately to reduce the cost of national security, and that is to reduce the need for it. And this we are trying to do in negotiations with the Soviet Union. We are not just discussing limits on a further increase of nuclear weapons. We seek, instead, to reduce their number. We seek the total elimination one day of nuclear weapons from the face of the Earth. 32
    Now, for decades, we and the Soviets have lived under the threat of mutual assured destruction; if either resorted to the use of nuclear weapons, the other could retaliate and destroy the one who had started it. Is there either logic or morality in believing that if one side threatens to kill tens of millions of our people, our only recourse is to threaten killing tens of millions of theirs?

Will someone tell Sarah she is embarrassing herself.

April 9, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  20. aware

I'd bet on Obama's brand of wisdom over Palin's any day.
    Palin tends to perpetuate a fundamentalist mindset that only serves to divide.

April 9, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  21. MikeWall

I'm not quite sure what disgusts me more about this idiot Palin – her ignorance or her unmitigated (it's a word Sarah, look it up if you know how to use a dictionary) gall in stating her laughable opinions about ANYTHING! I still have NO idea why the press keeps covering her -but, then again I never understand why they cover Paris Hilton either! Neither has been a productive member of our society in their lives!

April 9, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  22. concern over Palin

Is Sarah Palin sick with multiple party disorder? Reagan(thier HERO) reduced nuclear arms by 30% the Same that Obama Did.......She is beyond an idot and anybody who thinks she will be president either shops at wal-mart or has many issues........

April 9, 2010 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  23. lolo

Good for you Mr.President. This woman has no knowledge of anything. She is only good at telling lies and causing seperation in America. I bet that her followers are not questioning her motives for running over to Canada for Drugs and medical care. Of course they will say that is did not happen. What does that say about how she feels about health care in the U.S. She is definitely a crackpot. She needs to understand that you are the President and she is just an entertainer. You are on the inside of our country affairs and she is on the outside looking in. Ms. I see Russia from my house. Karma will soon get rid of her. This woman ain't nothing but the devil in disguise.Using references to Christian values to line her pockets with money. I really feel sorry for her family.

April 9, 2010 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  24. Gordon Shumway

As a novice President, Obama is not much of an expert either. Hopefully, he won't be in office too long,.

April 9, 2010 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  25. Joseph

It's unfortunate that Obama has to acknowledge Palin's comments because it lowers him to her level. He didn't need to do it, but sometimes, it does feel good to just call it like it is, as Obama did.

April 9, 2010 10:03 am at 10:03 am |