April 9th, 2010

Obama brushes off Palin on nuclear deal

(CNN) - President Obama on Friday brushed off criticism from Sarah Palin that his agreement with Russia to restrict the use of nuclear weapons amounts to a dangerous sign of weakness.

"I really have no response," the president said tersely in an interview on ABC's Good Morning America. "Because last I checked, Sarah Palin's not much of an expert on nuclear issues."

Speaking on Fox News earlier this week, Palin said the recently negotiated treaty with Russia - seeking a reduction in the number of nuclear weapons held by the two countries - is an "unbelievable" move and that "no administration in America's history I think would ever have considered such a step."

"It's kinda like getting out in the playground, a bunch of kids ready to fight, and one of the kids saying 'go ahead, punch me in the face, I am not going to retaliate, go ahead and do what you want to with me,'" Palin said.

Obama said Friday: "I would say to them is that if the secretary of defense and the chairman of the Joints Chiefs of Staff are comfortable with it, I'm probably going to take my advice from them and not from Sarah Palin."

The treaty requires approval from two-thirds of the Senate to go into effect. Some of the chamber's Republicans, including Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, have indicated that they are not ready to support the deal.

"The Senate will assess whether or not the agreement is verifiable, whether it reduces our nation's ability to defend itself and our allies from the threat of nuclear armed missiles, and whether or not this administration is committed to preserving our own nuclear triad," McConnell said in a statement.

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. tim k

can you image her finger on the football.

April 9, 2010 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  2. Brain Doc

I appreciate our president for maintaining poise in the face of such idiocy.

God bless.

April 9, 2010 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  3. Joel

"No administration in America's history" would've considered this, Sarah? Not quite. I hear James K. Polk wavered a bit on his nuclear policy, but when his advisers informed him the Manhattan Project wouldn't start for another 90 years, he amended his stance.

April 9, 2010 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  4. tess

this has got to be the most thin-skinned person ever to sit in the oval office. if you don't agree with him on everything he swats back like he's swatting flys! what arrogance and pettiness – certainly not worthy of a president! COME ON 2010 !!!!!!!!

April 9, 2010 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  5. Jason F.

Dear Mrs. Palin:

International nuclear weapons policies are not like kids fighting on the playground. Not even "kinda like."

April 9, 2010 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  6. WP

hmmm...didn't Reagan try to reduce nuclear weapons too?

April 9, 2010 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  7. Randy, San Francisco

President Obama is correct about Palin's lack of expertise on nuclear arms control. Her simplistic talking points and sound bites are obviously aimed at an audience that listens to conservative talk radio and watches FOX news. America can only hope that GOP Senators will approach the treaty without the usual political rancor or partisanship.

April 9, 2010 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  8. call me crazy

I got news for Sarah. When it comes to the defense of our nation regarding nuclear weapons, her credibility is somewhere between nil and zero. Because she acts like she has some say in this matter only shows her arrogance.

Whats more dangerous than someone that doesn't know what they're doing? Is someone that doesn't know what they're doing, but thinks they do.

April 9, 2010 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  9. Jim, San Antonio

Palin's not an expert on anything that matters.

April 9, 2010 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  10. Canadian

I just love the response from the President. She is just not worth it!!

April 9, 2010 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  11. michael armstrong sr.

Sara is an exspert on Russia she watches every move they make from her bedroom window .

April 9, 2010 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  12. gary

Like obozo is an authority on anything? This clown thinks we have at least 57 states in the union while his dumber vp biden thinks 'jobs' is a three letter word. Obozo is proof that affirmative action does not work. He's never worked a day in his life in the private sector and wouldn't know anything about economics if he tried. Palin is so much smarter than this clown that it's not even funny.

April 9, 2010 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  13. El Gordo

What Sarah Palin says has absolutely no relationship to the truth. This lady is a pathological liar. She reminds me of Nixon, except she looks much better and her IQ is about 50 points lower.

April 9, 2010 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  14. Marco V

Let's see Reagan wanted to get rid of all nuclear weapons...and another point is we have enough firepower to destroy any country with out having to use nukes. Once again she has shown what an idiot she is.

April 9, 2010 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  15. Brad

So the Republicans would like to keep a healthy nuclear arsenal hmm? Because reductions in that arsenal would only let us blow up the world three times over, instead of four! .... I'm a pretty staunch moderate, but I have to say that at this point it just looks like a lot of sour grapes from many in the Republic party.

I confess to not knowing a heck of a lot about former SALT and START treaties but surely in the past there must have been bi-partisan support for reduced tensions associated with nuclear arms and Russia! I'm also curious to see what the Russian media thinks right now. I find it ironic that it's in America where there is more opposition to nuclear arms reducation as opposed to Russia!

April 9, 2010 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  16. Preston

His response is perfect. She is an incomparable fool. Check that. She is not incomparable, because she's got a lot of competition among her Republican friends in Congress

April 9, 2010 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  17. Renata

Obama is right. Palin reminds me of a know-it-all blue collar idiot running her mouth.

April 9, 2010 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  18. John

God help us if Palin ever gets access to the red button.

April 9, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  19. Sniffit

"'go ahead, punch me in the face, I am not going to retaliate, go ahead and do what you want to with me,'

Not terribly good with analogies, is she? It's more like promising to retaliate by punching them in the face instead of promising to spray their house with an Uzi while driving by. But hey, who cares right? Why would she need to be accurate at all? She's got a gaggle of gargantuan goofballs groveling over every groundless gob of garbledigook she grunts. Who cares about accuracy when you have a sea of angry, racist, religo-fascist tribal lemmings swallowing your every statement like it's scripture. And no, I'm not even making fun of the Teatards yet...they basically do that on their own. I'm talking about the freekin' media, which appears to be completely incapable of distinguishing serious, meritorious argument from cartoonish tripe that belongs, at best, in a coloring book.

April 9, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  20. Kraig Rasool

Obama's response to Palin's rant is the exactly key and to the point...
    Palin isnt qualified to teach a bird to sing.It is scary to see how many
    americans sit back and actually listen to the things that come out
    of her mouth and approve of her...I along with the rest of the world outside the US view Palin as a broken doll on a thrift shop shelf.

April 9, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  21. Daniel So Cal

I think Sarah is a good cheerleader for the Republican party, but on world policy or any policy for that matter, her oversimplification of subjects to folksy statements just makes her look silly. I know she means well, but, if she really cared about the United States, she would have finished out her term in Alaska. As I see it, she's only helped her own financial situation since leaving as governor-oh, and also the comedians of the world.

April 9, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  22. cm

This women has a 3rd grade education and needs to keep her hillbilly mouth SHUT. It's kinda like-ha ha ha- if this is not a dumb lady I do not want to see one. Take your behind back to the mountains.

April 9, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  23. Markus

Funny that Sarah Palin loves Reagan so much, but then fails to realize that his administration signed a treaty to reduce nuclear arms by 1/3 as well. Selective memory is fun, and so very useful when you have no real points to stand on.

April 9, 2010 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  24. Cliff

She's an idiot.

April 9, 2010 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  25. Anne P. CA

Love Obama's comment! Like I'd trust Palin with any sort of nuclear decision! Yes, she needs to stick within her area of familiarity....kids...and she doesn't do too well on that front either. Now, go make some cookies, Sarah, your kids are calling. Please keep your ignorant shrill down for the rest of us.

April 9, 2010 10:14 am at 10:14 am |