April 19th, 2010

Ex-RNC member knocks Republicans in launching House bid

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/04/05/art.rnc.gi.jpg caption ="Sean Mahoney resigned from the RNC in protest last month and is launching a bid for Congress in New Hampshire."](CNN) - The former Republican National Committee member who resigned his post in protest after a high-profile spending scandal is embarking on a run for Congress in New Hampshire – and he's attacking his own party in the process.

Though his entry into the race against Democratic Rep. Carol Shea-Porter was expected, Portsmouth businessman Sean Mahoney officially joined the crowded GOP field on Monday with a Web video attacking not just Shea-Porter, but also the Republican Party that he claims "abandoned" him.

Mahoney, who resigned from the RNC earlier this month, is seen in the video giving a speech to Granite State Republicans.

"I'm not here to just cast aspersions on the Democrats," he says in the video, "because quite frankly, I'm a member of the Republican Party. But the Republicans are just as to blame for some of the mess we're in right now. Over the last 10 years, my Republican Party abandoned me as a conservative."

In a letter to RNC Chairman Michael Steele on April 6, Mahoney stepped down as one New Hampshire's three national committee members and blasted the party for demonstrating "a complete lack of respect for RNC donors" by spending money on private planes, car services and "high-priced junkets."

The RNC has succumbed to "the out-of-touch, free-spending culture of Washington," he said in the letter, sent to Steele after it was revealed the committee funded an outing at a sex-themed Hollywood night club.

Three Republicans are already gunning to unseat Shea-Porter: Frank Guinta, Rich Ashooh and Bob Bestani.

Filed under: 2010 • New Hampshire • RNC • Sean Mahoney
  1. Jim in NM

Both parties love the Khazars, the wealth and the power and hate America, its Constitution and its patriotic people. Real Americans will vote independent. The American people are the American government, and the elected officials are to serve the people. Elected officials are not the government at all.

April 19, 2010 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  2. Gil

The hate from the right continues to flow and this time towards their own. What is the saying about "Eating their own?" I love it! Keep it up and your hopes of 2010 will be history. We already know the history of what the last 8 years of the bush administration have brought us to!

April 19, 2010 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  3. Ken

Being represented by the RINO’s Collins and Snow, and having cringed through the Bush free spending years, I hope the Republican Party recognizes that by trying to be “liberal light” they have earned the disrespect of their supporters. Having said that, the Democrats have certainly proven that they are the greater of two evils, and are not to be trusted with power. I hope we see many more conservatives running for office. The people are waking up to the fact that un-checked and unsustainable government spending in Congress will have the exact same result here that it had in Venezuela, Greece, Argentina, Russia, Great Brittan, Italy, Spain and dozens of other “Great Nations” throughout history. Who know that Obama’s “Yes We Can” brainless chant for the masses would ultimately mean yes we can bring this nation into insolvency?

April 19, 2010 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  4. Bubba

He's the only REAL conservative in the world. No one else is good enough. Yeah, right.

April 19, 2010 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  5. shucks

The republican party attacking it's own. As the radical fringe of the right wing of the republican party continues to take hold of the party, it will strangle all of the moderate republicans out of the running. So, all we will be left with is a party of angry white men, manufactured hate, and bibles and guns. They will never see elected office.

April 19, 2010 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  6. Mike Brooks

Welcome to the club. I'm a Democrat, someone whop campaigned for Obama and on behalf of other Democratic candidates, and I recently realized my party abandoned me, too. Seeing Geithner over on India, trumping jobs outsourcing, watching Obama trade U.S. jobs to China to buy their lukewarm cooperation in isolating Iran, watching the elected officials in my party take so much Wall Street money that it is obscene, has made me sick to my stomach. Let me tell you, I am in contact with lots of former campaign workers and not one of us is going to vote for ANY Democratic candidate. The 2010 election is a vote on free trade and nothing else. Both major parties are free traitors and not one of them deserve to be re-elected. Go Tea Party!

April 19, 2010 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  7. dblzap

Its sad when a member of the GOP has to criticize his own party to beat the democrat.

But after the Bush hunta I can understand

April 19, 2010 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  8. Jonathan Burton

Mahoney is doing what alot of conservative office seekers hopefully will do, and that is denounce the absurdity of their party.
    This nation is headed to the center with the rise of more and more independant voters. Polls indicate as many as 40% of voters call themselves (I).
    My wish is for the republican party to continue on its path of marginalization.

April 19, 2010 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  9. CSM

... just "some" of the mess?!?!... yeah... try MOST of it!

April 19, 2010 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  10. ron

Good for him. He is absolutely correct that both parties have moved into a Twilight Zone where they do whatever they please with no regard for what we actually want.

April 19, 2010 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  11. Dale

"The Republican Party abandoned me." <- I feel the same way. I am now an independent because the Repbublican party no longer does what they say, upholds principles, puts "what is right" before "what is politically expedient" etc. They claim Christian Values, and support torture and unnecessary wars. They claim fiscal conservativism and spend like drunken sailors. They claim "Country First" and sabotage congress and Obama for political reasons. Their under-mining Obama has hit new lows. The Republicans "want Obama to fail" even if that means the whole country goes down.

April 19, 2010 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  12. SCOT

Not surprising. You really need to have drunk A LOT of Kool-Aid
    not to see the Republican Party of today for the sad bunch of dopes that they are. I'm amazed that the paid help on FOX can even keep a straight face these days.

April 19, 2010 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  13. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Good Lawd!! They are crunching and munching on each other!! What a catastrophe. NOT.

That splashing sound you hear nationwide, are {R}ats jumping ship. They are NOT very good swimmers!

April 19, 2010 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  14. chuck- Tulsa

"Over the last 10 years, my Republican Party abandoned me as a conservative."

How about abandoned all rational thought?

April 19, 2010 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  15. AndyBlue

Pushing lies over the past 1 1/2 years didnt work. All the repugs have left is turning on each other.

"I am more conservative (religiously extreme) then they are" seems to be the current trend among repugs attackiing each other.

I will take the common sense of the Democrats anyday over these hypocrites who cater to wall street for contributions (bribes) rather than serving the people that actually put them in office.

There are still many more pro-war, pro-torture, pro-rich only obstructionists to vote out this November.

And I dont know anyone who associates themselves with the tea parties of ignorance, fear and falsehoods who protested the very month Obama took office. Nothing but a Sour Grapes Pro-Palin crowd.

April 19, 2010 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  16. Lynda/Minnesota

__________________________________

I abandonded the Republican Party in 2004, and haven't looked back since.

Thanks, Mahoney, for publicly stating what so many of us ex-republican – moderates – have been saying for a long time now.

April 19, 2010 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  17. RINO

GIven the choice between a cut taxes and spend Republican admin and a tax and spend Dem admin this RINO voted in 2008 for tax and spend, and got cut taxes and spend.

You can't win!

April 19, 2010 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  18. ted

Why not tell the GOP to go to hell and become a Democrat?

April 19, 2010 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  19. Siara

moderate Republicans who think for yourselves: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE take your party back. America needs you.

April 19, 2010 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  20. Rob

Remember, remember the second of November,
    the Tea Party members will vote.
    Throw out the progressives and then the pretender,
    and bring back our freedom and hope.

April 19, 2010 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  21. Who will CNN vote for?

You're kidding! What's this guy gonna run on? If elected, I promise to be every bit as selfish and irresponsible as I was in Hawaii.

Man, it just gets weirder and weirder...

April 19, 2010 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  22. Paul Ernest Show

I guess after all the lies and denials by Republicans, they always admit their culpability in this economic mess we are in. He even stressed "10years". That is an honest assessment of his party's failure in good government. Republicans have sponsored the Tea Party to be disruptive and distort the fact that George Bush screwed up this nation and passed a sinking ship to the present president to rescue. Like my bible says "All truth shall be revealed. This is about truth and admission.

April 19, 2010 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  23. Ron in California

Shades of Arlen Spector...disloyal to the party. Stay in and make changes from within...this kind of stuff gives the Obamacrats fodder.

April 19, 2010 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  24. Dano

This is bad news for the GOP but pretty much what I expected. Those with moderate views have all been expelled, now all you have is the Sarah Palins and other hard-right bible thumpers in control. I predict the GOP will be taking a hard look at itself in the near future and shedding some of the extremist views if they want to stay relevent.

April 19, 2010 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |