April 30th, 2010

Natl. Poll: More favor than oppose Arizona immigration law

Washington (CNN) - Nearly four in ten Americans support Arizona's new immigration law while three in ten say they oppose it, according to a new national poll.

A Gallup survey released Thursday indicates that 39 percent of the public says from they know or have heard about the new law, they support it, with 30 percent opposed and 31 percent saying they have not heard of the new law or have no opinion.

The poll was conducted April 27-28. Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed the legislation into law on April 23. The law requires immigrants to carry their alien registration documents at all times and requires police to question people if there is reason to suspect they are in the United States illegally. The measure also makes it a state crime to live in or travel through Arizona illegally. The laws has ignited protests in the state and across the country and some are urging economic boycotts of Arizona.

According to the survey, nearly eight out of ten Americans have heard about the law. Of those, 51 percent support the measure and 39 percent oppose the law.

The poll suggests a partisan divide, with 27 percent of Democrats supporting the law, 45 percent opposed and nearly three out of ten not hearing of the new measure or undecided. Sixty-two percent of Republicans questioned say they favor the law, with 14 percent opposed and 24 percent unaware of the measure or undecided. Thirty-seven percent of Independents say they support the law, with 29 percent opposed and one in three not hearing about the new measure or unsure.

"That gap is a reflection of how Democrats and Republicans feel about illegal immigrants themselves, not just the new law," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "In a March CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll, two-thirds of Democrats said they sympathized with illegal immigrants and their families. Only four in ten Republicans said they felt that way."

The Gallup poll was conducted by telephone, with 1,013 national adults questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus four percentage points.

Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Poll • Popular Posts
  1. American Patriot -- a "real" tea partier

So now absolutely every person in the state of Arizona, whether they live there or are visiting, will be required to have papers on them establishing their identity because a cop could pull someone over (even someone with red hair and green eyes) on the mere suspicion that they may be an illegal alien.

I feel sorry for those people who don't understand why the term "Nazi" is used to describe this. We have several generations in this country that have no idea about history. They have no idea why THIS law is repugnant to any American who not only loves this country but doesn't want to see it fall into fascist hands (like the Bush regime). Imagine if the former paragraph was worded like this: So now absolutely every person in the country of Germany or any of its claimed territories, whether they live there or are visiting, will be required to have papers on them establishing their identity because a member of the SS could pull someone over (even someone with red hair and green eyes) on the mere suspicion that they may be Jewish.

If you don't see why the Arizona law is the proverbial slippery slope, then go re-read the history of 1930's Germany and how the Nazi laws regarding Jews were the precursor to it.

We have to secure our borders, we have to stop the influx of illegal immigrants - that's a no-brainer. The problem is the law states that the cop can pull anyone over they "think" might be illegal. How many times would a natural born citizen of this country be pulled over before they're ready to take up arms against a police state?

April 30, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  2. Save America, impeach the treasonous republicans

Too bad these alleged constitution supporters in Fox's tea bagging party never read the constitution. To say these wingnuts are opposed to big government is a joke.

April 30, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  3. marcia

Send all of the illegals back to Mexico.
    They are criminals and have absolutely no
    right to be here.
    Perhaps all those who think they should
    stay here should open their homes to them!
    Problem solved!
    They could adopt them!!! 🙂

April 30, 2010 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  4. Chris

You know what else is illegal? Downloading pirated movies and music.

I suggest that everytime the police sees or suspects someone with a cell phone, iPod, laptop, etc. They should demand that that person produce receipts for every single piece of digital media present on that device. If they can't, send them to jail.

Whaddya think?

Oh wait....not a fan of that? Maybe it's because checking iPods isn't targeting "other" people.

April 30, 2010 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  5. RAYMOND

That's because this law concerns "the other guy" in their view! Let's start stopping people from Canada and Europe – bet the law would change in a day! Ergo:

"they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."

April 30, 2010 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  6. Native NewYorker

Way to go Arizona I was in California and thats become one big waste land and its broke, I wonder why? You can be proud, true Americans are very Proud of you.

April 30, 2010 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  7. Jerry

I would like to see all the Obama supports cast the same view on the polls that say BHO is doing well as president. Deport all illegal aliens now.

April 30, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  8. Get used to it

Illegal is not a race............get used to it.

It is a law.....get used to it.

Don't show your papers net time you fly, see what happens

I find it interesting that those against this law side with the rapists, murderers, drug dealers and drug runners, and coyotes that take advantage of these illegal invaders. Funny how the "rights" of these illegal invaders are mort important that the "rights" of legal citizens.

April 30, 2010 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  9. Chris

This from a LEGAL IMMIGRANT into this country:
    "the problem with illegals isn't just the jobs they take. It's how they're overrunning towns like Phoenix, turning them into "mini-Mexicos" with their trash-filled streets and loud music, according to Schwartz.

Of equal concern to her friend, Martha Payan, is how she says illegal immigrants "fleece" government coffers by collecting welfare on multiple children, or vanish without a trace after an arrest or a hospital visit."

Now folks, I call these people INVADERS and it's up to our government to protect this country and it's citizens from the robbery, stealing, drug dealing that's going on by these INVADERS. It could be done in less than a year if our government would quit thinking about winning elections and start doing their jobs. When they cleanse these INVADERS from the welfare rolls they also need to start with the elimination of 'generational welfare' families and stop that nonsense as well.

April 30, 2010 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  10. Abdulhassan

I actually got called for this poll. They asked me if I heard of the law. I said yes. They asked if I was for or against it. I said yes. They then took some demographic info (age, sex, occupation) and said thank you. There was no attempt to influence my decision (unlike the NRA, who also likes to call me and ask loaded poll questions). A Facebook friend posted a response to my wall post saying I got gallup polled, and said when she told them she hadn't heard of the law, they just said ok and asked for her age/race etc.

April 30, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  11. Peace

I wish the could have taken the Polls of Lawyers who are fully aware of laws and can debate about them. Not layman like me, who just give the answer according to my feelings!

April 30, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  12. Dana

Polls also showed that allowing interracial marriage was extremely unpopular when it became legal.

Polls CAN show what people feel on a subject. But polls do not show what is right and what is wrong.

After 8 years of Bush, I'd have thought that the time for acting based on "Feeling" rather than logic and reasoning were over for a while.

April 30, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  13. John

Unless you have been the target of racial profiling, you might find it hard to understand the grief that this law brings to bear. Just consider this scenario: You are a naturalized citizen, with a Spanish accent. You work in construction, and you drive an old pick-up. You are on your way home from a hard day's work, and you get pulled over for a "fix-it" ticket. The officer asks you for your ID, and you provide him with your driver's license. Because of how you speak, and how you look, and possibily what section of town you are in, the officer suspects that you might be here illegally, so he asks for your "papers." Because you are a citizen, you have none to show him. Would he cart you off to jail, or hold you for the Border Patrol to check you out? Would you feel that his holding you while he checks things out would be OK? Be truthful.

Let's replace the individual in this scenario with a Canadian or Eastern European individual. Would they be a "suspect?" I think not.

We need immigration reform enacted by the Federal Government; the body that is constitutionally empowered to do so. Instead of writing comments on this string, perhaps you might consider writing an email to your representative in Congress and demand that they sit down and get this done without chest beating and gamesmanship. I have done so. Will you?

April 30, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  14. Amanda

To say that this law has anything to do with race is just unintelligent. No one cares what color you are If you came into this country illegally and you are sucking up resources that you don't pay any taxes for, then you need to get out! As for all the illegals who are protesting, news flash: your opinion does not matter because this is not your country and therefore you don't get a say in the laws we make. I can't belive that there is even a debate going on about this, no other country in the world let's people just flood over their boarders and yet the US gets called a bunch of racist bigots when we try to make it illegal to be here ILLEGALY. I couldn't march my butt into Mexico without documentation, and something tells me they wouldn't worry about hurting my feelings by asking for some papers. I am glad that a law maker finally stopped worrying about possibly offending someone and just did what is right for the country.

April 30, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  15. Roger

This is the Clinton News Network. Why would they skew a poll towards the right, or even the center for that matter. This appears to be a realisitic sampling of american's opinions. The administration is passing off the Tea as fast passing fart, but America is waking up and this is States rights Vs. the evergrowing long arm of the Federal Goverment. People are tired of being ignored for working, paying taxes, and abiding by the law.

April 30, 2010 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  16. volunteer

This law is half right. Being an undocumented person in the United States should be illegal without question. It over reaches however when it encourages police officers to question "suspicous" persons about their legal status. What happens to an American born woman that gets pulled over by a cop and the cop doesn't believe that she is legal? That is a recipe for a lawsuit for Arizona.

April 30, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  17. Len (Colorado)

Sad that 31% of Americans do not know about the law. That tells us alot about the ignorance of our country.

April 30, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  18. Victim of GOP Taliban

Political hot potato. Either way – the parties will get divided and lose supporters no matter what side they take. Amnesty is political suicide – but might please hispanic voters.

April 30, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  19. WHAT

The same people who brought them here to work for slave wages are the same people that want them out now.

April 30, 2010 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  20. CNN the great mis-communicator

To me the poll says nothing except for the fact that YET AGAIN there is great division over a political issue. We have CNN, Fox and MSNBC to thank for this.

Y'know, when we get done killing eachother in another civil war, one way of healing the nation would be to hang the network heads from the nearest flagpole. The networks are the reason the populace is misinformed, and it is totally planned.

You want to be informed? Turn off the TV and computer; walk down the road to the store, and buy a copy of the New York Times. And read an ACTUAL newspaper.

April 30, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  21. Independent Joe

I think we should move all the democrats that sympathize with the illegal aliens to a border town. I am sure after a few days they would find themselves on board with the rest of us.

April 30, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  22. Anonymous

Thank God one state has the testicular fortitude to actually inforce imigration laws. I don't think that Arizona givs a rat's A _ _ about what anyone else thinks. The bottom line is they are doing the right thing.

April 30, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  23. jan

I really feel sorry for any of the border states who have so many problems with these invaders. Why does everyone seem to think that if you oppose illegals you are automatically a republican? I am an independent who believes in the laws of our country and since our do nothing government does what they do best,,,DO NOTHING... then it forces the states to take action. They are not wanting to profile anything or anybody and are not suggesting anything that isn't already laws. All they want to do is to be free to administer the law like it should be. Also, all immigrants are required by federal law to show their proof of citizenship whenever asked. The same as I need to provide my drivers license whenever asked by an officer of the law. It also is saying that when they have reason to suspect, just like if an officer thinks there is a reason to suspect a DWI. What about the checkpoints where they stop every car?? That should be illegal too then. We need to grow up and stop all this stupid talk about profiling and see that our laws are enforced.

April 30, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  24. Len (Colorado)

Arizona has adopted these laws in the last 6 months:

1. Stripped Health Care from 310,000 people to save money.
    2. Stripped "Kids Care" from 47,000 children(Health Care) to save money.
    3. Signed into law that people in Arizona can carry concealed weapons with out background checks and registration.
    4. Cut Funding to the all Arizona schools.
    5. And now, an immigration bill that can and probably will lead to racial prof. Many police officers in AZ. are against this law.

Defintely a State I want to live in...not.

April 30, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  25. SMA

I once heard someone explain this in such a way that makes so much sense. If someone comes to your front door, knocks and asks to come in, they are welcome. If they sneek in your back door without your okay, what would you do?

April 30, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |