July 14th, 2010

Angle on refusing 'mainstream media' interviews: 'There's no earnings for me'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/07/14/art.sharronangle.file6.gi.jpg caption =" Nevada Senate candidate Sharron Angle is explained Wednesday why she routinely refuses to do mainstream media interviews. "]Washington (CNN) - Nevada Senate candidate Sharron Angle is explaining why she routinely refuses to do mainstream media interviews, saying that "there's no earnings for me there."

The Republican made the comments to David Brody of The Christian Broadcasting Network in an interview on Tuesday. Angle is battling to oust Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in the November election.

"People say that I went 'dark.' I didn't," Angle said. "I have done over 60 interviews. I quit counting a couple of weeks ago. But the whole point of an interview is to use it like they say, 'earned media,' to earn something with it. And I'm not going to earn anything from people who are there to badger me and use my words to batter me with."

The candidate went on to explain how mainstream media interviews won't pay off for her campaign politically – or financially.

"Well I say I need a million people with $25 dollars and so that's really been the focus of using all that earned media to earn that $25 that we need to go really and be competitive in this race and so that's what we've been doing so we're not hiding,' she said.

Later, Angle asked this about "mainstream media" outlets: "Well, in that audience will they let me say I need $25 dollars from a million people go to Sharron Angle.com send money?"

Since winning Nevada's GOP primary, Angle has often granted interviews with conservative, largely friendly media outlets. But that is not so different from other political candidates who also, frequently, steer clear of potentially hostile interviews from journalists they deem unfriendly.

Angle has done at least one high-profile mainstream interview, with political journalist Jon Ralston on the Nevada program, Face to Face on KVBC in Las Vegas and KRNV in Reno.

Speaking with CNN, Ralston criticized Angle's stance on who she grants interviews to.

When reminded that Angle is employing a tactic that is similar to other politicians, Ralston said: "Every time a politician goes on TV they certainly hope that it will help them rather than hurt them…But you rarely hear politicians so explicitly say, 'I go and do interviews so I can get money for my campaign.' I've never seen anyone say that."

As for Angle's opponent, Sen. Reid, Ralston said, "Does he avoid people he thinks are hostile? I would guess so. But he can't avoid everybody and he does do a press [conference] very frequently on Capitol Hill."

In Angle's June 29 interview with Ralston, she denied critics claims that she's avoided reporters by hiding in an "underground bunker."

But Angle has avoided reporter questions at some times.

At a recent event in Nevada, a local television reporter pressed Angle on some of her controversial past comments on "getting out of…Social Security" and eliminating the Environmental Protection Agency.

Angle initially answered the reporter's questions, saying that she advocates a transition to personalized accounts for Social Security and blasting the EPA's role in the Gulf Coast oil spill.

Then Angle appeared to become angry with the reporter. She was pressed to explain her comment that, "If this Congress keeps going the way it is, people are really looking toward those Second Amendment remedies and saying, 'My goodness, what can we do to turn this country around?'"

Angle refused to answer that question, prompting the reporter to chase her on foot outside the event. That scene, caught on tape, sparked a viral video on the internet.

In her interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network, Angle explained her campaign's logic behind answering some reporters' questions, while refusing to interview with others.

"We're looking at how can we best benefit from the media," she said.

Reid's campaign is responding to Angle's comments.

"It's interesting that she finally admits that she's dodging mainstream media," Reid campaign spokesman Jon Summers told CNN.

Summers criticized Angle's positions on Social Security, the EPA and on other items.

"At some point Nevada voters are going to expect some answers on all those issues," he said.

"If you want to be a senator, you've got to be willing to talk to all of your constituents."

Filed under: 2010 • Nevada • Sharron Angle
  1. disgusted

To 'use my words to batter me with'? So she doesn't mean what she says or she doesn't think she should elaborate? Which is it?

July 14, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  2. jeff in SF

Very true – Angle has nothing to gain from people "using her words" – clearly her best bet is to keep her mouth shut.

July 14, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  3. Larry

There won't be any earnings for her after November either!

This moron reminds me so much of Palin.

July 14, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  4. vic

What she is thinking ? may be she wants to stay in Nevada

July 14, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  5. Eric

I've been saying this for a long time... there is no reason for conservatives to grant interviews with the hostile liberal MSM.

There is no win in it for them.

"Hey conservatives... these people do not like you and they are not going to give you a fair shake. Don't bother."

The best end result a conservative can get from doing an interview with the lamestream media is simply walking away unscathed, and that, frankly, is not likely to happen.

That said, the odds are stacked against you and interviewing with liberal media darlings is simply a losing proposition... you'd have better odds going to Vegas and hitting a million bucks, and we KNOW that's not going to happen.

July 14, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  6. jim

soooooooo, it's best to keep things a secret so the voters won't know what you're about?

why am i not surprised she's a republican?

July 14, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  7. snow

Why should she do interviews with the lame brained media when their total audience combined is less than one cable news channel. They do not report on the new black panther party stating its time to kill cracker babies etc but let there be a lie about the tea party and they play it up as fact.

July 14, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  8. anotherGDlefty

"And I'm not going to earn anything from people who are there to badger me and use my words to batter me with."

If you are a NV voter, are you paying attention to this woman?

Using HER OWN words is considered battering her. She has clearly stated her personal beliefs before she denied them.

Nevada, is this who you want to represent you?

July 14, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  9. JJ in NY

Interview with the corrupt and liberal-biased "mainstream" media ?

July 14, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  10. Jimbo (The Real One)

If she gets elected then what...? Only the Christian Broadcast Network and FOX get access to her in office? That would not sit well with me if I lived in Nevada...

July 14, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  11. jeff jackson, alabama

What politician who isn't far left is foolish enough
    to do a mainstream media interview ?
    I have never seen such blatant hostility toward
    guess on talk shows as I have the last 10 years.
    The Oberman's, Maddows, The view panel, all get
    red veins sticking out on their heads as soon as they
    introduce their conservative prey to their audiences.

July 14, 2010 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  12. Not Republican

Angle is right, she doesn't benefit when an interviewer exposes her weaknesses. She needs to stick with the Fox News sort that will only ask questions that maintain pure ignorance of the viewer. The less you know, the better she looks.

July 14, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  13. Steph

"Me Me Me Me Me Me Me! It's all about ME! What's in it for ME?" Sure sounds like someone else we know. Maybe she should just get herself a facebook page and a twitter account and send short sharky statements out that way.

July 14, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  14. Hope For Change

The MSM has brought this on themselves. Conservative candidates – particularly women – are subjected to ambush questions and offensive questions as we saw with Sarah Palin's interviews. "Where do you get your news?" As if she couldn't possibly be aware of any real current events. If the MSM is just going to try to embarrass conservative candidates instead of interviewing them with straight up questions then of course they will no longer get those interviews. It's just further fracturing of the media. Conservatives will talk to FNC and Liberals will talk to the MSM. Independents will have to watch both to formulate there opinions. But please... don't try to claim impartiality on the part of the MSM anymore. That insults all of us.

July 14, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  15. Bill

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

July 14, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  16. Rich

What did they say???? "if you can't stand the heat, you don't belong in the kitchen!" Tea Party quack!

July 14, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  17. Gil

Until I read more about Sharron I realized that Sarah Palin wasn't the most stupid woman in politics. She's only second behing Angle.

July 14, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  18. Sniffit

Translation: "Just like you've accused, I have no intention of being interviewed by anyone who is not pre-disposed to agree with me and will therefore serve me softball questions, half of which my campaign managers gave him. I can't think on my feet and am actually quite aware that most of my policy positions and ideological nincompoopery is completely baseless, indefensible drivel, so I can't risk it being exposed. I have to maintain plausible deniability so I can pretend I'm just being victimized by anyone who points out that I'm a certifiable opportunist and wingnut."

July 14, 2010 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  19. dave

enjoy your life not getting elected you wacko.... people like you scare me...

July 14, 2010 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  20. Dumbasrocks [R]s

Well, she's not as abjectly dumb as she appears. Apparently she learned form Palin's experience. Don't expose your hypocrisy and stupidity to the voting populace regularly. Just speak to the hand-selected crowds and the people who fawn over the faux media outlets - you know, all those people that enjoy hearing how America can regress into the Dark Ages - you know, all those real amerikans.

July 14, 2010 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  21. FRANK - LAS VEGAS

Translation: I don't want to answer any Real questions about my believes. I only take softball questions, I mess those up enough, imagine if they were real questions?!?

Vote NO in NOvember to the party of NO.

July 14, 2010 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  22. Marie MD

As if the quitter and her trailer trash famly aren't bad enough we now have angle?
    Is this woman nuts? I am not laughing. I want to know if she is on some drug like limberger.
    She looks, talks and acts like she has a screw lose.

July 14, 2010 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  23. JGB

Don't blame her for that.........everyone knows the media is biased in favor of Democrats.............just look at Obama, they even threw Hillary under the bus in favor of Obama. Media needs to do their job and REPORT not slant the facts. Look where that got us....had the facts about Obama been exposed, there is NO way he would be president right now, Hillary would and that would have been a whole lot better for the country right now.

July 14, 2010 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  24. normajean

Probably the reason she is still being asked for interviews is that we are waiting for her to say something that makes sense. If Nevada gets this woman for Governor, they will live to regret it. Her ideas are so far out and destructive that the state will pay dearly for anything she does if she wins the race. I know Nevada is famous for fun and gambling, but this TOO BIG A GAMBLE for the state to take.

July 14, 2010 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  25. Ben in Texas

How much plainer can Angle make it? She's the candidate of the far right wing, including teabaggers and Christo-fascists. She has no interest in communicating with or representing ordinary Americans, although she'll accept any votes she can get.

July 14, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |