July 14th, 2010

Angle on refusing 'mainstream media' interviews: 'There's no earnings for me'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/07/14/art.sharronangle.file6.gi.jpg caption =" Nevada Senate candidate Sharron Angle is explained Wednesday why she routinely refuses to do mainstream media interviews. "]Washington (CNN) - Nevada Senate candidate Sharron Angle is explaining why she routinely refuses to do mainstream media interviews, saying that "there's no earnings for me there."

The Republican made the comments to David Brody of The Christian Broadcasting Network in an interview on Tuesday. Angle is battling to oust Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in the November election.

"People say that I went 'dark.' I didn't," Angle said. "I have done over 60 interviews. I quit counting a couple of weeks ago. But the whole point of an interview is to use it like they say, 'earned media,' to earn something with it. And I'm not going to earn anything from people who are there to badger me and use my words to batter me with."

The candidate went on to explain how mainstream media interviews won't pay off for her campaign politically – or financially.

"Well I say I need a million people with $25 dollars and so that's really been the focus of using all that earned media to earn that $25 that we need to go really and be competitive in this race and so that's what we've been doing so we're not hiding,' she said.

Later, Angle asked this about "mainstream media" outlets: "Well, in that audience will they let me say I need $25 dollars from a million people go to Sharron Angle.com send money?"

Since winning Nevada's GOP primary, Angle has often granted interviews with conservative, largely friendly media outlets. But that is not so different from other political candidates who also, frequently, steer clear of potentially hostile interviews from journalists they deem unfriendly.

Angle has done at least one high-profile mainstream interview, with political journalist Jon Ralston on the Nevada program, Face to Face on KVBC in Las Vegas and KRNV in Reno.

Speaking with CNN, Ralston criticized Angle's stance on who she grants interviews to.

When reminded that Angle is employing a tactic that is similar to other politicians, Ralston said: "Every time a politician goes on TV they certainly hope that it will help them rather than hurt them…But you rarely hear politicians so explicitly say, 'I go and do interviews so I can get money for my campaign.' I've never seen anyone say that."

As for Angle's opponent, Sen. Reid, Ralston said, "Does he avoid people he thinks are hostile? I would guess so. But he can't avoid everybody and he does do a press [conference] very frequently on Capitol Hill."

In Angle's June 29 interview with Ralston, she denied critics claims that she's avoided reporters by hiding in an "underground bunker."

But Angle has avoided reporter questions at some times.

At a recent event in Nevada, a local television reporter pressed Angle on some of her controversial past comments on "getting out of…Social Security" and eliminating the Environmental Protection Agency.

Angle initially answered the reporter's questions, saying that she advocates a transition to personalized accounts for Social Security and blasting the EPA's role in the Gulf Coast oil spill.

Then Angle appeared to become angry with the reporter. She was pressed to explain her comment that, "If this Congress keeps going the way it is, people are really looking toward those Second Amendment remedies and saying, 'My goodness, what can we do to turn this country around?'"

Angle refused to answer that question, prompting the reporter to chase her on foot outside the event. That scene, caught on tape, sparked a viral video on the internet.

In her interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network, Angle explained her campaign's logic behind answering some reporters' questions, while refusing to interview with others.

"We're looking at how can we best benefit from the media," she said.

Reid's campaign is responding to Angle's comments.

"It's interesting that she finally admits that she's dodging mainstream media," Reid campaign spokesman Jon Summers told CNN.

Summers criticized Angle's positions on Social Security, the EPA and on other items.

"At some point Nevada voters are going to expect some answers on all those issues," he said.

"If you want to be a senator, you've got to be willing to talk to all of your constituents."

Filed under: 2010 • Nevada • Sharron Angle
  1. Grundoon

Funny that she referenced chicken in her primary campaign. She sure is one herself. She's toast.

July 14, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  2. Al-NY,NY

In other words, she will only do interviews from friendly sources who lob softball "loaded" questions where she can spout her drivel. She continues to drive her campaign into the toilet with these idiotic comments.

July 14, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  3. Jim in San Mateo

Is that how Ms. Angle deals with problems, by running away from them? That's the absence of leadership we have in Washington now, not the real leadership we need.

If you can't walk into a room filled with people who don't like you and have a civil conversation, you don't deserve to be a senator.

July 14, 2010 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  4. Future expat

To borrow a phrase popular among birthers, "What is [she] hiding"?

I'm a raging liberal and I would NEVER vote for a Democrat who only gave interviews to places like MSNBC, HuffingtonPost, NPR, etc.

I'll never understand why Republicans are so eager to vote for people who must be shielded at all times and whose views must be kept as secret as possible.

July 14, 2010 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  5. tcaros

Another woman Republican that's a kook.

Here's a list: Sarah Palin, Barbara Bachman, Christine Whitman, and Sharon Angle. All twits and kooks.

July 14, 2010 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  6. Dano

If letting the people you want to vote for you get to know you and your views is not reward enough for Ms. Angle, then she probably needs to stay out of politics. It makes you wonder if she really doesn't want the voters to learn anything about her.

July 14, 2010 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  7. Ken in NC

That woman must be Sarah Palin's cousin because she is an IDIOT too.

July 14, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  8. Minesh - troy, MI

Sharron knows the liberal media well and how the lynchmob went after Palin.

In fact – she will lose my support if she did any interview with ABC,CBS,NBC and MSNBC.

July 14, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  9. kd

what an idiot.

Nevada, please don't be so stupid as to elect this fool.

July 14, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  10. onlysanetexanleft

Wow! This lady makes Palin seem like a scholar. I guess she can always just post her comments to Facebook and then have "respected" outlets like CNN reprint the entire rants...I mean comments in their website as they did again this morning with Palin's latest Facebook rant.

July 14, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  11. Fed Up!

What Angle is saying is that she doesn't want to be challenged by anybody, nor does she want to be accountable to anyone or any organization that might have a different point of view than she does.

Were I a Nevada resident, I wouldn't vote for her.

July 14, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  12. popnsa

You have got to be kidding me...no interviews because somebody might be mean to her, ask her a "gotcha" question about her core beliefs....this is the kind of person who aspires to be in out Congress???? Really?????

July 14, 2010 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  13. Deb n Texas

That's normal to hide from the mainstream media when you brain is the size of Sarah Palin's.

July 14, 2010 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  14. tj

I am indep. Are we the american so dumb that we will vote for her even if u don't like Sen reid. Ask her what she will do for the constituents in her state. Real solutions should win this november unless all americans will suffer

July 14, 2010 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  15. Nathan

Cuckoo in Nevada!!

July 14, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  16. hypocricnnation

Sharon Angle Doesn't Appear On Mainstream Television, I Wonder Why? Maybe They Can't Afford Enough Mascara To Cover That Wicked Witch Of The West (North, South, And East) Look! Or Maybe She's Afraid Of The Tough Questions, Where She Might Get Caught In A Rand Paul Moment Of Admitting Their Bigotry And Pure Ignorance.

July 14, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  17. Dems kill jobs

Angle is better than Reid.

Compare how the media treated Obama compared to McCain. There was an almost 30% difference in positive articles. Also, the 'mainstream' media was extremely unfair to Sarah Palin (who I didn't/don't want as presiden...), why would they be any fairer to Angle.

Reid stinks. Vote for Angle.

July 14, 2010 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  18. Chris

Very insightful comments. Sounds like a complete narsicsist and money chaser. That's the LAST thing we need in politics.

July 14, 2010 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  19. Chad from Tampa

I don't blame her, the mainstream media is so biased they don't even realize it, right CNN?

July 14, 2010 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  20. Andrew

Look to the 2nd amendment? Does she mean shoot people out of frustration? Does she think a Senator can completely avoid questions they don't want to answer? I am no fan of Harry Reid, but who honestly thinks this is a better choice?

July 14, 2010 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  21. jeff

Saw her on C-span the other day... wow, what a political train wreck she is. Just absolutely bush league. Harry Reid is a political hack way past his time, but this woman shouldn't be allowed to run a PTA meeting.

July 14, 2010 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  22. La Piovra

Clearly, it is in her interest to avoid the mainstream media. Equally clearly, it is in the public's interest for the media to pursue her. She has already stated she is in favor of incestuous reproduction and armed insurrection, and against anything that will benefit the working class. Electing people like her to office can only institute a kakocracy, and all the voters need to know it.

July 14, 2010 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  23. skorpeo

...and the republican party continues to be the party of exclusiveness. how long do they think they can survive if they refuse to accept new members or reach out to those outside their party?

July 14, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  24. Darrel from Denver

And, I am sure she sees this as totally acceptable.

I won't talk to you because you might challenge me. What sort of representative will that get you? Oh yeah, a holy roller brainless, yet highly toxic and dangerous, one that will move quickly to destroy the America we have today in favor of the theocracy she would prefer.

July 14, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  25. rdepontb

I won't go out there with people who use my words to badger me with-Missy, it seems like you did our own badgering of your own self with your own words.

It takes constant vigilance over one's appearance, in all aspects, to show what is really going on inside one's head. You, unfortunately for those who have supported your campaign, have shown the world what you are thinking and how you are thinking. Good day, ma'am.

July 14, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |