July 22nd, 2010

At 'press conference,' Angle answers no questions

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/07/14/art.sharronangle.file6.gi.jpg caption ="Sharron Angle walked out of a campaign stop Wednesday without answering questions from reporters."](CNN) – Press-shy Nevada Republican Senate hopeful Sharron Angle walked out of a campaign stop Wednesday without answering questions from reporters, even after the event was billed by her campaign as a news conference.

Held at a Reno-area business, the event was promoted on the Angle campaign website as a "press conference" in which Angle was to publicly sign a "death tax repeal pledge."

But after delivering a short speech, Angle turned away and left the event without allowing reporters to ask questions. Local media outlets followed Angle out of the business and to a vehicle.

"She has to go, I am sorry," a man is heard saying as he escorted Angle. "We're running behind, I'm sorry."

Angle is battling to oust Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in the November election.

And avoiding the press has become a campaign issue in the Senate race. National Democrats quickly pointed to the event as another instance of Angle avoiding the media. Angle has said in the past that she believes she gains very little from conducting interviews with "mainstream media" outlets.

Since winning Nevada's GOP primary, Angle has often granted interviews with largely friendly conservative media outlets. But that is not so different from other political candidates who also, frequently, steer clear of potentially hostile interviews from journalists they deem unfriendly.

The Republican did grant an interview to David Brody of The Christian Broadcasting Network earlier this month in which she explained her media strategy.

"People say that I went 'dark.' I didn't," Angle said. "I have done over 60 interviews. I quit counting a couple of weeks ago. But the whole point of an interview is to use it like they say, 'earned media,' to earn something with it. And I'm not going to earn anything from people who are there to badger me and use my words to batter me with."

The candidate went on to explain how mainstream media interviews won't pay off for her campaign politically – or financially.

"Well I say I need a million people with $25 dollars and so that's really been the focus of using all that earned media to earn that $25 that we need to go really and be competitive in this race and so that's what we've been doing so we're not hiding,' she said.

Later, Angle asked this about "mainstream media" outlets: "Well, in that audience will they let me say I need $25 dollars from a million people go to Sharron Angle.com send money?"

Angle has done at least one high-profile mainstream interview, with political journalist Jon Ralston's Face to Face program on KVBC in Las Vegas and KRNV in Reno.

Speaking with CNN after his Angle sit-down, Ralston criticized Angle's approach to the media.

When reminded that Angle is employing a tactic that is similar to other politicians, Ralston said: "Every time a politician goes on TV they certainly hope that it will help them rather than hurt them. ... But you rarely hear politicians so explicitly say, 'I go and do interviews so I can get money for my campaign.' I've never seen anyone say that."

As for Angle's opponent, Sen. Reid, Ralston said, "Does he avoid people he thinks are hostile? I would guess so. But he can't avoid everybody and he does do a press [conference] very frequently on Capitol Hill."

- CNN's Shannon Travis contributed to this report

Filed under: 2010 • Nevada • Sharron Angle
  1. Peter s

Thats another wacko American Hater!! with no solution just a big baggy mouth with no substance coming from it!

July 21, 2010 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  2. Riley

SHe may not be the best candidate the republicans could have nominated, but she is clearly far better than Reid.

July 21, 2010 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  3. Superhiro

"Use my words to batter me with" Is that really what she's complaining about? Hey moron, maybe you shouldn't have said those words then huh? Is she frickin serious? She's basically saying. "I don't want to talk to the media because they'll quote me and I'll look stupid." Yes Sharon... yes you will.

July 21, 2010 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  4. Jay

Reminds of another lady who didn't like to answer questions. This one, later, was proven to be an idiot after people realized that all she had to speak about were memorized talking points. I think that idiot's name was Palin or something.

July 21, 2010 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  5. Progressive

What a partisan hack job, you must be on the journolist. I don't hear you screaming about Obama dissing the WH press for month after month.

July 21, 2010 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  6. PaulC

Apparently Sarah Palin has a sister.

July 21, 2010 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  7. chill

I guess she had no news to report.

July 21, 2010 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  8. JonDie

Everything the illiterate Angle says is a joke. It's no wonder that's she's trying to avoid saying anything.

July 21, 2010 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  9. Marie MD

This woman is running for office? I really and truly don't believe the people of Nevada are dumb eough to vote for her but she is one scary individual. Has she changed her website again? She's such a flip flopper, no, I can't even call her that – she's just plain nuts!!!
    Here is somebody who doesn't answer a single question. Has no platform except to twist questions or comments around to demean Reid and she expects to win an election?
    From what I have seen she is not running behind, she is running from real reporters who want answers.

July 21, 2010 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  10. Chuck

The estate tax impacts the top 2% of American's. Not sure how they can make this a campaign issue if the Democrats clearly explain what the tax is and who it impacts. I think most voters would consider it a non-issue.

July 21, 2010 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  11. Hmm...

Is she related to palin...maybe schoolmates? Definitely something in common between the two...

July 21, 2010 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  12. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

What is the point to a press conference where there are no questions taken and answered? This woman is afraid and must be ashamed or frightened of what she believes in to hide like this.

July 21, 2010 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  13. thor

So Harry Reid is able to do the same thing and not a peep from the media.Talk about double standards .geez !!!!

July 21, 2010 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  14. Ken in NC

Sharron Angle says that she believes she gains very little from conducting interviews with "mainstream media" outlets.

NEWS ALLERT.............NEWS ALERT
    No one else gains anything from you doing any kind of an interview but we all have figured out that you do fit the definition of a politician. Everything you do is for money. OTHER PEOPLES MONEY.

July 21, 2010 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  15. Rolling Barrel

I have no direct ties to NV so its not of my concern voting wise... but how could anyone expect her to win?!? She can say she stands for all these theoretical ideals but has no explanation how to get to her "goals." In addition, when she IS in office if she wins, she will kinda have to talk to some NEWS outlets and not just the people who parrot the GOP / Tea Party talking points. Its a total joke that she has not spoken to any national media.

July 21, 2010 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  16. lsboogy

if Nevada elects her to a US Senate seat, they will collectively admit to severe ignorance.

July 21, 2010 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  17. Dawn Ada, Ohio

Although she is a tea partier, she obviously is a republican because she is all about NO. No questions, No Answers and NO solutions!!

July 21, 2010 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  18. hypocricnnation

A Rolling Stone (Or Angle) Gathers No Moss!

July 21, 2010 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  19. KJ

Does that include Fox News?

July 21, 2010 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  20. t in ga

Just another tea party wing nut who can't defend her position when that position is subjected to real and sometimes tough questioning.

July 21, 2010 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  21. Frank in Valparaiso Indiana

Gee, that WAS the right wing idea of a press conference. They show up, press is there, they give their lies, press writes it down. You don't expect accountability from the fascists do you?

July 21, 2010 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  22. John from Brooklyn

Regarding her billing the event as a press conference, there are simply 2 words that apply...

"She lied."

July 21, 2010 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  23. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

Typical GOP.....

July 21, 2010 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  24. Brian Orlando

Republicans have to hide from the truth... they can't handle the truth!

July 21, 2010 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  25. Sgt. USMC

Well, she at least got her name on CNN before being destroyed by Reid come November. Poor republican'ts think that voting no is going to get people on their side. They think that playing the "big government" card will make us forget that THEY KILLED THOUSANDS OF MARINES, SOLDIERS AND SAILORS against the wishes of our own people. I curse the republican'ts and everything they stand for. All of their fear mongering can only go so far. LET'S VOTE THE REPUBS OUT IN NOVEMBER!!!

July 21, 2010 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |