July 22nd, 2010

At 'press conference,' Angle answers no questions

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/07/14/art.sharronangle.file6.gi.jpg caption ="Sharron Angle walked out of a campaign stop Wednesday without answering questions from reporters."](CNN) – Press-shy Nevada Republican Senate hopeful Sharron Angle walked out of a campaign stop Wednesday without answering questions from reporters, even after the event was billed by her campaign as a news conference.

Held at a Reno-area business, the event was promoted on the Angle campaign website as a "press conference" in which Angle was to publicly sign a "death tax repeal pledge."

But after delivering a short speech, Angle turned away and left the event without allowing reporters to ask questions. Local media outlets followed Angle out of the business and to a vehicle.

"She has to go, I am sorry," a man is heard saying as he escorted Angle. "We're running behind, I'm sorry."

Angle is battling to oust Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in the November election.

And avoiding the press has become a campaign issue in the Senate race. National Democrats quickly pointed to the event as another instance of Angle avoiding the media. Angle has said in the past that she believes she gains very little from conducting interviews with "mainstream media" outlets.

Since winning Nevada's GOP primary, Angle has often granted interviews with largely friendly conservative media outlets. But that is not so different from other political candidates who also, frequently, steer clear of potentially hostile interviews from journalists they deem unfriendly.

The Republican did grant an interview to David Brody of The Christian Broadcasting Network earlier this month in which she explained her media strategy.

"People say that I went 'dark.' I didn't," Angle said. "I have done over 60 interviews. I quit counting a couple of weeks ago. But the whole point of an interview is to use it like they say, 'earned media,' to earn something with it. And I'm not going to earn anything from people who are there to badger me and use my words to batter me with."

The candidate went on to explain how mainstream media interviews won't pay off for her campaign politically – or financially.

"Well I say I need a million people with $25 dollars and so that's really been the focus of using all that earned media to earn that $25 that we need to go really and be competitive in this race and so that's what we've been doing so we're not hiding,' she said.

Later, Angle asked this about "mainstream media" outlets: "Well, in that audience will they let me say I need $25 dollars from a million people go to Sharron Angle.com send money?"

Angle has done at least one high-profile mainstream interview, with political journalist Jon Ralston's Face to Face program on KVBC in Las Vegas and KRNV in Reno.

Speaking with CNN after his Angle sit-down, Ralston criticized Angle's approach to the media.

When reminded that Angle is employing a tactic that is similar to other politicians, Ralston said: "Every time a politician goes on TV they certainly hope that it will help them rather than hurt them. ... But you rarely hear politicians so explicitly say, 'I go and do interviews so I can get money for my campaign.' I've never seen anyone say that."

As for Angle's opponent, Sen. Reid, Ralston said, "Does he avoid people he thinks are hostile? I would guess so. But he can't avoid everybody and he does do a press [conference] very frequently on Capitol Hill."

- CNN's Shannon Travis contributed to this report

Filed under: 2010 • Nevada • Sharron Angle
  1. sanford

Another biased GOPer.
    Give me a break,AMERICA IS BETTER OFF WO GOP MADNESS.

July 21, 2010 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  2. TruthBreaker

Obama has done ONE real question answering news conference since he took office... Harry Reid hasn't done any

July 21, 2010 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  3. breitbart the besotted

I heard she turned down an interview with Sesame Street, " The questions are about my policy positions but more importantly they wouldn`t give me cookies and milk. "

July 21, 2010 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  4. Kate

Why are they all so paranoid and swcretive? Cheney was a master at this. Our entire energy policy was formed in secret. Just one of the many things that bother me about the extreme right. No concept of the public's right to know.

July 21, 2010 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  5. DENNA

I'll bet she didn't answer any questions. Much like Sarah Palin, this woman is a idiot and is afraid to answer questions because there will then be proof of her lack of intelligence. Seriously, aren't there any smart Republican women who can run for these offices? Women like Palin, Angle and Bachmann are a disgrace to smart women everywhere.

July 21, 2010 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  6. Rob Johnson

This woman makes Sarah Palin look good in comparison.

She is clearly in over her head, more so than any political figure I can remember since Harriet Myers was nominated for the Supreme Court.

And much like Myers, she doesn't stand a chance.

July 21, 2010 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  7. Sam

I smell a chicken.

July 21, 2010 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  8. roro

Angle is afraid to talk to reporters. They might ask her a question that would show her up for the lunatic fraud that she is. And don't bother going to her website. It's been completely redone so as not to reflect her actual positions, which are abhorrent to most rational people.

July 21, 2010 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  9. Larry

What's the matter? Weren't her mouth pieces around?

July 21, 2010 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  10. Bob, Virginia

The good people of Nevada are smart enough to NOT vote for this nutbag.

July 21, 2010 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  11. Patriot

It's obvious that this idiot doesn't have a clue.

July 21, 2010 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  12. Jilli

"At 'press conference,' Angle answers no questions"

This is news?

July 21, 2010 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  13. Jonathan

I thought the point of doing press conferences and interviews was to share your proposals and positions with the general public. For Angle, it's only about raising campaign money?

July 21, 2010 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  14. Watchdog

When are you going to ask (Soon to be former) Senator Reid why he thinks there are no illegal aliens working construction in Nevada?.......never...of course.....this is CNN after all

July 21, 2010 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  15. Victim of GOP Taliban

Sure that's a good excuse Sharon. She and Rand Paul were simply the only ones honest enough to admit to wanting to get rid of Social Security and other government programs. Now all of sudden people are finally starting to realize what this new Republican radical wacked agenda is all about.

July 21, 2010 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  16. sandy

It's probably better that she not answer questions due to what she really believes in. Come on Nevada, keep Reid, at least he has half a brain.

July 21, 2010 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  17. Marcus Aurelius

Ms. Angle is continuing the class warfare that started when that puppet for the billionaires, Reagan was elected in 1980...She wants to repeal the estate tax, so wealth could be handed down and would create a permanent class of idle rich...A better solution would be a 100% estate tax which would ensure everyone earned what they owned & our country would continue to be a meritocracy, not an aristocracy...she isnt talking because she doenst have anything worthwhile to say

July 21, 2010 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  18. snow

I agree with her, why waste her time with a bunch of pretend journalists that are out to bash her anyway. The lame brained media are puppet's for the nobummer administration.

July 21, 2010 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  19. gr

This woman is straight up nuts like Sara Palin. I guest Sara Palin thinks she wouldn't have to answer any media question as well in 2012.

July 21, 2010 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  20. AFR531

Schedule debates-if she doesn't want to-then whoever votes for her should not be surprised if she doesn't answer to them either.

July 21, 2010 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  21. Richard Komi

The press and politicians are partners in dance steps. If some one running for an office as high as the United States senate avoids talking to the press then I would think twice before casting my vote for such a candidate. How else can the public know her position on the issues. In today's politics people vote on the issues and it is when a candidate comes before the press to air their views that the voters are able to decide who they will vote for. A press avoiding candidate is a candidate with no agenda and has no policy or simply lack ideas or solutions to the nation's problem. Such a candidate does not belong in the race or Washington. This particular candidate is pressphobia.

July 21, 2010 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  22. quincy in nashville

Give her credit, she is smart enough to know that most of her agenda is "off the chart" and tough to defend. Why would she subject herself to the public? It's not about working together for the good of he country-it is about ignoring and discounting any person or idea that gets in her way.

July 22, 2010 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  23. Four and The Door

It's Sharron Angle's job to get Harry Reid the heck out of Washington. In that regard, the vast majority of Americans are with her. Why should she let the 'more liberal than the average American' media have it's day trying to trip her up and twist what they can get to suit their needs. She's a smart woman and I look forward to her victory in November.

July 22, 2010 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  24. Brad Kirk

Who wants to hear from her anyway? Shes a nutcase

July 22, 2010 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  25. Keith in Austin

The only thing more beneficial to Angle not answering questions is the Liberal verbiage spewing from Harry Reid every day!

July 22, 2010 12:26 am at 12:26 am |