July 30th, 2010

Gingrich: Expect Sarah Palin for President in 2012

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/07/30/art.gingrich.file.gi.jpg caption=" Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Thursday he expects Sarah Palin to make a presidential run in 2012."]

Washington (CNN) - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, himself weighing a presidential run in 2012, said Thursday that he expects Sarah Palin to be among the Republican contenders seeking the GOP nomination.

Asked to size up the prospective field during an interview with conservative magazine Newsmax, Gingrich rattled off a list of Republicans he expects to run.

None of the politicians mentioned by Gingrich have announced a run for President, and Gingrich himself said he will announce his decision next year.

"Calista [his wife] and I, along with our family, will make that decision in February or March," Gingrich said. "For the moment, I'm totally focused on trying to help Republicans win the biggest possible election this fall."

Asked if Palin would be a strong candidate for President, Gingrich said she has the potential to be just that.

"I think she is already a very strong personality and has the potential to be a very strong candidate," Gingrich said.

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Sarah Palin
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

They all suck Newt, including you!!! I sure hope that hate mongerer Palin gets the republican nomination. She's so out of touch with minorities. From the looks of it, it looks like Silly Sarah is trying to follow in the footsteps of the POTUS by writing(fabricating) 2 books. The difference is that the President's books were actually enjoyable to read.

July 30, 2010 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  2. George of the jungle

God save us all. If she gets a nomination it means our school system isn't working at all. terrifying !!!!

July 30, 2010 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  3. Gpenn

I look forward to them all running. They will tear each other apart and then the Dems will get Sarah Palin to run against. I look forward to it. I do wish Tim Russert were still with us to give the running commentary on the fun. He would have loved it.

July 30, 2010 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  4. Marcus

First, let's make it clear that I am what can be described as a center-liberal, or if you preferr someone with progressive ideas (but not too progressive).
    And Gingrich and Palin are, as everybody knows, conservatives of the polarizing kind. In other words, people either respect them or disrespect them in full, no middle ground for them.
    That said, if the conservatives wish to get the independents and/or 'center something' folks' votes, they should NOT get polarizing individuals as their candidates.
    The 'real Americans' line is still ringing in my ears...

July 30, 2010 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  5. rs

"Well there are going to be lots of Republican running: Gov. Romney clearly, Gov. Palin, Gov. Huckabee, Gov. Mitch Daniels, Gov. Haley Barbour, Gov. Tim Pawlenty. I think John Thune, the senator from South Dakota is going to get in. Ron Paul is probably going to run again. So I think it will be a lively campaign, there will be a lot of good candidates," Gingrich said."

So I am confused. Romney, Paul (!), Palin (Ack!), Huckabee, Pawlenty et al. Lots of candidates clearly- by Newt said godd ones. Where are they? I wouldn't walk across the street to see any of them (and might run away from a few). I won't vote Republican if these are the choices. Surely, they have better....

July 30, 2010 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  6. Joey

Palin as Prez? Unthinkable. Well, Ditto for Bush and the US was tainted for 8 lllllllllllllooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggg years.

July 30, 2010 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  7. Bill

Really? She couldn't stand being Governor for an entire term! I am completely perplexed why we should even CONSIDER her for any other seat, regardless of what or where it is. She QUIT!!! She quit on her state and constituents. She has shown her true self, pretty on the outside saying the memorized phrases but empty on the inside. No substance what so ever! As far as I am concerned she is anathema!

July 30, 2010 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  8. Chuck Anaheim, Ca

Thats HALF TERM governor of Alaska mr gingrich.

July 30, 2010 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  9. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

We need more congressmen like Rep. Weiner and Rep. Grayson in Congress. They make me proud to be a New Yorker.

July 30, 2010 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  10. KEVIN

Not one of the people will win, President Obama will clean their clocks again. To bad the ReThugliCan't get a real person to run, because even I a loyal and staunch Democract will vote for a real Republican who has ideas, and solution for this country so far all I see is Re Thugli Can't and GOBP and Silly Tea Party. No ideas, No Solutions. If these people would take responsiblility for what their party has done to this country then maybe we can talk, but they walk around with their head in a cloud and worry about big business, Insurance Co.& Banks, and BP, yet they have no worries when it comes to the everyday citizens. So no I will not be voting ReThugliCan't not now, and the way it sames not ever.

July 30, 2010 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  11. Spotter

All those people look too qualified compared to the Pretender we have running the country now. Better get some people without any real world experience to run against Obama.

July 30, 2010 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  12. GL

I hope Sara Palin do run and get the nominee. It will be the best gift for the Dems. Sara Paln have continue to upset the minority votes and this will hurt her in 2012.

July 30, 2010 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  13. Bob Jones

PLease relocate this column to the Entertainment Ticker, Thanks.

July 30, 2010 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  14. vic

What happened to him what about Gov. Tim Pawlenty.

Republican I will vote for Obama again

July 30, 2010 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  15. newsh

None of these candidates can beat Obama even with his ratings down. Who among these people would get the independent & minority votes? If the Republicans want to win they need to modernize and come up with serious ideas to lay their foundations around. Waiting for the Democrats to fall on their faces and quickly criticizing in order to win isn't the best strategy.

July 30, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  16. Mike

Palin-Perry-please give us a Palin-Perry ticket for the Republican party. Please, please, please.

Palin and Perry both consider the possibility of secession from the United States for Alaska and Texas.

Let the American voters tell us if they want secessionists to lead the nation.

Please: Palin-Perry

Mike from Texas

July 30, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  17. dacajun

Peewee Herman would be better than what we got..

July 30, 2010 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  18. Donnatella

Hasn't he heard Palin can't even keep her on family together, how is she going to run a country, according to the DN Levi has another girl pregnant, Bristol is really to call off the wedding, do you really want to marry a man that is somebodies baby daddy, oh that's right he is her baby'd daddy. By the time young Levi is done he will probably have about 7 or 8 babies running around.

July 30, 2010 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  19. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

"Palin would have been a much better president that Obama."
    -------------------------------–
    That must be some good crack your smoking on out there in 1070ville.

July 30, 2010 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  20. Donnatella

Please excuse my spelling I am at work on my blackberry.

July 30, 2010 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  21. Ramon

They are both idiots

July 30, 2010 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  22. GDMS

All Republicans are smarter then any Democrat. If Sarah Palin runs she wins and destroys President Obama. Democrats be careful what you wish for.

July 30, 2010 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  23. Donnatella

Is Gingrich on drugs or something? First he actually thinks there are people dumb enough to vote for him now Palin, that must be some good stuff.

July 30, 2010 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  24. Belladonia

I hope that Sarah runs. That will be a guaranteed 2nd term for President Barack Obama.

July 30, 2010 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  25. Cario

I hope she wins the nomination for the GOP .. it will be so entertaining... I can see it already .... SNL .. Tina Fey .. ohh yess .. comical relief !!

July 30, 2010 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |